British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fozzie4388

Weymouth Vs Scunthorpe

Press Release Taken from the Scunthorpe Speedway website

Ritchie leads Saints on South Coast adventure

The Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints development side continue their South Coast adventure tonight when they take on the Weymouth Wildcats in the National League three days after going down 56-36 to the Isle of Wight Islanders. Five of the side have taken the opportunity for a short break between the two meetings and will hopefully return to action refreshed and revitalised. The Saints, who come up against two Scunthorpe assets in Byron Bekker and Luke Chessell, will see the return of Benji Compton to their ranks, after an infected wound prevented him from travelling to the Isle of Wight, whilst Newport’s Mark Jones will continue to wear the number one race jacket as cover for Mark ‘Buzz’ Burrows.

Compton’s return will see 18-year old Ritchie Worrall (pictured) drop to number eight but the twin brother of fellow Saints rider Steve will continue to be captain. Team Manager Stuart Parnaby explained the unusual choice of leader “We were doing the track walk on Tuesday and I said to the lads that we needed a captain for the night with Adam Wrathall being out injured. Ritchie had been entertaining everyone as we walked round and everyone looked at him. It was his league debut but he has just the right personality for the job and was great in the pits. He had three races on Tuesday and, just like his brother, he’s a pretty decent gater. It’s all good experience for him and he’s been coming on leaps and bounds over the last few weeks. He led a race for half a lap and picked up a couple of points when riders fell but it won’t be long at all before he is beating opponents fair and square”.

After tonight’s meeting the Saints take on the Rye House Cobras in the second part of a double-header meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Sunday (5pm start). The meeting follows a Premier League meeting between the same two clubs.

The full line-ups for tonight’s meeting are expected to be (English unless stated):

Weymouth Wildcats – 1. Byron Bekker (South Africa), 2. Rider Replacement for Terry Day, 3.Tom Brown (Wales), 4. Gary Cottham, 5. James Cockle, 6. Richard Andrews, 7. Luke Chessell, 8. Luke Wiltshire

Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Scorpions – 1. Mark Jones (Australia), 2. Rider replacement for Adam Wrathall, 3. Scott Richardson, 4. Gary Irving, 5. Benji Compton, 6. Steve Worrall, 7. Ashley Birks, 8. Ritchie Worrall

Is this the first time a Number 8 has skippered a side ?

Also, having seen Steve and Ritchie side by side in a photo in this week's Speedway Star I wonder if Stuart Parnaby would ever contemplate a "switcheroo" if the opportunity presented itself ! (Only joking Stuart ;) !).

Is there anyone going who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Is there anyone going who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

Can you let me know if you get any reply please :)

A win at last!!!

Scott Richardson was outstanding as were Byron Bekker and James Cockle. Overall though it did seem that both teams were doing their best to throw away a win with a number of falls, efs, incidents when in scoring positions.

Special compliments to Gary Irving for a splendid lay down on bend 3 and then the presence of mind to attend to the fallen rider immediately.

One criticism though. I have never and will never understand why we get situations where both teams use rider replacement. Here we had both number 2s out, both teams had their number 8s present but we still had to suffer two lots of r/r. Unfortunately it reduced what was an OK but not great meeting to a drawn out, stop/start event that did its best to lose the interests of the customers.

Still - WE WON A LEAGUE MATCH!!!!!