British Speedway Forum
tomcat

Issue 39

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms here... need my Backtrack fix... :) Please.

Issue 39 plopped on the mat this morning. Nice one!

Issue 39 plopped on the mat this morning. Nice one!

As did mine... talk about great timing.

Salty... are you the poster who is in Belfast?

Just asking as in Lisburn myself mate.

I'm always pleasantly surprised as to the amount of NI folk

that have a good knowledge of speedway, even one of my friends

from the world of WW2 Living History is in the STR and regularly

rides in the Men In Black races. He's another of us English folk

that came over to this fair and pleasant Country and enjoys being

here very much.

Anyway, at least I have my Backtrack fix now... loving it so far.

Managed to get through the Mike Lee pieces before wifey started,

will read the rest when I finally get to bed... :lol:

As did mine... talk about great timing.

Salty... are you the poster who is in Belfast?

Just asking as in Lisburn myself mate.

Not far away then. Have lived here for 10 years, on Lisburn/Belfast border.

Glad your Backtrack itch has been scratched!

Not far away then. Have lived here for 10 years, on Lisburn/Belfast border.

Glad your Backtrack itch has been scratched!

Well Howdy neighbour...We've been here 5 years now.

Yep, itch well and truly scratched now.

Look whats in the latest issue (No.39) of BACKTRACK...

BEST OF BRITISH The 70s

The 1970s was generally an outstanding period of unprecedented success for British speedway, featuring as it did six World Team Cup victories for GB or England teams, four World Pairs wins and, of course, Peter Collins individual World Championship in 1976.

But it wasnt just in the international arena where the Brits flourished like never before. In the domestic British League there was no shortage of very talented riders challenging, and at times toppling, the overseas giants led by Barry Briggs, Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen and Anders Michanek.

So who were the top Brits from this glorious decade and how would you rank them now? Its a tough task, but Backtracks John Berry has never ducked a challenge.

We asked JB to list, in order, his best 20 UK riders from the 70s, disregarding all performances before and after the cut-off dates. The term best takes into account club and personal achievements from 1970 until 1979 inclusive.

See how many of his choices you agree with...

MICHAEL LEE Exclusive interview

Shocking, hard-hitting and revealing . . . just some of the superlatives used to describe Retro Speedways latest book. Backtracks Tony McDonald, author of Michael Lee: Back From The Brink, provides a glimpse into the 336 pages and gets the former World Champions reaction to a warts and all story that has the makings of a best-seller.

WORLD FINAL FLASHPOINTS Wembley, 1975

Continuing our series where we recall a crucial moment in World Final history, Peter Collins recalls the race in 1975 when his title chances literally went up in a cloud of dust.

TIM SWALES Meet the Boss

In the first of a new series in which we catch up with a former promoter, Martin Neal visited the home of Tim Swales, for so long the driving force behind Middlesbrough and long-time chairman of the BSPA.

BRUCE PENHALL COLUMN

Our American columnist and former double World Champion bemoans the lack of characters in speedway today and suggests this is one of the reason why the sport is now struggling to survive both here in the UK and his homeland. As Penhall points out, 10 of the British League tracks who were running when he arrived here in 1978 are now defunct.

Bruce also talks about one of his regrets in speedway and reacts to receiving a copy of former rival Mike Lees new book and why he rated Lee a more difficult opponent than either Ivan Mauger or Ole Olsen.

SIMMOS COLUMN

AS Great Britain prepares for another daunting World Cup bid, our other columnist questions whether todays riders have the same pride in riding for their country as he and his England team-mates did in the 70s and 80s.

Simmo also continues his analysis of speedway engines of the past by running the rule over the Weslake that took the sport by storm in the mid-70s.

IVAN MAUGER book extract

IN the days before points limits governed team strengths, the BSPA favoured a system of rider control in its bid to balance team strengths and its biggest fall guy of all was Ivan Mauger.

But as Ivan tells in this excerpt from his autobiography The Will To Win, in double-quick time he went from being the rider Belle Vue had to lose to the rider Exeter had to have.

His stunning switch to the Falcons after the start of the 1973 season paved the way to five years of unprecedented success and excitement at the County Ground.

