British Speedway Forum
willp

Heathens Announce New Signing

DUDLEY Heathens have wasted no time in snapping up hot prospect Micky Dyer who will make his debut on Friday.

Dyer, 19, is from New South Wales and will replace James Sarjeant in the Heathens side for their trip to Weymouth - and he will make his home debut in the National League clash with King's Lynn at Wolverhampton next Tuesday, June 29.

Manager Will Pottinger watched Dyer take his first laps on a British track at Stoke on Monday when he joined the Heathens squad for a practice session arranged by former Cradley favourites Mark Robinson and Anthony Boyd - and he was suitably impressed.

Said Pottinger: "We have taken the opportunity to strengthen the team. Micky comes recommended from contacts in Australia and after seeing him practice for myself at Stoke on Monday, I'm sure we now have a team to push on and challenge for the play offs and silverware.

"I hope our great supporters will show their backing to Micky as he gets to grip with British Speedway with our matches at Weymouth on Friday and against King's Lynn at Monmore Green on Tuesday.

"Unfortunately including Micky comes at the expense of James Sarjeant which I must admit is far from ideal.

"Dropping a young British lad goes against the principles of the National League but until the system is changed this type of change is always a possibility.

"We still have talented British youngsters in our team including Richard Franklin, Ashley Morris and Tom Perry but we thank James for his efforts so far this season and we wish him all the best for the future.

"We have held open his place at the Golden Hammer next month and I'm sure the fans will give him a great reception."

Dyer joins Dudley on a six-point average which means Wolverhampton teenager Ashley Morris moves down to reserve to partner Tom Perry for the two vital meetings with Weymouth and King's Lynn.

The new riding order is as follows - 1. Lee Smart, 2. Michael Dyer, 3. Richard Franklin, 4. Jake Anderson, 5. Jon Armstrong, 6. Ashley Morris, 7. Tom Perry.

What system needs to be changed? You didn't have to drop a British rider as far as i'm aware? A shame for Sarjeant.

The National League is designed to prepare British riders for the Premier and this is what has happened here - it's got sarge ready and prepared for when his future PL ditches him for an Aussie.

Joking apart, didn't I read Dyer had been flown in by the Brummies? With the Heathens currently being the Wolves & Birmingham feeder club, this move under the league rules is no surprise. The NL standard continues to grow and I think the solution for British riders needs to be re-esttbalishing a 2nd half league like what we had back between 1986 and 1992. It gave good racing and added 6 heats giving you a two and half hour show versus a spread out 100 minutes. Reward the clubs who participate with an extra point for their big team for team building and you'll find its magically affordable!

Edited by SteveEvans

Sarjeant to Buxton? :unsure:

What an utter disgrace. I am fed up to the back teeth of Aussies in the National league. What is wrong with British Speedway? Dudley should hang their heads in shame. Sarjeant deserved some support and help. Not to be ditched. Malcolm Vasey forecast that the league would lose its way and this is a classic example of just how bad things have got.

The National League is designed to prepare British riders for the Premier and this is what has happened here - it's got sarge ready and prepared for when his future PL ditches him for an Aussie.

Joking apart, didn't I read Dyer had been flown in by the Brummies? With the Heathens currently being the Wolves & Birmingham feeder club, this move under the league rules is no surprise. The NL standard continues to grow and I think the solution for British riders needs to be re-esttbalishing a 2nd half league like what we had back between 1986 and 1992. It gave good racing and added 6 heats giving you a two and half hour show versus a spread out 100 minutes. Reward the clubs who participate with an extra point for their big team for team building and you'll find its magically affordable!

Birmingham looking at aussies....what have thought that ha ha.

What an utter disgrace. I am fed up to the back teeth of Aussies in the National league. What is wrong with British Speedway? Dudley should hang their heads in shame. Sarjeant deserved some support and help. Not to be ditched. Malcolm Vasey forecast that the league would lose its way and this is a classic example of just how bad things have got.

Couldn't agree with you more Lucas, this is a National Development league not an International League.

DUDLEY Heathens have wasted no time in snapping up hot prospect Micky Dyer .............

........"Unfortunately including Micky comes at the expense of James Sarjeant which I must admit is far from ideal.

"Dropping a young British lad goes against the principles of the National League but until the system is changed this type of change is always a possibility.

