British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
davidba

Number Of Speedway Tracks In The World!

Being lucky enough to go to quite a few meetings abroad the last couple of years i was wondering last night just how many active tracks there are in the world at present?

So with Speedway Star world preview issue at hand i went through listing the tracks which had at least 1 meeting listed for 2010.

They dont list Aussie,Kiwi tracks, so help on those would be appreciated.

I included one offs for GP's and have included Northside,Iwade and Lydd in the Uk.

I'm sure there are others i've missed,or some of these that have since closed, but the figures are:

UK=32(28 league+Cardiff,Lydd,Iwade+Northside)

Poland=22=24 league teams minus Miskolc+Daugvapils-Are there any one off tracks, cant see any listed?

Sweden=20-9 elite tracks plus Gothenberg,Mariestad,karlstad,Stockholm,Nykoping,Avesta,Malmo,Eskilstuna,Linkoping,Huddinge,Nassjo.

Germany=21-Landshut,Olching,Wolfslake,Brokstedt,Pfaffenhofen,Herxheim,Diedenbergen,Straslund,Gustrow,Teterow,Norden,Ludwigslust,Meissen,Neustadt Donau,Abensberg,Morrwinklesdamm,Haunstetten.Pocking,Berghaupten,Nordhastedt,Dohren

Denmark=14-Copenhagen,Holsted,Holstebro,Glumso,Slangerup,Fjelsted,Esbjerg,Vojens,Grindsted,Brovst,Outrup,Vejilby,Skaerbaek,Vissenbjerg

USA=14-Batavia,Action park,Marion County,Canton,Wauseon,Costa Mesa,Industry,San Bernardino,Victorville,Perris Raceway,Ridgecrest,Auburn,Vallejo,Osweg(I'm sure i got some of these mixed up?)

Czech=10-Prague,Mseno,Slany,Plzen,Pardubice,Divisov,Liberec,Brzeolupy,Svitavy,Chabarovice

Norway=7-Oslo,Drammen,Elgane,Riska,Kristiansand,Mjoesa,Kongsberg

Italy=6-Lonigo,Teranzano,Serego,Verona,Cialtroni,Giavera Del Montello

Finland=6-Lahti,Seinajoki,Pori,Kauhajoki,Kuusankoski,Forssa

Russia=5-Balakovo,Vladivostok,Togliatti,Salavat,Oktyabrsky

Argentina=8-Bahia Blanca,Daireaux,Carhue,Bolivar,Colonia Baron,Pique,Cordoba,Carlos Caseras

Austria=3,Natschbach,Mureck,St Johann

Croatia/Slovenia=4-Gorican,Ljubijana,Krsko,Lendava

Ukraine=3-Lviv,Rivne,Chervonograd

Hungary=2-Miskolc,Gyula

Holland=3-Lelystad,Veenord,Blijham

France=2-lamothe,Macon

Canada=2-Paris,Welland

And 1 each from:Romanis-Braila,Belguim-Heusden Zolder,Slovakia-Zarnovica,Latvia-Daugvapils,Bulgaria-Targovrubbishe,South africa-Walkerville=6

So without the Aussie/NZ tracks i make that a cool 190!!

Please add/amend etc so that we can get to a proper figure for how many tracks there are in the world at present that are in use.

Amended now with your info,not added Debrecen or Wittstock as some doubt over those

Edited by davidba

Sweden=20-9 elite tracks plus Gothenberg,Mariestad,karlstad,Stockholm,Nykoping,Avesta,Malmo,Eskilstuna,Linkoping,Huddinge,Nassjo.

Looks correct, if you use the 1 meeting per year factor.

Örebro and Lindesberg don't hold a meeting this year, but hold more of a "practise track" status. Don't know how active they are at the moment.

Bollnäs and Östersund are known as ice racing tracks, but speedway is also allowed at these tracks, at least for practise. Not sure about the activity in either Bollnäs and/or Östersund.

Järfälla is a stand-alone 80cc track that holds four 80cc meetings this year, among them the Swedish Youth Pairs Championship.

for germany add Pocking, nordhasted, Wittstock

argentina add Pigue, Cordoba, Carlos Caseras

Hungary add Debrecen

Austria take out Wiener Neustadt...