ROLAND DANNO Exclusive interview

He spent only two seasons in England in the late 80s with Hackney and then Belle Vue, but Roland Danno showed lots of promise and a bright future was predicted for him. Sadly, his career literally came crashing down in 1989 but, as Martin Neal reports, the Swede is still making a big success of his life.

PETER SCHROECK Exclusive interview

Peter Schroeck made history as the first foreigner to compete in the National League. But as we discover, it was an uncomfortable time for Rye Houses young German trailblazer.

RADFORDS TRAVELS

The intrepid Bob concludes his journeys back in time with a look back at the following venues: Terenzano, Vargarna, Vetlanda, Ventura, Vojens, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton and Workington.

UNSUNG RIDERS

Learn more about Former Wolves rider Lars Munkedal and early 70s Cradley Heath hopeful Richard Eslick.

IAN HUMPHREYS Q&A

The former Weymouth, Arena Essex and Exeter rider recalls the highs and lows of his National League career.

A TO Z OF INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY

Start of a regular new feature where we take a slightly cynical and, at times, irreverent look back at the men of influence and other things of interest from the Backtrack era. In this issue we cover A and B, which means mentions for: Peter Adams, Americans, Jan Andersson, announcers, anoraks, Arlington Academy, Martin Ashby, Australia, Scott Autrey, badges, Stuart Bamforth, George Barclay, Dick Barrie, Mick Bell, Belle Vue (Hyde Road), John Berry, Terry Betts, Dr Carlo Biagi, BLRC, the Boococks, Eric Boothroyd, Dick Bracher, Bradford, Barry Briggs, British Final, British League, British Lions and the BSPA.

1980 GRAND SLAM ANNIVERSARY - World Championship: the individual

In the second of our three-part series looking back at Englands unique Grand Slam achievement in 1980, Richard Bott recalls the highlight of Michael Lees racing career.

MIKHAIL STAROSTIN Exclusive interview

A rare insight from Vitek Formanek into the life and times of Russias top rider from the late 70s and early 80s, including his special memories from his appearance in the 1982 World Final in Los Angeles.

Plus...your letters and another feast of great pictures from a golden era!

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Crikey, this issue is pretty darned good, even if I do say so myself.

Simmo doesn't pull any punches does he and he is absolutely right in

what he has to say, as is Bruce Penhall.

Shame that some of our younger forum members didn't get the chance

to see our beloved sport in the 70's and 80's, as a few You Tube clips

really don't do it justice I am afraid.

As the topic seemed to be on tracks in the Simmo piece, I just watched

the replay of the 2009 WTC Final on Sky, as todays opening round fell

victim to the weather.

Take the track as it was at the start of that meeting and you will get

an idea of how tracks were back in the day. There is a thread on the

General Discussions page on here, re tracks and it makes quite interesting

reading, with one or two people seeing what others have been saying for a

long time now. Tracks are way too slick and those arguing that todays engines

can't handle dirt have had that argument well and truly blown out of the water.

The track for last years WTC Final had dirt a plenty, grip and was obviously

well watered to start, due to the rain the previous day and during the night.

Those riders willing to attack it got their rewards, those that ponced about

got nothing, but it did show that even todays laydowns could handle the dirt,

it was down to throttle control and riding ability, until it became slicker

towards the latter part of the meeting.

Anyway, I await the usual attacks, but you cant deny what was there in front of

your eyes people and as I have said a few times on the Way Ahead thread, sometimes

you have to look at the past to move the sport forwards.

Also read the very good thread on the 70's on here too.... what happened to our

sport? Like many others, I too loved getting things like the Rosettes, badges,

patches and having a hand painted proggy board. Bearing in mind I was just a pimply

kid back then, I came across a really nice ornage pullover, which soon had me sewing

black tiger stripes on, which I proudly donned to meetings, which I attended via the

Speedway Special (Bus) from Felixstowe, I also used to ride to meetings on my racing

bike, pedalling to and from Witnesham, which was a fair old haul for a kid back then.

The fun aspect has gone from the sport and it really is all about who has the most

money now, both from the riders and promoters point of view, which is pretty sad really.

TMc... Keep up the fantastic work and Thankyou for enabling me and many others, to enjoy

what we deemed to be the heyday of British speedway, although others will deem the 60's

and before as the best, but to us, the 70's were it...