British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Top 20 Best Of British

Hang on Tony. what have you got against the Welsh...!? :blink::P

Hmm, come to think of it as I know you know Bryn well, I've just answered my own question!!! :D

No offence intended to our Welsh friends (Bryn included). It's just that i couldn't think of anyone from Wales who would be in contention for a place on this list. Now Freddie Williams is a different story...

Tony, I think the lack of reaction is maybe down to the fact that John Berry's selection was an uncontroversial one.

Not quite sure how he managed to get Gordon Kennett as low as 13th though, he achieved more in the 1970s than the four riders above him (McMillan, Morton, and the Boococks), all of whom peaked outside the 1970s. I can't recall any of those riders finishing second in a World Final, as Gordon did in 1978.

All the best

Rob

JB and I cross swords on this issue from time to time. He is a firm believer that a rider's worth should be judged on his overall contribution and service to his club(s) and not just performances in World Championship events (quite reasonably, he points out that some individuals would put bikes aside specifically for the big individual meetings, sometimes at the expense of their club efforts).

He would probably argue that Gordon Kennett's brilliant showing at Wembley in '78 was really a one-off for him at that level, whereas the Booeys and Jimmy Mac were stalwart servants to their respective clubs while also still doing good things for their country and in World Championship events.

Edited by tmc

JB and I cross swords on this issue from time to time. He is a firm believer that a rider's worth should be judged on his overall contribution and service to his club(s) and not just performances in World Championship events (quite reasonably, he points out that some individuals would put bikes aside specifically for the big individual meetings, sometimes at the expense of their club efforts).

He would probably argue that Gordon Kennett's brilliant showing at Wembley in '78 was really a one-off for him at that level, whereas the Booeys and Jimmy Mac were stalwart servants to their respective clubs while also still doing good things for their country and in World Championship events.

But Gordon Kennett was the highest scorer in the 1977 British League, scoring 466 from 36 matches for White City. He was an ever-present, and led the Rebels to the league title.

And Kennett was a stalwart to his team, but it just happened his team moved from Oxford to White City to Eastbourne.

13th is too low. He should be in the top ten - JB got that one wrong. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

But Gordon Kennett was the highest scorer in the 1977 British League, scoring 466 from 36 matches for White City. He was an ever-present, and led the Rebels to the league title.

And Kennett was a stalwart to his team, but it just happened his team moved from Oxford to White City to Eastbourne.

All the best

Rob

JB has mentioned a couple of times that the 1977 White City team benefited from a close relationship with the Weslake organisation, which gave them a bit of an advantage over the rest. Maybe that's why he didn't give GK the credit you feel he deserves?

All the best

Rob

Absolutely. I went to all the early White City home matches in '76 and many over '77 and '78 too and I can't recall there ever being a more dominant rider at a top division track than Gordon Kennett... :approve:

He also remember came second in the Grand Prix in 1976 to Peter Collins. The GP being a series with Rounds held on all BL tracks and then a final at White City..

Kennett also won the World Pairs twice - it's simply not on to judge his second place in the 1978 individual WF as some kind of one off... :neutral:

Deffo top ten... Close to my top five..!!

Absolutely. I went to all the early White City home matches in '76 and many over '77 and '78 too and I can't recall there ever being a more dominant rider at a top division track than Gordon Kennett... :approve:

He also remember came second in the Grand Prix in 1976 to Peter Collins. The GP being a series with Rounds held on all BL tracks and then a final at White City..

Kennett also won the World Pairs twice - it's simply not on to judge his second place in the 1978 individual WF as some kind of one off... :neutral:

Deffo top ten... Close to my top five..!!

