British Speedway Forum
newportspeedwayhh

Newport Hornets ~ V ~ Buxton Hitmen

Excellent meeting.Fully lived up to the title of 'Top of table' clash.

Scores.

Newport:

Todd Kurtz 1,3,3,2 = 9

Mark Jones 0,1,1,2' = 4+1

Tim Webster 1,x,1',3 = 5+1

Tony Atkin 3,3,2,3,1' = 12+1

Kyle Newman 2,3,3,1',2 = 11+1

Tom Young 2,1,0,0 = 3

James White-Williams 0,0,0,0 = 0

Buxton:

Craig Cook 3,1',2,3,3 = 12+1

Nick Morris 2',2,,2,3,1' = 10+2

R/R

Robert Brandford 2,0,1,1',2 = 6+1

Adam Allott 3,2,3,0,0 = 8

Lewis Dallaway 3,0,0,0 =3

Jason Garrity 1,1,2',0,2,1' = 7+2

Cook sped his way to a new NL track record in Ht13.New time is 59.32

Cook also excluded for a tapes offence in Ht11.He definitely moved,and a rerun was rightly called for.We were sat level with the riders back wheels at the start.Personally,I didnt think he actually touched them.He went off 15 metres.

As has been said,too many falls cost Newport dearly.Two of the falls were where young Garrity put the riders under pressure.He was excellent value for money.Always in the thick of it.There were times when it seemed like Newport riders were racing each other.

Overall an excellent meeting.The track was the best Ive seen it all year.95 minutes from start to finish.Very pleased I made the effort to go.

Thank you to Jules M and Wessex Wanderer for your company.Laugh a minute from start to finish.Oh how Id like to share some of things we discussed. :lol:

Congrats to Jayne and Co.

Commiserations to the Hornets.

Thanks Bob just got home with the journey seeming shorter after a good result for us. A good meeting tonight with everyone playing their part.

yes agree great match well done to the hit men rode very well , also as already said track was the best i have seen , well done to all track staff for the great effort, pity about the crowd both teams deserved more , but with the county playing wolves thought that would happen , but i will say this they missed one hell of a match well done to both teams ,a credit to the national league :D

Get in!!!

Just think what the score would have been if we hadn't been robbed of Wrighty :wink:

That'll be the Hornets then Jules B)

Joking aside, hope you enjoy your visit tonight.

Hornets matches always throw up good racing, incidents, controversy and solid home wins.

Whilst watching the Wasps can be painful at times, watching the Hornets is always good entertainment. Have a great day/evening and a safe trip here and home.

Well I must have put the mockers on the Hornets because the best team on the night were Buxton and congratulations to them for the win and doubly so for Craig Cook taking the track record away with him. It instills confidence in a team when you know you have the likes of Craig who can be relied upon to go out and win heats 13 and 15 for you.

Ably supported by Nick Morris, Adam allott and co, Buxton's only disappointment on the evening would have been Lewis Dallaway's score but in fairness to the lad he had the gremlins but even he won his first race agains the Hornets' reserves.

For the Hornets, Tony did a captain's job again and I would definately give him the chance to defend his NL Pairs title next week. Mark Jones had a poor meeting by his recent standards as did Tim Webster who's form has slumped worryingly since his 15 point maximum a few weeks back. Todd Kurtz showed signs of a bit more grit and not just from the gate wins and Kyle Newman put in a good score again.

Which leaves me with the reserves. I know these are only young lads but speedway, even at this level, is tough competition and points mean prizes and they were outscored 10 to 3 by Buxton's lads. If I get criticised then so be it but I'm going to give my two pennerth anyway.

James White Williams consistently jumps the starts and runs the risk of a 15 metre handicap. He did it last night and found himself from 15 metres in the reserve race and doesn't have the speed to make any ground up.

He crumbled under pressure (well done to Jason Garrity twice by the way) and threw away points by sliding off when he should have stayed calm and held his position.

He is too heavy. If James has any ambition to be a rider of any note then he simply has to prove that by losing 2 or 3 stones. If he can't do that then I personally don't think he should be in the team as to me it means he is not serious about his racing.

