British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
MK Knights

Can The Mk Knights Ride Again

A group of speedway enthusiasts in Milton Keynes are looking into the viability of resurectting the MK Knights, the speeedway team who used to ride in the city, We aim to start of with a public meeting to gauge the interest, but has anyone ever done this before with little or no capital and frankly where would we start. We believe there is still a viable track option at the greyhound stadium but this has not been confirmed. Any current or ex speedway promotor rider or fan who might be able to advise on our course of action would of course be very welcome to get in touch. So far we have 266 members but obvioously need much more, a business plan of action and dare I say some capital investment along with some blood sweat and tears and hard graft. I think if any city can do this it would be Milton Keynes given the speed at which it is growing and the energy shown to all outdoor sports. Please if anyone can help leave a post and I'll get in touch.

I cant offer any help, but I do wish you

the very best of luck in your quest.

Maybe worth contacting someone from the Leicester

setup, as they have succeeded in getting a track

on the go from virtually nothing, although I am sure

it is going to cost a fair amount of money to go through

the various processes involved.

I used to enjoy me trips to both watch and race at MK

in the early 90's. Be good to see the Knights back on

track sometime in the near future.

A group of speedway enthusiasts in Milton Keynes are looking into the viability of resurectting the MK Knights, the speeedway team who used to ride in the city, We aim to start of with a public meeting to gauge the interest, but has anyone ever done this before with little or no capital and frankly where would we start. We believe there is still a viable track option at the greyhound stadium but this has not been confirmed. Any current or ex speedway promotor rider or fan who might be able to advise on our course of action would of course be very welcome to get in touch. So far we have 266 members but obvioously need much more, a business plan of action and dare I say some capital investment along with some blood sweat and tears and hard graft. I think if any city can do this it would be Milton Keynes given the speed at which it is growing and the energy shown to all outdoor sports. Please if anyone can help leave a post and I'll get in touch.

I wish you all the best of luck in your quest to get the Knights racing again. It is my personal aim to also revive speedway in Tamworth but like yourself we have little capital and very little experience in promoting apart from managing Team Viking. It would probably be best to start by track sharing at a track such as Leicester when they open, lets face it they wont turn down the chance of extra income. the other option would be to get 7 mk knights race jackets produced and do some national league challenge matches to get the mk name back on the radar. there are plenty of young british riders who would jump at the chance to ride and its not as difficult to get meetings at that level as you may think. Team viking started out doing 2nd half challanges and now we are doing full meetings all within the space of a year. If you need any help in getting your project off the ground please dont hesitate to pm me

Hi Guys, Good luck getting the speedway started in the Keynes,

I will certainly attend meeting as I live near the Keynes and Oxford is closed (If Oxford start up I'll have 2 teams to follow).

I know a number of people from work who would also like to see the Knights re-appear, living in the Keynes or the Aylesbury Vale area.

So I think you would have a good following.

Anyway once again good luck and wait to enjoy speedway on my door step. Paul

What Greyhound stadium is this ?

What Greyhound stadium is this ?

This one??... although I heard it's been built over since this overhead was taken!!

Edited by Shadders

This one??... although I heard it's been built over since this overhead was taken!!

Thats the original Groveway Stadium! :blink:

Thats the original Groveway Stadium! :blink:

Yeah, I know... Got the details from THIS

That's why i questioned it !. Groveway is now a large housing development since the stadium was closed about 8 years ago, sorry to be negative but i just can't see Speedway returning to MK, it just doesn't fit in with the structure of the town.

the last dog meeting at the groveway was december 26 2005. does anyone remember the steep slope from the speedway pits to the track. :)

the last dog meeting at the groveway was december 26 2005. does anyone remember the steep slope from the speedway pits to the track. :)

Indeed I do, I was at the last dog meeting at the track as I had dogs running!...the slope was ideal for speedway but not so for the dogs!!

The Stadium is sadly flattened and the track is all but gone.

Good luck with the venture.

The old Greyhound track at Milton Keynes, The groveway stadium where speedway was held between 1978 and 1988 is indeed very old now - it was flattened after closing in 2005, like other posters have said!

The 1989-1992 base of Milton Keynes speedway, Eldfield Park is now all overgrown but was meant to be the site of a new greyhound track which hasn't been built yet!

Milton Keynes never got very big crowds not even in the novelty of the early days at a time when most speedway tracks in England were getting double or even three times the crowds we see nowadays. This means that EL or PL level racing would probably not be viable in Milton Keynes in modern times. 3rd tier racing could be viable, indeed I think had the 3rd Division been around when Milton Keynes Knights were around this lower level of speedway may of kept the club going!

Running speedway is a very expensive business. Building a very basic track, with basic spectators facilities would cost at the very least £100,000 though I'd of said that 5-7 years ago and things are more expensive now!

Good luck, British speedway would be better and grow with more Cities and towns staging the sport cuase people who currently don't go to speedway would be enticed. Some people say that the sport isn't popular enough to accomodate more teams and tracks but its amazing the people who come out of the woodwork and many fans of defunct tracks will only return to speedway when their team reopens!

I can help for sure - I've started 3 tracks in the US on zero capital and have a modest, though viable business. Message me a number off list!

Hey guys, many thanks for the constructive criticism and support, which I have taken onboard. I was aware of the old greyhound track being built over and what I meant to say was the same as the recent poster about the site that wasn't built on! MK Council say there are no plans to build there, so perhaps we should explore that option. I do not think MK should aim for top flight speedway and the 3rd tier is probably the most viable option given the diversity of sport in MK which would spread the fan base. However you have to start somewhere. I remember watching non-League Wimbledon FC knock out top flight Burnley FC in the FA Cup in 1974 then holding the mighty Leeds to a draw. I say this because they eventually went on to gain promotion to the Premier League, so it just goes to show what can be achieved with hard work and ambition (and with very little money by the way.) It's early days and I guess we should work to a 5 year plan, but if we don't have dreams then what's left? Would appreciate as much advice as possible before deciding to launch a full 'Can the MK Knights Ride Again' campaign and begin holding public meetings etc.

The re-birth of Rye House started with a group of fans who wanted to see the rockets rise from the ashes and started them off in a track share / nomadic exsistance before they managed to get back to Rye House Stadium. The names I seem to remember were Steve Ribbons and John Samford (rockets team manager) but there were others as well.(This was in the days before Len Silver became involved). Maybe one or more of these people could give you some advice and point you in the right direction and point out some of the pitfalls and problems involved.

Whatever the outcome I wish you luck with your plans as I would love to see the knights back on the track again.