British Speedway Forum

Looking ahead to our next issue, on sale in August, our main feature will be the Top British Riders of the 1950s.

Writer Norman Jacobs is currently compiling his selection based on riders' performances for club(s) and country from 1950 to 1959 inclusive.

His list will NOT include Anzacs (Briggo and Ronnie Moore, etc) who rode under the GB banner during those years. Instead, it will concentrate only on English, Scottish and Welsh riders.

So who will be No.1 and who else do you think should make Norman's top 20?

We'd love to hear what you think before our list is published in Issue 10 of Classic Speedway magazine...

Edited by tmc

I go for Peter Craven, as being top of the list.

Can't wait for the issue, I just renewed my subscription, of this excellent magazine.

I go for Peter Craven, as being top of the list.

Can't wait for the issue, I just renewed my subscription, of this excellent magazine.

But will PC be our No.1 of the 50s?

What about Freddie - TWICE World Champ during the decade?

The suspense is unbearable...

Tony, Freddie Williams would indeed be a worthy number one. It should make for a very interesting read. Easily I would say the greatest Welsh rider ever.

Shame I wasn't born to be able too see these great riders race, but I always find reading about the history of our great the sport very interesting.

Will you be doing a pre-war version as well?

Will you be doing a pre-war version as well?

No,afraid not. Classic Speedway focuses mainly on the post-war period and particularly the 50s & 60s.

After Norman has unveiled his UK Top 20 from the 50s in Issue 10, he will put together his rankings for the 60s in Issue 11. Should be interesting.

However, The Legend feature in each issue occasionally covers a great from the earlier period (Tommy Farndon, for example).