British Speedway Forum
ianmartin

Riders You Would Like To See Discussed

It does to me CHR. :t:

I remember Broadbanks well - a great British Rider. I wish we had a few like him now. :t:

Gone are the days one could reel off a host of names...all of them British and all of them quality.

Broadbank, Hunter, Wilson, Boocock etc. etc.

Gone are the days one could reel off a host of names...all of them British and all of them quality.

Broadbank, Hunter, Wilson, Boocock etc. etc.

Jessop, Collins, Simmons etc. etc.

Agreed.

Jessop, Collins, Simmons etc. etc.

Agreed.

I totally agree and we could both reel off a load more...including Jim Tebby!. :party:

I totally agree and we could both reel off a load more...including Jim Tebby!. :party:

Indeed Jim Tebby. A very distinctive Rider for Wimbledon if my memory serves me correctly. :t::approve: :approve:

Some greats from the 2nd tier of racing would do me, Arthur Price, Arthur Browning, Roger Mills, Lou Sansom, Taffy Owen, Tony Childs not forgetting the best for me John Jackson.

Some greats from the 2nd tier of racing would do me, Arthur Price, Arthur Browning, Roger Mills, Lou Sansom, Taffy Owen, Tony Childs not forgetting the best for me John Jackson.

What about Bruce Forrester and Dave Durham Whiteliner?

I would like to read about the jockey turned speedway rider Ralph Horne, Belle Vue, Coventry, Sheffield, Wigan and Belfast. Or/and Red Hamley, Bradford and Wombwell. Their era was the late 1940s.

EDIT: I have found this brief Link re Red Hamley - more information would be appreciated:

http://www.speedwayatoz.co.uk/redhamley.html

Indeed Jim Tebby. A very distinctive Rider for Wimbledon if my memory serves me correctly. :t::approve: :approve:

With a mention about Jim Tebby's rider-father and mechanic Stan Tebby, who rode both speedway and grass track in the late 1940s to the early 1970s. I think Stan's bike is a showpiece item at the London Motorcycle Museum?

In his time, Stan also acted as a spanner-man at various times for Ron How, Danny Dunton and Roy Bowers.

Edited by Guest

The Cream Bun Kid!

Top driver in the 1951-52 Winter Midget Car League; he drove for Coventry.

????? :unsure: :unsure: :blink:

Johnnie Reason was "The Cream Bun Kid" at Brandon

He formed a transport company whose vehicles are a very common sight these days on the roads of the UK

Edited by Midland Red
  • Like 1

Johnnie Reason was "The Cream Bun Kid" at Brandon

He formed a transport company whose vehicles are a very common sight these days on the roads of the UK

Thank you for that MR. :t::approve::) :)

Thank you for that MR. :t::approve::) :)

Besides his speedway exploits, John Reason was also a keen follower of Coventry City FC and was a director. In racing, he was also a leading midget car driver circa 1951 and 1952.