British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Vintage Speedway Magazine

How many people on here buy the quarterly Vintage Speedway Magazine, or have heard of it?

I was asked to succeed John Chaplin as Editor of VSM earlier this year and after producing the last 3 issues, I must say how good it is to be back involved with our great sport again after leaving Speedway Mail in 1992. But that's enough about me.

The point is, I would be very interested to receive any feedback - not only from those of you who already get VSM but, just as importantly, from those of you who don't, for whatever reason.

We have introduced some slightly less vintage content to the mag since last February - for instance, the latest issue includes a big exclusive with Kelly Moran on his battleagainst the booze. Regular columnist Andrew Edwards writes about the missing Penhall factor in British speedway today, while John Berry recalls his promoting experiences at Doncaster and Dave Lanning takes a look at the Kennett family.

In the previous issue, John Berry wrote with typical candour about the rise and fall of Mike Lee.

Your suggestions for articles, interviews and other possible content in future issues (next one due out Feb 1) would be very welcome.

All the best.

Tony McDonald

i get the magazine, and always like to read it through, even though i haven't heard of some of the riders :oops:

there are some good articles and also the stories of what some of the earlier riders got up to is good.

in John Berry's article, i think he was getting not at Michael Lee directly, but the culture that was evident in the early 80s.

good luck with the magazine

I've got every copy since vol.1 no.1 & I think it's brilliant. I love wallowing in nostalgia & read every issue cover to cover. Keep up the good work. :)

How does one subscribe?

Excellent magazine... i read it from cover to cover ......Had a letter published in one

Brilliant story of Kelly Moran, had a lump in my throat reading it.........MORE PLEASE

Tony, i am a regular, avid reader, picking up the latest copy from my good friend Peter Lipscomb each time. I love sitting and reading about the good ol days, reminising about certain riders, and having a nostalgic laugh at some of the stories.

i spoke to Peter after the Film Evening at High Beach recently, about the Lokeran road disaster back in July 1970 (thanks to the guys on here for the info they posted!) and after hearing Stan Stevens account of the happenings of that fateful Morning, i would like to see maybe a piece written either as an interview with Stan, or about the interview that John Chaplin did that saturday night at High Beach.

it was an interesting and moving story that Stan gave, and personally i think it needs a bigger audience than the 100 or so that attended the Film Night.

My heartiest congratulations, by the way, for the Film Evening. it was a very good show, and the work that Tony Steele has done in order for us to marvel at the hero's of yesteryear, was incredible. The work he must have put in was unthinkable, and my thanks go to John, Peter, Tony, yourself and the VSM Team for taking the time, and having the heart to put the evening on for us.

Carry on the good work

Sean

How does one subscribe?

Sandman..here are the contacts....

Peter Lipscomb

1, London Road,

Aston Clinton,

Buckinghamshire,

HP22 5HG

Phone/Fax 01296 630404.

Many thanks to all for your kind comments and encouragement.

And also for beating me to it in pointing Sandman in the right direction of a subscription from Pete Lipscomb!

So glad you enjoyed the film evening and more such gatherings should be on the agenda...

The Lokeren story deserves re-telling because it had such a profound effect on those who survived and serve as a reminder of those who were taken from us.

Perhaps a joint-interview with Stan Stevens and Colin Pratt, another survivor, would make interesting, if sad, reading?

Fantastic mag. I'm only missing two issues. It's a shame all the nostalgia can't be transfered over to real in your face track action. The jubilee meet. at Ryehouse back in March was great. Anyway enough of my rubbish, keep up the good work.

Tony

I have tried VSM a couple of times but having first seen the sport in '68, a number of the articles were before my time (albeit very interesting). However, I will be far more likely to subscribe to read about stuff that I can remember the 1st time around so I guess I am pleased to see that shift in emphasis.

On the point of Lokeren, I seem to remember 5-1 magazine did a lengthy feature on it a few years back, but it would be a good subject to revisit. As a Cradley fan we were affected through the injuries to Pratty and also the death of Mal Carmichael who had been riding 2nd halves at Dudley Wood, but I can still vividly remember the front cover of the local newspaper (Express & Star) and the page being devoted to the tragedy.

VSM- £2 an issue, a really good read and more info and better value than just about any programme Elite speedway or even Premier League football. I get mine from the nice man selling them at Wimbledon...well done chaps..

And I really enjoy Bertola's features, more from him please.

Has anyone asked Mike Lee what he thought of the John (Ipswich) Berry article about him? And if Mr Berry was aware of the US riders drug influence at the time, as he seems to have done, why wasn't it sorted out then for the benefit of the sport , fans and riders involved?

It was more interesting trying to work out who those others were. Why not name them know or ask them for their stories now.

As sports nostalgia biographies are all the rage now, a well written book on Michael Lee should sell well and be of interest to more people than those in the sport...youth prodigy/wild boy to sports idol, people loved or hated him, a downfall, comebacks, drug busts,prison and renaissance as rider/coach/tuner at Mildenhall. Anyway someone approach him and write it. There one hell of a story there.

There is an interview on the net by Carl Askew who mentions he similarly messed up his career in England partly by drinking and drugs. As i met him and his lovely wife in 1979, it is very sad and I'd never have guessed.

And ah, Stan Stevens!

Hear, hear to an article on him. I remember him well from Mildenhall's early days when he was in his forties. He seemed like a true gentleman. Hugged the white line like no other rider. The epic meeting v Newcastle's great NL team in 1976 when 3 men held Stan back from attacking Robbie Blackadder who'd steamed into Stan's Jap on the back straight and broke the frame! (deliberately it appeared). Couldn't believe it of Stan as he was so quiet. Part of an amazing victory that day. Retired quietly mid season in 1976 replaced by Alan Cowland. Another huge character. Booed when a Peterboro rider one month, hailed as a Fen Tiger hero not long after. He was TOUGH.

Stan the man who wore thick cotton Arsenal kit under his leathers all thru that long hot summer! And didn't he help Bob Coles and Neil Street with the 4 valva Jap street conversion? And as he worked for the Daily Mirror did Mr Maxwell leave him penniless???

Thanks for the memories Stan, Top Man.

Gents, good work on VSM, more articles on our heroes from years gone by.

Cheers

As I have said on another thread, Stan Stevens was my hero at West Ham and now a good mate with whom to share happy speedway memories.

As for VSM, I have subscribed for a number of years now and I do like the new look with the mix of old and not so old material. It is well produced. It has a team of excellent writers (with the exception of the turgid Bob Radford of course). It is so good to see Dave Lanning, Eric Linden and others still in full flow.

Keep up the good work, tmc; I'm sorry I misserd you at the film evening. Hopefully we can catrch up at High Beech in February.