British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Sack The Statto At Sky Sports

And whilst we are at it, is Mark Webber, Keith Huwen's love child or something, how many times did he keep going on and on and on about him being there, and chartering a plane to support Jason zzzzzzzzzzzz

lol

Spose it's seen as summat special at SKY for an F1 driver to lower themselves to watch a simple speedway meeting .............. especially given he had to fly his own plane there! Now let's see if Jason gets a mention when he's seen in Mark's pit at one of the F1 races :) I bet Jason could make a better fist of Mark's job than vice versa, but look who earns most dosh ........... I know which sport I'd rather watch as a spectator though and fan of my local club :)

Whether you like it or not, a F1 driver spectating is a big deal at speedway, and it seems at MotoGP. Mark Webber has just been interviewed by the Beeb at Silverstone where they mentioned he'd been over to Poland the night before to support Crumpy.

F1 & MotoGP is where the money is, if speedway can get a plug out of either of them, great it's getting the speedway name out there into other more popular forms of motor sport. If it wasn't for Webber, Crump wouldn't have the mainstream Red Bull backing he has now, and also may not have recovered from his injuries sustained last season in time for this years GP.

When Sky pull the plug on Speedway what will you lot have to moan about then.

Well said hyderd. :)

How about giving us a fans zone option for an alternative?

That would be great but I could just imagine SCB or Silver Bee trying to get over the finer points of the rule book to some 6'5" Pole after Gollob has been excluded for bringing down Bomber !!! .....

It would have to be two people with good humour, polite speaking, not biased, respect the sport, acknowledge the qualities of ALL riders and from any country.

That rules out fans from Poole, Coventry, Swindon, Peterborough, Lakeside, Eastbourne, Ipswich and Belle Vue

..... Me and Stevebrum it is then !!!!

When Sky pull the plug on Speedway what will you lot have to moan about then.

I have always been one of the staunchest supporters of both Sky and the SGP.

Like many others i only came back to speedway after catching sight of it on Sky Sports. The production of the whole programme, save for the basic maths side, is superb.

As for the SGP well wow! 11 World Finals in a year and all the surrounding publicity that attracts for the sport in each of the markets. Certain newspaper sports editors must be seething at having to give up more than their one article a year in the old World Final days. Also, it evidently is a better and fairer system to decide the best rider in the world. With the old system a rider could dominate everyone all year long only for a single engine failure, missed start or fall gift the title to someone else.

Even on rare occasions when i do agree with a criticism of the commentators, i make clear that the job itself is not easy to do. As for the use of cliches being so critically targetted on here, well i suggest people record themselves and then play it back and see how often, in order to describe a race, you develop your own list of cliches.

I have always been one of the staunchest supporters of both Sky and the SGP.

Like many others i only came back to speedway after catching sight of it on Sky Sports. The production of the whole programme, save for the basic maths side, is superb.

As for the SGP well wow! 11 World Finals in a year and all the surrounding publicity that attracts for the sport in each of the markets. Certain newspaper sports editors must be seething at having to give up more than their one article a year in the old World Final days. Also, it evidently is a better and fairer system to decide the best rider in the world. With the old system a rider could dominate everyone all year long only for a single engine failure, missed start or fall gift the title to someone else.

Even on rare occasions when i do agree with a criticism of the commentators, i make clear that the job itself is not easy to do. As for the use of cliches being so critically targetted on here, well i suggest people record themselves and then play it back and see how often, in order to describe a race, you develop your own list of cliches.

And ????

Yes it's an irritation,but a very minor one.

After all don't most televised sports suffer similarly?

For example we have continually had commentators and pundits asserting that England are a world class football team with a realistic chance of winning the world cup :wink: :wink:

Well, before the England v Algeria match we had Adrian Chiles telling us that it was Slovenia.

After apologising for that, he went on to tell us that the Algerian goalie wasn't very good as he had let in a soft goal in the previous match...the only problem with that was that it was a different Algerian goalie!

Well, before the England v Algeria match we had Adrian Chiles telling us that it was Slovenia.

After apologising for that, he went on to tell us that the Algerian goalie wasn't very good as he had let in a soft goal in the previous match...the only problem with that was that it was a different Algerian goalie!

