British Speedway Forum
speedy bill

Buxton Sqaure One

If they have British heritage why shouldn't they come over on a 3 point average? Don't forget that both Nick and Robert would of come in on 5 point averages if they had more experience. Both had very little time on 500's. Nick still has not raced a 500cc speedway bike in Australia.

I think its a fair system and as I've said before if British speedway would wake up and see the benfits of junior racing (you know the little bikes and little tracks) then we wouldn't have this constant bickering about how kids from Australia keep nicking young British riders spots.

Fact is if you are good enough you get a team...would you rather the National league be full of raw novices?

Its got to be good for British speedway to have talented kids from Australia raising the bar.

Provided the rules allow it (and they do) then that's fine. I've stated previously that I have no issue with the individuals or the fact that they are gifted (indeed if they weren't gifted then they probably wouldn't be here in the first place). It's the system that I don't like. With the BSPA's attitude the way it seems, then if a young Brit makes the higher levels of the sport them it is IN SPITE of the system rather than BECAUSE of it.

You make the point of junior racing and quite right too. The Danes have been promoting junior racing for years. We in Britain have compelling evidence that it works - but we seem to do stuff-all to encourage it in this country. Why is that?

If they have British heritage why shouldn't they come over on a 3 point average? Don't forget that both Nick and Robert would of come in on 5 point averages if they had more experience. Both had very little time on 500's. Nick still has not raced a 500cc speedway bike in Australia.

If these youngsters use their British heritage to ride in the NL then perhaps the BSPA should use it to insist that they ride for Britain and not the country where they were born... (just turning the arguement around...)

How many young riders would come over using their patriality to ride here if it was turned back on them and they had to ride as Brits if they got up to the required standard...

The kids just want to ride, I don't think it would make a scrap of difference to the majority.

get real we are now a league in our own right drop the stupid development name.any way keep your hands off the devils team find yourselfs a pole or cheqe or swede wait till the season is over before steeling our riders .you can have them guest but do not pinch them i pay good money to watch my team. :angry:

Don't really think that many PL teams will be battering your door down to sign the youthfull Simmonds, Stephens or even Smethills. For his own career, Starke should leave and try the next level asap. :)

The kids just want to ride, I don't think it would make a scrap of difference to the majority.

So Australian youngsters really wouldn't mind riding for Team GB - against Australian riders - in International meetings? That really surprises me...

get real we are now a league in our own right drop the stupid development name.any way keep your hands off the devils team find yourselfs a pole or cheqe or swede wait till the season is over before steeling our riders .you can have them guest but do not pinch them i pay good money to watch my team. :angry:

Perhaps the reason that Plymouth are doing less well than they have previously is that young potential riders are told that they cannot double up, and then, perhaps, decode not to ride for Plymouth. I think that Plymouth is the only team that does this...

Questions; Why cant Australia run their own leagues?.......They have a big enough country.......I know the most lightly reply will be- because of travel distance, in which case they could pick say an area around one part of Australia for riders to settle( riders come all the way to Britain )..... I wonder why?

Australia run during our winter and young Brits from over here are more than happy to go over there and race and ride in their national championships.

Australia run during our winter and young Brits from over here are more than happy to go over there and race and ride in their national championships.

As individuals... not taking team places...

And the Brits who ride in the event are taking the place of young Aussies... or are you telling me that the Aussies don't have enough riders to fill their lineups so throw Brits in instead?

Its exactly the same scenerio. I can guarantee you there were peed off young Aussies who didn't get into there own State titles last year whilst some touring Brits did (Josh Auty won the Queensland Championship)

Yet for the quality of competition it was good for the sport.

As for league racing in Australia, its been tried, tracks are just too spread out even when it is limited to a single State, there is no money in grass roots racing in Australia, organisers find it very difficult to break even.

Having said that there is a competetive New South Wales v Queensland Series, which this year has been run over weekends with meetings on consecutive nights to justify the travelling expense. There have been six so far with two this weekend.

I say let's be more relaxed about this. The relationship of Anzac riders to British Speedway has always bveen different to "foreign" riders. Moore, Briggs, Mauger, Airey - for example - representing GB in the WTC...

I can't see what kind of a major problem there is with one or sometimes two Aussies and/or Kiwis appearing for an NL club side.. Is this really holding back the development of British younsters..? Not at all IMHO... What holds back British Speedway is the crazy attitude of PL clubs in particular but also EL ones, in favouring any sort of foreign (often Polish...) riders over Brits...

I can't think that the appearance of very young Anzacs (and in the cases discussed, they are VERY young...) in the NL is in any way significant enough to warrant being a subject described as controversial...

May I ask a straightforward question, and I'd appreciate it if you answer the question without considering other side topics..

Do you want the Premier League to be:

a ) full of foreign riders over British riders, or

b ) would you prefer British riders to be given the chance?

Pick a or b, no 'but's please. ;)

b what i dont agree with is premier teams taking riders off natinal teams midd season.they must move up to progress.premire teams if they could use any national league rider for guest so they can still cary on riding for there national team also.then be singned full for the start of the next season or will the premire teams then do the usual and fill up with poles swedes danes ect leaving the young britts to go back to national league. :blink:

We are not asking for or expecting any sympathy. It's called the price of success :rolleyes: Anyhow dont worry about us we will be OK.

You and the club are doing a great job keep it up.To much win at all costs with others.

If these youngsters use their British heritage to ride in the NL then perhaps the BSPA should use it to insist that they ride for Britain and not the country where they were born... (just turning the arguement around...)

How many young riders would come over using their patriality to ride here if it was turned back on them and they had to ride as Brits if they got up to the required standard...

don't you think you would then argue these kids from overseas are now taking our team GB places.

Buxton are great, they give a kid a chance when they improve they let them go onto bigger things, then they get another one and give them a chance. If all National League teams worked like this the Premier league would be full of British riders.

At the speed Buxton moves riders on they're wouldn't be enough aussie riders to fill all the empty spots.

Kiwis we've only got 88 riders in the whole country, 8yrs old to 71, we can barely get a field of 16 good riders together, and yet you see us as a threat.