Parsloes, I filled in my first-ever programme during an Inter-League 4TT round at Oxford in 1980. I think it's the day I become a real fan of the Oxford Cheetahs - until then, it was somewhere my dad took me several times during the season. By the end of that season, I was a speedway maniac, something that hasn't been cured some 30 years later. :lol:

The dominant rider on show that day as Mr. Gordon Kennett. Six rides, six wins (including two in the second half). I remember him pulling a huge wheelie as he won his final race. As a National League club, we didn't get to see wheelies, since it wasn't in fashion for the lower league riders to pull them. Most of the NL riders still had bikes stuck together by gaffer tape. :shock:

I also remember a much larger crowd that usual than the NL meetings. Gordon Kennett, previously of the Oxford Rebels, was a big drawcard and he didn't disappoint.

It's the second meeting I distinctly remember. The first was the Pip Lamb Benefit Meeting at the end of 1979, which was the first time I saw Bruce Penhall, a rider who became a hero to the young Lucifer Sam. :approve:

However, I do have a keen interest in Speedway during the 1970s, for a long-time my collection of speedway books was mainly books on the 70s (in the 1980s, the number of speedway books dried up for a while), so the old Peter Oakes Speedway Yearbooks were picked up and read from cover-to-cover. It's why I feel qualified to comment on speedway in the 1970s in the same way I wouldn't on previous eras.

All the best

Rob

I am posting on this site after many years away from the sport and perhaps not a clear memory (Injury) fancied a go though. Noted the comments on Gordon Kennett my brother an Oxford Rebels fan always talked up this very fine rider.I actually wondered how Simmons and Kennett did so well in the pairs as seemed similar and tended to ride same lines until seeing Simmons at Wimbledon with Kai Neimi pairing and often Simmons went wider of the 2. Anyway back to the matter in hand and very pleased to see Martin Ashby in the lists as such a wonderful Guest for Wimbledon after Tommy Janssons death.

What I do recall though as a Wimbledon fan was Gordon Kennett ( Never falls-Brothers quote) guested for Wimbledon away at Swindon first 2 rides fell same spot.

Also what a difficult job as part of me wanted to exclude Michael Lee

1, Peter Collins

2, Michael Lee

3. Malcolm Simmons

4. Dave Jessup

5.John Louis

6. Martin Ashby

7.Terry Betts

8. Doug Wyer

9.Gordon Kennett

10.Jim McMillan

11. George Hunter

12. Ray Wilson

13. Bob Kilby

14. Chris Morton

15. Bobby Beaton

16. Dave Morton

17. Alan Wilkinson

18. Barry Thomas

19. Bert Harkins

20. John Davis

Edited by DaveG

I am posting on this site after many years away from the sport and perhaps not a clear memory (Injury) fancied a go though. Noted the comments on Gordon Kennett my brother an Oxford Rebels fan always talked up this very fine rider.I actually wondered how Simmons and Kennett did so well in the pairs as seemed similar and tended to ride same lines until seeing Simmons at Wimbledon with Kai Neimi pairing and often Simmons went wider of the 2. Anyway back to the matter in hand and very pleased to see Martin Ashby in the lists as such a wonderful Guest for Wimbledon after Tommy Janssons death.

What I do recall though as a Wimbledon fan was Gordon Kennett ( Never falls-Brothers quote) guested for Wimbledon away at Swindon first 2 rides fell same spot.

Also what a difficult job as part of me wanted to exclude Michael Lee

1, Peter Collins

2, Michael Lee

3. Malcolm Simmons

4. Dave Jessup

5.John Louis

6. Martin Ashby

7.Terry Betts

8. Doug Wyer

9.Gordon Kennett

10.Jim McMillan

11. George Hunter

12. Reg Wilson

13. Bob Kilby

14. Chris Morton

15. Bobby Beaton

16. Dave Morton

17. Alan Wilkinson

18. Barry Thomas

19. Bert Harkins

20. John Davis

No Ray Wilson why?

If that is the only observation I am delighted 30 year old damaged memory then I am pleased no programmes to hand and not going to use internet did he ride for Leicester or Birmingham . Also had to fit some Scots in and a few team men such as Barry Thomas.

Might have confused the Wilsons as well guess Ray was better then Reg

Ray dark haired? If so substitute him in and we lose Reg.