I thought Debrecen had closed?If your correct we have added 6 so now have 186 current tracks, so i need the Australisian tracks from someone and hopefully we can break the 200 barrier!!

for germany add Pocking, nordhasted, Wittstock

Is Wittstock still running? Not sure on that and the spelling of Nordhastedt plus Pfaffenhofen needs adjusting.Plus i can't see Berghaupten or Dohren mentioned

You can add Blijham to Holland, and Chabarovice to the Czech Republic. I rode in meetings on both tracks this year.

according to Vicars website speedwayresults.com

tracks in use in 2009 and 2010

Australia 19

Austria 3

Belgium 1

Bulgaria 1

Canada 2

Croatia 2

Czech Republic 11

Denmark 14

Finland 8

France 2

Germany 23

Great Britain 29

Hungary 3

Italy 5

Latvia 1

Netherlands 5

New Zealand 9

Norway 7

Poland 22

Romania 2

Russia 9

Slovakia 1

Slovenia 3

South Africa 2

Sweden 22

Ukraine 5

United States 15

Total 226

Ok i've edited with your info,up to 188 tracks now,but haven't included Debrecen or Wittstock as there's some doubt over if they are still running at all.I know that what counts as an active track will be hard to pinpoint but it's good to get an idea of how many there are worldwide.

Still waiting on someone with the info on Australia/NZ to add to the list i only know a few of the obvious Aussie tracks.

Keep 'em coming!

according to Vicars website speedwayresults.com

tracks in use in 2009 and 2010

Australia 19

Austria 3

Belgium 1

Bulgaria 1

Canada 2

Croatia 2

Czech Republic 11

Denmark 14

Finland 8

France 2

Germany 23

Great Britain 29

Hungary 3

Italy 5

Latvia 1

Netherlands 5

New Zealand 9

Norway 7

Poland 22

Romania 2

Russia 9

Slovakia 1

Slovenia 3

South Africa 2

Sweden 22

Ukraine 5

United States 15

Total 226

Should have known Vicar would have added them up too,is there no end to the lads talents!!Would have saved me lots of time if i'd seen that feature before,duh!

Anyway i think things have altered a bit from 2009 figures,sadly quite a few tracks have dissapeared from the 2010 listings.

II wonder how these figures compare to 10 years ago,how many tracks have opened and closed in your area in the last decade?there's been a decent amount of new tracks in the UK(Redcar,Plymouth,Scunthorpe,Birmingham etc) but we've sadly lost Wimbledon,Reading,Oxford,Hull etc.

220 odd tracks currently running eh,thats gonna take some time to get around to!!

With leicester,Sittingbourne Central,Bristol on the horizon hopefully in the UK,are there any new tracks rumoured to be opening anywhere else in the world,or are there only further closures ahead?

220 odd tracks currently running eh,thats gonna take some time to get around to!!

With leicester,Sittingbourne Central,Bristol on the horizon hopefully in the UK,are there any new tracks rumoured to be opening anywhere else in the world,or are there only further closures ahead?

Depends on what you are counting as an active track,but i think Leipzig still runs a motorsports open day which includes speedway .Generally though tracks are disappearing faster than they open here i think.When i first came over Neuenknick was pretty active with about 4 meetings per season.Now they are lucky to run 1.Wittstock opens and closes and Biesenthal was tried out and run into environmental problems.Olching and Pocking also have problems that threaten to close them.Parchim also has a speedway track in the centre of the Longtrack,but that has only hosted one or two meetings over the past years.The new track this year is in Cloppenburg.They are opening a 260m track in an industrial estate.Not too sure though if they are planning on having this as a permanent track or if this is a one off

Also thought there were a few tracks in Poland that host a meeting or regular training

Edited by iris123

i think Jämtarna in Östersund are planning to have some "beginners" and practice session during the summer since

Svemo gave them a "practice track" status.

Also David you could (sson) add Visby since they still use the old track or practice i think?.

They have also been granted a permission by the city environmental office

for their new track so they have taken a huge step forward to the building of their new track.

The track in Veddesta/Järfälla , mentioned by Anders, is used by Gamarna (Västra MK)

link to aerial photo (eniro maps)

link to satellite image (google maps)

Edited by Ghostwalker

Being lucky enough to go to quite a few meetings abroad the last couple of years i was wondering last night just how many active tracks there are in the world at present?

Oh dear, what will the divine Ms. B. think if you - as I fear you appear to be planning - embark on visiting ALL of these tracks!!! :shock:

My plans to blag a trip to Austria are going well, BTW...: the problem is that the only active tracks there are bloody miles from Innsbruck..!! :cry:

And wot about Japan..? Are there not any tracks there anymore..?! :unsure: With you being a soon-to-be big reality TV star in the Land of the Rising Sun, you might even be able to attend there as a guest of honour!!! :wink: