British Speedway Forum
willp

Heathens Announce New Signing

No doubt about it, British speedway is slowly slipping off the map, now we even have British riders being dropped in favour of Aussies in the National League, however Micky Dyer sounds more like a rejected Eastenders character imo... :blink:

What a load of crap!, another young British rider makes way for an unknown Aussie. Lets hope James gets fixed up with another club very soon. And trying to blame the rules for sacking James, really?, Dudley have made a huge mistake in my books.

Great news for Michael, a young lad from Orange, NSW, who's already shown in this year's NSW v QLD Series that he's a force to be reckoned with. I for one hope he kicks on from here; he's joined a great club with a proud tradition. Its a pity that some on here have already chosen to slag him off purely because of his Nationality, but that seems to be par for the course for the BSF.

I understand he's a Birmingham asset; he should feel right at home.

Great news for Michael, a young lad from Orange, NSW, who's already shown in this year's NSW v QLD Series that he's a force to be reckoned with. I for one hope he kicks on from here; he's joined a great club with a proud tradition. Its a pity that some on here have already chosen to slag him off purely because of his Nationality, but that seems to be par for the course for the BSF.

I think it more to the fact that a young brit has lost his position at a club, to a rider who is virtually unknown over here. I do hope Micky the best, but it was highly unfair that James got sacked at Dudley, when he has so much potential at a young age. Lets just hope this hasn't knocked his confidence and can end on a high note.

Good Luck to Michael Dyer at Dudley, his trip to the UK was funded by the Brummies and I think hes an asset too.

Really do feel for James and I hope he gets fixed up with a club soon.

I think it more to the fact that a young brit has lost his position at a club, to a rider who is virtually unknown over here. I do hope Micky the best, but it was highly unfair that James got sacked at Dudley, when he has so much potential at a young age. Lets just hope this hasn't knocked his confidence and can end on a high note.

Fair Call, Junior. One door opens, another one closes. The usual mid-season merry-go-round should ensure that James gets picked up if he's good enough.

Just cheeses me off that we get the usual "Aussies get all the help" postings from people with chips on their shoulders rather than in their butties; especially when folks should be aware of all the sacrifices that have been made by young Aussies and their families to have a go at their chosen sport. Let's not forget we've already seen a few young Colonials sacked by their clubs this year for not living up to pre-conceived expectations of their being the next Darcy Ward - it works both ways.

Fair Call, Junior. One door opens, another one closes. The usual mid-season merry-go-round should ensure that James gets picked up if he's good enough.

Just cheeses me off that we get the usual "Aussies get all the help" postings from people with chips on their shoulders rather than in their butties; especially when folks should be aware of all the sacrifices that have been made by young Aussies and their families to have a go at their chosen sport. Let's not forget we've already seen a few young Colonials sacked by their clubs this year for not living up to pre-conceived expectations of their being the next Darcy Ward - it works both ways.

Junior is completely right. It is the principle of dropping a young british rider. Australia are clearly on a roll with a very good model to produce riders. However the National League should be solely for the development of british riders. You also need to keep to the facts. There are Australians in National League teams provided with bikes, vans and accomodation etc as compared to British riders in the same clubs with nothing. Fair? I dont think so irespective of the sacrifice.

Dave I think the bit about sacrafices and family is unfair. ALL riders and families make massive sacrafices to try and further there kids careers what ever country they come from. What is unfair that it seems to be that its not a level playing field in regards to the help that is given out. Really hope James gets a place soon as he is a great lad and has lots of potential.

Junior is completely right. It is the principle of dropping a young british rider. Australia are clearly on a roll with a very good model to produce riders. However the National League should be solely for the development of british riders. You also need to keep to the facts. There are Australians in National League teams provided with bikes, vans and accomodation etc as compared to British riders in the same clubs with nothing. Fair? I dont think so irespective of the sacrifice.

There are also Aussie riders doing it on a shoestring, Lucas, surviving on hand-outs from relloes, proceeds from chook raffles or family savings in case you weren't aware. I don't know where this chip on your shoulder comes from but I think you should direct your rage against the Powers-that-be over there rather than railing against people purely on the basis of their nationality, or maybe doing something about it yourself. Obviously some clubs see the value of taking on unknown Aussies and helping them out; don't forget there have also been a fair few young Aussie and Kiwi kids who haven't made the grade over there and been unceremoniously dumped.