Tom Young had a very poor meeting last week but started off last night with 3 from 2 rides including a very good point in holding off Robert Branford to get us a 4-2 and right back into the match after heat 7. But then he reverted to type and ran a last (excusable considering the opposition in that race) and a fall when in a points scoring position and we needed the 4-2 in heat 14.

So, very disappointing from the reserves and in all honesty they cost the Hornets the match. Overcritical? Maybe, but that is just the feeling I get looking at it overall.

It's getting tight now at the top and we have a fair number of away matches left with only Weymouth due to visit QM.

I think for all round solidarity, Buxton may well be the team to beat for any other club to take the league.

Brilliant meeting especially from a neutral perspective. Track looked good and the racing was outstanding with every heat having you on the edge of your seat. Cook was awesome and deserved his new track record hopefully they wont do so well next Friday tho :rolleyes: definately the team to beat this season and I hope they go on to become league champions.

What a shame there weren't more people there, they don't what they are missing.

jules

Can't remember when I enjoyed a meeting quite as much as this one. Close scores, great racing, good and humorous company (JulesM and BobC) plus very few delays during the match.

Good win for the Hitmen in what might very well be a rehersal for the play off final.

:)

PS the younger Kurtz looked good in an after meeting spin. Very neat style.

PS the younger Kurtz looked good in an after meeting spin. Very neat style.

13, looked awesome :approve:

Brilliant meeting especially from a neutral perspective. Track looked good and the racing was outstanding with every heat having you on the edge of your seat. Cook was awesome and deserved his new track record hopefully they wont do so well next Friday tho :rolleyes: definately the team to beat this season and I hope they go on to become league champions.

What a shame there weren't more people there, they don't what they are missing.

jules

Glad you enjoyed the meeting Jules.

As far as the crowd is concerned, it was down on normal but the local football team, Newport County, were playing Wolverhampton Wanderers in a friendly match not half a mile away from the track at the same time so I expect that had an impact on the crowd at the speedway. Their car park was rammed full so I expect they had real good crowd.

Young Master Kurtz would hold his own in any NL team IMO

Id have to agree :approve:

Glad you enjoyed the meeting Jules.

As far as the crowd is concerned, it was down on normal but the local football team, Newport County, were playing Wolverhampton Wanderers in a friendly match not half a mile away from the track at the same time so I expect that had an impact on the crowd at the speedway. Their car park was rammed full so I expect they had real good crowd.

1250 according to todays argus :shock:

For the Hornets, Tony did a captain's job again and I would definately give him the chance to defend his NL Pairs title next week. Mark Jones had a poor meeting by his recent standards as did Tim Webster who's form has slumped worryingly since his 15 point maximum a few weeks back. Todd Kurtz showed signs of a bit more grit and not just from the gate wins and Kyle Newman put in a good score again.

Which leaves me with the reserves. I know these are only young lads but speedway, even at this level, is tough competition and points mean prizes and they were outscored 10 to 3 by Buxton's lads. If I get criticised then so be it but I'm going to give my two pennerth anyway.

James White Williams consistently jumps the starts and runs the risk of a 15 metre handicap. He did it last night and found himself from 15 metres in the reserve race and doesn't have the speed to make any ground up.

He crumbled under pressure (well done to Jason Garrity twice by the way) and threw away points by sliding off when he should have stayed calm and held his position.

He is too heavy. If James has any ambition to be a rider of any note then he simply has to prove that by losing 2 or 3 stones. If he can't do that then I personally don't think he should be in the team as to me it means he is not serious about his racing.

PCIG

I feel your comment about James is way way too harsh. Yes he had a bad night and he and his crew are well aware of this but to make the comment you have about his weight I think is a BIG touch too personal. Everyone has their own makeup, my youngest son carried a tad extra weight when he was in junior school and because he was bullied so much about it I had to take him out of the school and move him to a different school. He suffered so much because of the insults he received and it knocked his confidence severely.

I dont think you are in any way shape or form qualified to make the sort of comment that you did, afterall I guess you are not going to approach James and tell him are you?

Regards

Helen

Edited by newportspeedwayhh