British Speedway Forum

Does it really matter who sponsors a speedway meeting/rider/race?

Any sponsorship is good sponsorship and we should be showing gratitude for it!

Does it really matter who sponsors a speedway meeting/rider/race?

Any sponsorship is good sponsorship and we should be showing gratitude for it!

It seems that I am in a minority. Sponsorship by any of the Armed Forces is IMO completely wrong and unethical.

It seems that I am in a minority. Sponsorship by any of the Armed Forces is IMO completely wrong and unethical.

I don't understand why you say that, could you explain why you think so? Like has been pointed out previously, the US Army sponsors cars in NASCAR, which I have a little interest in, so thought nothing of this.

I assume the ultimate aim of US Army or Royal Navy sponsorship would be to encourage people to make that their career? Unless you feel that we are in no need of any kind of Armed Forces, what harm can be done by raising the profile a little?

Sponsorship by any of the Armed Forces is IMO completely wrong and unethical.

Why? The armed forces are legal organisations, so why should they not be able to promote themselves?

Edited by george.m

It's likely for recruitment purposes. It's typical lack of joined-up government thinking though - the government says it needs to reduce the size of the armed forces, so they go on a recruitment drive. :rolleyes:

One presumes no matter how severe any pending cuts are to be the older ones will always need to be replaced by fresh meat.....ooops younger recruits. Not to mention mounting canon fodder losses should they need to engage in direct conflict.

Totally agree. I would elaborate in far, far greater detail but clearly this is not the time or place. It is after all a speedway forum and to go off at a tangent on such a sensitive/volatile topic isn't really right.

Anyway, i'm just relieved we don't have sponsorship by the Royal Family, now that would be waving a red flag in front of a big bull (meeeee lol). We'd witness a live track invasion (meeeee again defacing or ripping of the fork covers lol). Let us all remember those who cheer the loudest are the most oppressed :lol:

Edited by manchesterpaul

I mentioned at the end of last year's series that the 2010 version was likely to be one of the best ever. The actual mix of new exciting riders next to long standing ones, who were likely to further improve or rediscover top form, was clearly going to make a fascinating battle. To further enhance optimism was the potential for significant changes in track preparation which has now largely transpired. That is as far as i am concerned the biggest factor in a heartwarming showcase of speedway. I just hope that the sport can recover from damage inflicted in recent years of the dire processional 'racing' on show that has left countless thousands of inquisitive Sky viewers with no intention of ever watching speedway again, let alone going to a local track.

BSI and IMG have done lots of work in many areas. However, despite their sterling efforts in these troubled economic times they are failing in two areas. I appreciate all sports across the globe are losing sponsors left, right and centre as well as stuggling to gain new ones. But, the SGP is not remotely seeking fees of the astronomical sums that the NFL in America and Premier League over here require. An absolute golden opportunity of television advertising could be gained by large companies or corporations through the televising alone. Obviously most of the aforementioned are ignorant of the sport's existence, however, a presentation including footage of crowds in famous stadiums, families having a great time and exciting racing clips would surely trigger interest? Certainly they would be interested with an acceptable contract making value for money tv air time .

The second fault i would judge them to be guilty of is the thorny subject of ticket pricing. I've spoken to people abroad over the years and many times they have said that the cost to attend is out of alignment with the level of the local economy. In some stagings (not Poland, UK or Sweden etc) it has been likened to an annual circus pulling into town with the strange distinction that the local population do NOT attend. I had thought the BSI/IMG were addressing this aspect, however, looking at the rows of empty seats in the prime tv shot of the starting line presented a bad appearance of the sport. I can only summise this was due to high ticketing prices for that section. Footage and pictures shown around the world will show a lot of empty spaces as they won't do what the Sky team do and pan across the packed sections of the crowd.

