British Speedway Forum
newportspeedwayhh

Newport Hornets ~ V ~ Plymouth Devils

HORNETS IN QUEST TO STAY ON TOP

National League table-toppers the Newport Hornets face the Plymouth Devils at Queensway Meadows this Sunday afternoon with tapes up at 2.30pm.

The Hornets went top of the table after the combination of an away win on the Isle of Wight followed by a home victory over the Mildenhall Fen Tigers last Sunday. However there is bags of experience in the visitors' line up and a tough tussle is anticipated.

Skipper of the Devils is former Cornish Moto-Cross Champion Seemond Stephens who has ridden the bulk of his career since 1997 with West Country clubs St. Austell, Exeter and Plymouth. He forms a strong spearhead with fellow Cornishman Mark Simmonds who spent 15 seasons with the Exeter Falcons and came out of retirement in 2008 to link up with the Devils. The third former Exeter Falcon in the side is Lee Smethills who has ridden for many other Premier League clubs since taking up the sport in 1998.

Experience is blended with youth in the second string department with youngsters Paul Starke and Matt Bates achieving high averages whilst there is a local flavour in the first reserve berth with Newportonian and former Newport Maverick David Gough in action. Plymouth are waiting on a fitness report for ex-Hornet Jaime Pickard in the second reserve berth so have left a blank at number seven.

Meanwhile the Hornets change their riding order with the fast-starting Tim Webster switching to number two to partner skipper Tony Atkin while Mark Jones moves to number four. Kyle Newman returns to the fold after his absence on Premier League duty with Birmingham last Sunday.

Commented team manager Kevin Brown: 'I am glad that we are full strength for Sunday's clash as Plymouth have riders with experience of riding the Newport track in season's past. Now that we have reached pole position in the league table we must keep working to maintain that.'

NEWPORT 'WESSEX BUS' HORNETS:

1. Tony Atkin ©

2. Tim Webster

3. Todd Kurtz

4. Mark Jones

5. Kyle Newman

6. Tom Young

7. James White-Williams

PLYMOUTH DEVILS:

1. Seemond Stephens ©

2. Matt Bates

3. Lee Smethills

4. Paul Starke

5. Mark Simmonds

6. David Gough

7. To be confirmed

For further club details log onto: www.newport-speedway.co.uk with further previews and scores on the club hotline: 09066 555 915(calls charged at 60p per minute)

Will give Weymouth a miss on Friday and head to Newport on Sunday to watch this one. Great to see Newport doing so well as a team and great to see ex Wildcats Kyle,Tim and JWW banging in the points. Does the South Wales Argus cover Newport? I have tried to find the press reports online for the away fixture to the Isle of Wight and the home win against Mildenhall but the last Hornets piece that is covered is against Bournemouth. Dont they cover all the Hornets fixtures? Does Newport have a press officer? With the team going so well I thought someone would be shouting about it!!

Will give Weymouth a miss on Friday and head to Newport on Sunday to watch this one. Great to see Newport doing so well as a team and great to see ex Wildcats Kyle,Tim and JWW banging in the points. Does the South Wales Argus cover Newport? I have tried to find the press reports online for the away fixture to the Isle of Wight and the home win against Mildenhall but the last Hornets piece that is covered is against Bournemouth. Dont they cover all the Hornets fixtures? Does Newport have a press officer? With the team going so well I thought someone would be shouting about it!!

It states in the last article in the South Wales Argus Newport Speedways Press Officer Is Gareth Rogers

NEWPORT 'WESSEX BUS' HORNETS:

1. Tony Atkin ©

2. Tim Webster

3. Todd Kurtz

4. Mark Jones

5. Kyle Newman

6. Tom Young

7. James White-Williams

Todd got a new average yesterday and should ride at number 1.

This now clashes with England's round of 16 knockout match against Germany/Ghana etc at 3.00pm and I'm sure that a lot of people would like to watch both, I certainly would.

I wonder if there is the possibility of the start time being moved (speedway of course :lol::lol:) so that this can happen?

Would that be good PR and show a bit of common sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Todd got a new average yesterday and should ride at number 1.

No stoaty. National League have different rules. Averages take effect from 1 July.

It states in the last article in the South Wales Argus Newport Speedways Press Officer Is Gareth Rogers

Well perhaps someone should ask him where the 2 match reports are then!

No stoaty. National League have different rules. Averages take effect from 1 July.

17.1.1.2 The rules for a Rider not completing the Teams qualification fixtures are:

A Rider who has an established CMA will wait until the next cut-off date (see SR 17.1.1.3),

although if no new CMA is achieved by the end of Season, then in the following Season the

previous Seasons established CMA will apply.

A Rider with an Assessed CMA will be issued with a CMA after completing 12 fixtures (6 in

the NL) that will be effective 7 days after that 12th fixture.

This now clashes with England's round of 16 knockout match against Germany/Ghana etc at 3.00pm and I'm sure that a lot of people would like to watch both, I certainly would.

I wonder if there is the possibility of the start time being moved (speedway of course :lol::lol:) so that this can happen?

Would that be good PR and show a bit of common sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Good PR or not, to change any race day details requires requesting permission from the relevant governing bodies, and I would imagine they will be as accomodating as FIFA would if they were asked to change their arrangements for us :o

You need to record that game with the ball and 40,000 referees lol

Well perhaps someone should ask him where the 2 match reports are then!

Match reports for meetings are usually supplied to the Argus by Terry Daly who is a freelance reporter.

Match reports for meetings are usually supplied to the Argus by Terry Daly who is a freelance reporter.

Oh! So Newport rely upon the hope that a freelance reporter will actually pass a match report to the paper. Good PR. Oh and by the way hes not!

Good PR or not, to change any race day details requires requesting permission from the relevant governing bodies, and I would imagine they will be as accomodating as FIFA would if they were asked to change their arrangements for us :o

Well then why not ask? It's not as if it would be a request to move it during a week day when most people (including riders) would be at work.......it's a flippin' Sunday and only a matter of a few hours.

After this evening's games it has worked out that it will be England v GERMANY on Sunday at 3.00pm. I imagine there will be a large number of people who will want to watch that and if they can't do both will give the Hornets a miss therefore losing Newport much needed revenue.

I'd like to watch both but if I can't I know that I won't miss the Germany match....shame. :angry:

Oh! So Newport rely upon the hope that a freelance reporter will actually pass a match report to the paper. Good PR. Oh and by the way hes not!

Unfortunately that is the way the paper does it I am afraid. Unless we can get them to change their system we are stuck with it --but we will try as we want as much press coverage as possible. There are lots of positive things happening and planned at Newport that we want the world to know about!!

There are lots of positive things happening and planned at Newport that we want the world to know about!!

Does that include the latest rumour about Floodlights?