There is no magical "Production Line" over here; its a very ad-hoc process based on individual desire and effort. How many tracks over there have junior tracks in the centre green?

I agree with you Garry hoping that young James gets a go somewhere: I've heard good reports about him and his desire to succeed; if he's good enough he'll get a slot and the process he'll have been through will make him a better person.

Dave not read one post that has a go at the lad and as for what they sacrifice well it s the same for us only difference is I have to work as well as look after my lad I can t take 6 weeks off fly half way round the world and spend 7 nights a week at speedway also and I have seen this first hand that at some tracks they don t have second half or practise after meetings but seems they change that rule for aussies and behind close door practise I know of 2 who were at cov most thursday day riding but the academy boys never get asked all we want is same rules. I was at stoke for said practise and yes the lad looked good and seems a nice lad, but this league should be for brits hope you find a place soon sarg

Completely agree with you Lucas....... As I see it Austalia use Britain ( at 500cc level ) as a route for turning their youngsters into Champs at the expence of our youngsters in the N/L.......this isn't an even playing field.......We need this league for our own youngsters........Australia - "we want champs too! but at the rate you are sending youngsters over its not going to happen".

I dream the impossible dream...

That the National League will become a league for Brits only - no patriality... and that the PL and EL have to have a minimum number of British riders in their teams.

It will never happen whilst promoters have the mentality that any rider that is not a Brit Must be better than a British rider... and I rejoice every time a non-Brit is found lacking. The problem is that another non-Brit is then brought in to replace them. Perhaps replacements, especially at NL level, should be Brits only.

I dream the impossible dream...

all you have to do is look at your newport squad dave look at the likes of the english lads in the national league look at what there driving there own vehichels using there own workshops and the aussies have 2010 vw transporters u say they make sacrifices but it wasnt as if someone held a gun to there head and made them come over like anything else in life if you cant afford it you dont do it! Also fans moan we have no british kids coming through yet love foreigners to come over and use britain as a payed practice in my opinion if they want to race over here in nl they should pick a passport aussie or english

all you have to do is look at your newport squad dave look at the likes of the english lads in the national league look at what there driving there own vehichels using there own workshops and the aussies have 2010 vw transporters u say they make sacrifices but it wasnt as if someone held a gun to there head and made them come over like anything else in life if you cant afford it you dont do it! Also fans moan we have no british kids coming through yet love foreigners to come over and use britain as a payed practice in my opinion if they want to race over here in nl they should pick a passport aussie or english

I'm afraid I can't tell from Google Earth what type of vans they drive, BHR, but I do know that the majority of Mighty HORNETS supporters are very happy with Todd and Mark in the team, and very happy with the performance of the team as a whole, no matter what Nationality they are.

To my knowledge the National League took over from the amateur Conference League as a third-tier professional league where clubs could own their own assets, be they British or whatever, to prevent the previous situation where PL teams could poach NL-developed riders with impunity.

In my view its sad that some on here would like to see it as purely a Nationality-based set-up; it stifles competition which is the only way that riders can improve; alas the blinkered ones can't or won't see that. Steve Evans' proposal for more local-rider based second-half events should be followed up, rather than crawling into a hole, wrapping oneself in the Union Jack and railing against Foreigners in general and Aussies in particular.

I think the national league should limit the number of foreign riders in the national league, but the number in isn't massive tbh, only about seven, so there are still plenty of Brits around in that league. Yes there are far too many young Aussies coming over here, but what do you expect promoters to do when they see the likes of Ward,Sedgmen and Skidmore come over here and make a huge impact, every team is looking for the next Ward, who'll come on a 5 point average and end on a 10.

Fact is the Aussies have got their tactics spot on, some of the youngsters get equipment from the likes of Crump and Andersen, should we be moaning about this?, no, we should figure out a way to do this for our own young riders, because it has clearly worked and we can't really blame the Aussies for doing this, it's using it to their own advantage and is clearly working. But we also shouldn't be under the impression that all these riders come on top notch machinery, the likes of Branford have come here with basically nothing at all, and has shown great potential in the national league.

However, the solution is very simple, we should do as the Poles do by having each Premier league number 7 a young British rider. This will give the young a chance to experience the premier league and have a proper chance to develop their skills as a rider in that league. In my opinion that's the only way possible that we could build up the skills of the young Brits, who haven't particularly had the chance to show their true potential in the Premier league