Looking at Cardiff it seems a crying shame that yet another GP this year of sheer spectacle and exciting racing is going relatively unrewarded in financial gain and public recognition. Hey imagine if Emil Sayfutdinov had been around for his five races as well! One hopes that some non speedway viewers did tune in to the superbly produced Sky broadcast. Many sincere thanks to all involved in it's production - well except for the ones who are supposed to keep accurate track of the meetings permutations, a long term Sky flaw that. However, an impressively superb televised event it was nonetheless. It was for those in the stadium and watching at home fantastic entertainment. Just make sure to pass this hidden secret along to your mate in charge of that multinational conglomerate down the road.

Sponsorship is so hard to get now adays and it is ironic that in the GP's riders have to have sponsor boards around their pit, A good presentation can make a big difference to a riders exposure along with that of his sponsors.

Why is it that during the GOP's Mr TV Brandon has to do all the interviews in front if a non discript place.

Is BSI saying we dont care about you or your sponsors, its us, us , us.

As for the league, again nothing is done to help riders by a mention of sponsors, a little quote about some one having new backers and welcoming them to the sport etc will go a long way, but the officials seem to miss the plot. so sponsors go, like Meridien.

The winter meetings need to have a big agenda and it sort your selves out , teams, tracks and officials.

Question for the real supporters.

Which BRITISH rider in Elite has brought in a new to Speedway sponsor, ]Major British Motor Industry supplier, and what has been done by Sky or the teams announcers to give them some mention . Guess what they will be off thankyou very much and ill be sponsoring golf or something else. Our officials dont deserve sponsors.

PGE (Polish Energy Group) on the race jackets tonight - any complaints anyone? :rolleyes:

Edited by Mateusz

I don't understand why you say that, could you explain why you think so? Like has been pointed out previously, the US Army sponsors cars in NASCAR, which I have a little interest in, so thought nothing of this.

I assume the ultimate aim of US Army or Royal Navy sponsorship would be to encourage people to make that their career? Unless you feel that we are in no need of any kind of Armed Forces, what harm can be done by raising the profile a little?

My opinions, like those I suspect of Manchesterpaul, are not really appropriate to place on a speedway forum. However, I will say that I am against any military force, whatever the nationality, sponsoring sport.

Question for the real supporters.

Which BRITISH rider in Elite has brought in a new to Speedway sponsor, ]Major British Motor Industry supplier, and what has been done by Sky or the teams announcers to give them some mention . Guess what they will be off thankyou very much and ill be sponsoring golf or something else. Our officials dont deserve sponsors.

I've found this discussion interesting - obviously the race jacket is a commodity and its been sold to Torun (just like Spanish Tourism has signage at every MotoGP). It would be available for a Monster or Coca-Cola, KFC etc as well if they came to an arrangement with IMG.

The involvement of Red Bull and Monster is quite strategic and doesn't really need F1 cars to be at GPs - it gives those companies a direct line into Eastern Europe - a market difficult to crack through other means. They obviously recognise Speedway as the biggest sport in Poland and as a cost-effective way to tap into that market, like they do through NASCAR, Red Bull Air Race, F1 etc in other territories.

I am not necessarily a fan of armed forces sponsoring, however, leveraged correctly (as they do in the US) - they are some of the most successful sponsorships in creating cut through and real returns for the cash outlaid.

As for the text I've quoted above - did anyone actively push the new partnership to Sky? If they didn't, then it's unlikely to get recognition. Most of the time, TV and the media are crying out for information, its up to the PR representatives of the clubs and riders to be pushing info and briefing the media about any new sponsorships and so forth. You have to keep on their case and keep them up to speed. It would appear (watching the Elite League on TV from Australia) as though British promoters struggle enough to get people through the gates, let alone looking after their sponsors and briefing the media!

I suppose if the military are sponsoring speedway then at least a very small part of the £4500 of my taxes every year that goes towards funding the military is not being spent on weapons of mass destruction or paying young northern lads to act as mercenaries for American oil policy.