That settles it then, lets get rid of all commentators and watch our sport in silence, that way all the sky commentator knockers will sleep better. :D

I'm so glad i made my own spreadsheet for my computer that after each race instantly updates a meetings standings and in the case of the SGP the series standings.

It's nearly always a farce when it comes to them working out the impending semi-final qualifiers. They often get the permutatons so wrong. At least i'm safe in the knowledge of always being aware of what is at stake for each rider in the final round of races.

Tonight was just plain comical. Ad nauseum they repeatedly said Gollob and Hampel were level at the the top of the series standings.......Nooooo they weren't! Too be honest one didn't even need a spreadsheet to work out the points of the riders, they went through the workings and still got it wrong! Who on earth does their simple mathematical tasks? It is not rocket science.

At least Sam was able to put them right in the studio! :rolleyes:

Sky............Should have gone to KanDysoft! :D

ATB

Dave

And ????

?????

Yawnnnnnn! (and you know why)

I enjoyed every second of it. I was the one who ages ago started a thread predicting that this season's series would be one of best ever.

Same here. I've read this thread with amusement and think some fans need to lighten up and actually enjoy their sport instead of trying to micro-analyse and dissect every single aspect of every single comment that's made. It's supposed to be entertainment not torture. So what if there are a few inaccurate comments made, there are plenty in some of the documentaries I watch too - it happens, get over it, you either want to watch the content itself or you don't. So what if mention is made over Webbo's attendance - it's great that someone in the world of a major mainstream sport is watching and giving the sport some kudos, hell a shame more 'mere mortals' don't - the sport might not be in such a state over here. If you want intensity watch the news.

Edited by rabbit

I enjoyed every second of it. I was the one who ages ago started a thread predicting that this season's series would be one of best ever.

Same here. I've read this thread with amusement and think some fans need to lighten up and actually enjoy their sport instead of trying to micro-analyse and dissect every single aspect of every single comment that's made.

I should make clear that i wasn't suggesting their statto should be hung, drawn and quartered. It was just an observation and i was more chuckling away at the fact that they insistently kept saying that Gollob and Hampel were level, and i'm sure the majority of fans knew that was wrong.

Not for the first time this season after watching a GP (and domestic Sky matches) i went off out for a few hours on a high. Then had another few hours of entertaining sport watching the UFC (as in boxing is dead, long live the UFC).

As mentioned their coverage is superb, i was well entertained and happy, and although slightly annoying their clanger made me chuckle more than anything. The thread was meant in a lightish vein, i've not really been thrown into deep despair and anguish gnashing me teeth because i've had enough lol.

Whether you like it or not, a F1 driver spectating is a big deal at speedway, and it seems at MotoGP. Mark Webber has just been interviewed by the Beeb at Silverstone where they mentioned he'd been over to Poland the night before to support Crumpy.

F1 & MotoGP is where the money is, if speedway can get a plug out of either of them, great it's getting the speedway name out there into other more popular forms of motor sport. If it wasn't for Webber, Crump wouldn't have the mainstream Red Bull backing he has now, and also may not have recovered from his injuries sustained last season in time for this years GP.

Well said. Webber, at one of the post-race interviews after a podium finish, said it had been a good weekend for Australia after Crump had won a GP the previous evening. This is live on BBC 1; how much would that kind of advertising cost?

Hey! Sky.......totally free.......you can have my services for nothing, you sure need them. Last night's Cardiff Grand Prix was one of the worst examples so far of the clueless individual(s) that supply the commentary team with simple basic information regarding who qualifies for the semi-final.

Very surprisingly, even Sam and the studio team were guilty of a comical blunder surrounding the qualifiers. They were genuinely stunned and surprised to see Nicki Pedersen walk up to collect his starting grid placard. They had been prattling on for over five minutes or so totally ignorant of their mistake.

I'm no computer expert, but even i managed to cobble up an impressive spreadsheet for the SGP that updates everything after each race faultlessly. Enter the race result in and hey presto the scorecard gets filled in, another view has the scorecard with riders sorted in order of total points. The series table is instantly updated (another aspect they get wrong at times). Each race has running accumulative totals next to each rider for the night's meeting and series overall.

Got to say though, SKY, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for bringing us an otherwise superbly produced GP. Aside from the ever present wrong information that seems to accompany all Sky meetings at any level, the actual programme was fantastically run. My sincerest thanks to them and much appreciated.