I don't care how it's dressed up, it's ditching a young British rider and replacing him with a rider who is unlikely to ever pledge his allegiance to British speedway. Darned right it's a possibility - it's just been proved only too well by the Heathens.

Not impressed one tiny bit. :mad::mad:

What utter nonsense.

How can teams possibly be penalised for not running a Second Half League side in another competition? The cost is almost too much for riders nowadays never mind where Clubs are meant to get money from. Are you suggesting that the Clubs pay for this? And the benefits will be for non-Brits who take the places in the NL.

We just need to limit those who will not ultimately ride for GB in the National League and , of course, reduce the points limit. And at the same time enforce the use of British riders in the PL by capping the number of foreigners many of whom are at best mediocre.

Malcolm Vasey

Im gutted for young Sarj who is a great kid who just hasnt had any luck this year, but i think the people having a go at the heathens management need to be realistic, they have fans and those fans want success. If the rules didnt allow aussies to race in this league then we would all be on a level playing field but thats not the case, we went to buxton and lost mainly because they had 2 young aussie kids banging the points in, we went to newport and got tonked - how many aussies in the newport team?. im afraid as the saying goes if you cant beat them then join them !

Im not saying the rules are right or wrong and thats not a debate i want to get into :o , and i feel desperatley sorry for young Sarj and really hope he gets fixed up soon but i think any criticism aimed at the heathens management is also out of order, they are just doing what they feel is best for the club and working within the rules that are set.

We just need to limit those who will not ultimately ride for GB in the National League and , of course, reduce the points limit. And at the same time enforce the use of British riders in the PL by capping the number of foreigners many of whom are at best mediocre.

Malcolm Vasey

Most of me is yet again angry :angry: with the attitude of many teams in the NL ... and the BSPA who will not learn until there are no exceptionally talentes young British riders coming through. Brits need to be exceptionally talented, non-Brits just need to show a bit of promise and the EL, PL - and now the NL :rolleyes: - will give them a place.

A little bit of me (sorry :oops: ) wants to say 'I told you so' to this youngster who left Scunthorpe - if he had stayed there I don't think that he would now be waiting for his third team in a season and a half of riding...

Im gutted for young Sarj who is a great kid who just hasnt had any luck this year, but i think the people having a go at the heathens management need to be realistic, they have fans and those fans want success. If the rules didnt allow aussies to race in this league then we would all be on a level playing field but thats not the case, we went to buxton and lost mainly because they had 2 young aussie kids banging the points in, we went to newport and got tonked - how many aussies in the newport team?. im afraid as the saying goes if you cant beat them then join them !

Im not saying the rules are right or wrong and thats not a debate i want to get into :o , and i feel desperatley sorry for young Sarj and really hope he gets fixed up soon but i think any criticism aimed at the heathens management is also out of order, they are just doing what they feel is best for the club and working within the rules that are set.

You are of course quite right, but it's just the weasel words that are used that are so annoying. Plus of course the

'rule(s)' in the first place; but I guess that I'm now in danger of becoming a 'stuck record' :neutral:

I'm angry .....so angry my love affair with speedway is waning.....Why not fill the bl***y leagues with Aussies, then perhaps most promoters will be happy. Why should we british fans pay for Aussies to fullfil their ambitions at the expense of our kids. I couldn't agree more Lucas, its an absolute disgrace. At least Sweden, Denmark Poland etc have leagues where our lads can get fixed up with team places.( their not allowed in the N/L ) Australia should do likewise and it wouldn't be so one sided.....mad!

...I guess that I'm now in danger of becoming a 'stuck record' :neutral:

Join the club - you'll probably get shouted down, the same as I do... but sadly one of these days - in the not to distant future - we will be proved right when there is no-one of a high enough standard to ride for Team GB...

we should learn that this is now australian speedway just based in britain as a british NL rider trying tor Pl i have no chance as im ENGLISH, although to be fair promotors make it so attractive for foreigners with vans , bikes, and places to stay if a british rider wants to sign for any club and doesnt have a bike or van then its tuff but if a non brit does they just pop down to joe hughes and get all kitted up maybe speedway needs an enoch powell character in charge???

if a foreigner signs for a pl team and doesnt win any races for a season they will use them the following year but a brit has a few matches to prove hiself then they get the boot.

Edited by bhr