British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCOTLAND1314

Speedway Yellow And Red Card

I've always wondered why speedway doesn't introduce a card system for riding offences during the meeting.

Offences

1. Back wheel spinning at start

2. Professional foul i.e. fallen rider stays down when partner not in the lead at time of fall

3. etc

Yellow card - rider does not take part in his next ride (or replace any other rider e.g. reserve taking a non-programmed replacement ride) and isn't allowed to be replaced

Red card - either straight red or two yellows rider not allowed to take any further part in the meeting, and isn't allowed to be replaced.

Plus if a rider exceeds a pre-defined points limit e.g. 7 points (points accumulate for each card received e.g. 1 for yellow, 2 for red) he is banned from his next meeting, and replaced by a junior.

I'm sure there are faults with the above system, it's just a starter for ten, but I feel it would help eradicate some of the annoying aspects of speedway offences.

Comment welcome

Scotland1314, sorry don't like it. Speedway is supposed to have four riders in a race, not three or two.

I don't see the need of a card system, the current system where a rider can be either excluded from a single race (now officially called disqualified) or excluded from a meeting for a severe offence (which only happens once is a blue moon) is absolutely fine.

All the best

Rob

Scotland1314, sorry don't like it. Speedway is supposed to have four riders in a race, not three or two.

I don't see the need of a card system, the current system where a rider can be either excluded from a single race (now officially called disqualified) or excluded from a meeting for a severe offence (which only happens once is a blue moon) is absolutely fine.

All the best

Rob

Roberto

Unfortuntely the current system allows, for want of a better expression, 'cheating'.

Why should a team prosper from cheating?

Plus I don't actually recall an 'exclusion from a meeting' ever occuring at a meeting I've attended.

Out of curiosity do you think the sport needs to eradicate the professional foul (as described above)?

Roberto

Unfortuntely the current system allows, for want of a better expression, 'cheating'.

Plus I don't actually recall an 'exclusion from a meeting' ever occuring at a meeting I've attended.

Out of curiosity do you think the sport needs to eradicate the professional foul (as described above)?

Wasn't Zorro thrown of a meeting at Newcastle about 3/4 years ago for dangerous ridding ? He's the only one I can recall in recent years

Roberto

Wasn't Zorro thrown of a meeting at Newcastle about 3/4 years ago for dangerous ridding ? He's the only one I can recall in recent years

Roberto

Rings a bell, but not sure.

Personally, I was looking to introduce a system that could help eradicate the annoying cheating that goes on in speedway and will continue to go on until something is done about it. If it can help eradicate dangerous riding as well so be it.

The current system allows cheating to exist.

Roberto

Scotland, I would allow the awarding of a race at any time, but ONLY if the ref is absolutely convinced that "a professional foul" has taken place (in general, I prefer to see races reach their conclusion, after all, the public has paid for 15 races). And a fine of £250 to the rider in question. That would serve as deterrant enough.

There should be 4 riders in a race whenever possible.

EDIT: Just to clarify, by any point, I'm not referring to the first/second bend, which is too early to judge if such a foul has taken place.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Scotland, I think you're being a little too clinical.

Controversy creates a talking point. It could be argued that British Speedway is a little too sterile these days. in the 1980s at Oxford, there used to be regular scuffles between riders - the fans lapped it up. I still remember an Oxford v Poole match from 1984 where it really kicked off. Look at Cardiff this year as a further example - everyone was talking about Holder/Crump and Nicki/Hans. Maybe we need more controversy, not less.

All the best

Rob

Indeed he was, in August 2005, when he ploughed into the side of Christian Henry going too quick into the 3rd turn at Brough Park.

All the best

Rob

Wasn't it you who posted on here some time ago, saying that red and yellow cards would be a good idea?

Nicki Pedersen was thrown out of a meeting a few years ago, after an incident with a fellow rider! Not in the Uk though.

Scotland, I would allow the awarding of a race at any time, but ONLY if the ref is absolutely convinced that "a professional foul" has taken place (in general, I prefer to see races reach their conclusion, after all, the public has paid for 15 races). And a fine of £250 to the rider in question. That would serve as deterrant enough.

There should be 4 riders in a race whenever possible.

All the best

Rob

So you would award a 5-1 based on a first bend first lap incident?

£250 fine won't prevent anything, others will pick up the rider tab if it was felt to have benefited the team.

The current system allows cheating to exist.

No system will stop it in a sport where the organisers see the rules as flexible to be worked around. Cheating is in the hands of the particpants and organisers, it's their decisions that count.

As I recall the first time I suggested this was in a letter to the SCB in the early 80s. It's so obvious it stands no chance!!

Scotland, I think you're being a little too clinical.

Controversy creates a talking point. It could be argued that British Speedway is a little too sterile these days. in the 1980s at Oxford, there used to be regular scuffles between riders - the fans lapped it up. I still remember an Oxford v Poole match from 1984 where it really kicked off. Look at Cardiff this year as a further example - everyone was talking about Holder/Crump and Nicki/Hans. Maybe we need more controversy, not less.

All the best

Rob

I like a good punch up with the best of them.

So to take your paragraph to it's eventual conclusion, so long as the cheating generated controversy you will be happy?