British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Golden Joker! - Poll And Discussions…

Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Golden Joker is a good idea?

• Yes
    • No

I understand that the decisions at the Conference have yet to be ratified and in the fans and sponsors can kick up a big enough stink over this, I reckon we can get this suicidal rule change kicked into touch.

First we have to note whether Nigel Pearson is really worth his salt and whether he will report the finding of the poll going on with this web site.

Some sort of letter writing, emailing of faxing campaign would be useful.

I would recommend if you were going to do any of the above to keep your communications civil DO NOT SWEAR and communicate your disgust and dislike of this rule either to your own Promoter or the BSPA or prefererably both.

If enough of us get of our bums I reckon we can make a real difference to our sport.

I feel that the BSPA have grossly underestimated the hatred of this rule and it is up to us to try and swing them round to the sensible option of ditching the the Golden Double.

Guest chicken george

The golden double is one of the best things to happen to speedway for a long time we need to keep it to keep speedway alive .

At last the horribly unfair TS rule has gone! Why the heck should a team who may have contrived to be 6pts down be able to whack in their heat-leaders at opportune moments? How may times have we seen poor teams with 3 good heat-leaders win a match when they shouldn't have done? OK it may still happen, but at least this way they have to do it the hard way with 2 out of the 3 GTs from programmed rides.

So if the riders are nominated at the start of the meeting, do the rides have to be their programmed rides? We're not talking replacing riders in heat 14 with a top gun or something?

I'm just trying to get exactly how this will work before making my mind up - if it is programmed rides then why not? You still have to be 8 points down and the rider still has to go out and win their programmed race to make the maximum benefit. Can't see what the fuss is about...think it will just make team managers work harder and we'll see more tactics. TS's are fine but have always benefitted top heavy teams, I'll willing to give anything a shot if it will make for more exciting meetings - being able to bring out a top heat leader over a lesser rider in heat 14 when a teams worked hard to get a decent lead always seemed unfair anyway, especially when a good top 2 will be out in the next race.

Just my opinion before I'm branded a heretic. :unsure:

The golden double is one of the best things to happen to speedway for a long time we need to keep it to keep speedway alive .

OK I am interested in the reasons why people support this.

Why is it one of the best things to happen - considering the universal oppostion to the rule from almost all quarters?

How do i explain to new visitors (and hope to retain a modicum of credibility) that someone gets 6 in one particular race and only 3 for all their other heat wins??

This rule created false results in the KOC last year (apparently, as i boycotted it because of stupid rules!), this is going to radically affect the Bonus Point situation and in my opinion takes a huge amount of skill out of Team Managing.

The only consolation is that it will save me a shed load of money during the summer because i shalln't be frequenting Blunsdon to watch It's a Knockout every Thursday!!

Guest chicken george
How do i explain to new visitors (and hope to retain a modicum of credibility) that someone gets 6 in one particular race and only 3 for all their other heat wins??

This rule created false results in the KOC last year (apparently, as i boycotted it because of stupid rules!), this is going to radically affect the Bonus Point situation and in my opinion takes a huge amount of skill out of Team Managing.

The only consolation is that it will save me a shed load of money during the summer because i shalln't be frequenting Blunsdon to watch It's a Knockout every Thursday!!

shut up you stay in to watch eastenders :D:D:D

shut up you stay in to watch eastenders :D:D:D

Could always come round your house for tea!!

Edited by frigbo

Does the fact that 7 votes have been made in favour of this stupid rule suggest that we have 7 BSPA lurkers on the forum? If so I hope they're taking notice of the 92%+ of supporters.

There are just so many reasons why this rule is insane it would take all day to list them.

And clearly it is going to encourage 'race fixing' it makes sense to drop a point if you are going to be gifted 3 points back for nothing from your No.1 in the next heat.

This rule is just so bizarre and off the wall even by BSPA standards, I cant really believe its true.

Apology from Neil Machin in the Sheffield programme May 23 2003, 08:18 AM

First of all an apology. It follows widespread criticism of the new KO Cup

rules relating to the golden double facilities, which were designed to

bring scores closer without actually diminishing the spectacle in any way.

We will obviously accommodate the rules this year for the remaining cup

fixtures, but your voices have been heard and the item will be revisited

at the next AGM.

http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/ind...c=1737&hl=joker

Many of the fans complained about this rule this year but now they bring it into the main league!

91.67% of the votes so far say we don't want it.

Will the speedway star have the guts to offer a national vote in their magazine on this issue?

And clearly it is going to encourage 'race fixing' it makes sense to drop a point if you are going to be gifted 3 points back for nothing from your No.1 in the next heat.

AoC's point just proves that we need more information on this - he's viewing it a completely different way to how I am. Are the nominated riders only allowed to go for double in their programmed rides or can they come in to replace another rider in the style of the old tactical and go for double points? I'm seen plenty of people spouting off on this rule but no-one seems to have the answer to this pretty important factor or is everyone so blindly against it they don't care what the finer points are???

If they'll be used in the same way as a tactical now (for example a heat leader coming in in ht 14 to replace a 2nd string etc) then I agree it seems ludicrous if they can get double points. But, if that same heat leader is nominated to ride in heat 13 as per his programmed ride and his team is 8 points behind, he still has to go out and win that heat over his other 3 heat leader opponents to get the maximum advantage. If this applies, I've no real problem with it replacing the old style t/s.

Edited by rabbit

Is it do that riders involved in a Golden Tactical ride have to wear big pointy black shoes and have the oppo fans throwing wet sponges at them as they circum-navigate the track?

Chicken George, you can just get yourself back to Ringfind!

The way I understand it is that two riders can be nominated to score double points in one heat (each) and the Golden Double (30 metres back) remains in operation as before. Not sure if one rider can have a Golden Joker (if thats what its called) and Double. I'm guessing that those suggesting the riders must be nominated before the start of a meeting are just on a wind up!

Are the nominated riders only allowed to go for double in their programmed rides

Yes. The ludicrous Golden Joker rule is that if you are 8 points behind at any stage you can nominate one of the programmed riders in the next heat to score double points. (you can't bring in a rider to do the joker).

So from your Poole point of view, if you are away and go 8 points down at heat 8, with Rickardsson out for his easiest ride of the night in heat 9, you can just say we'll play our joker on Rickardsson and collect 6 points instead of three.

There is also the option to do the Golden Tactical where you bring in a replacement rider and he starts 15m back and scores double points.

You can use the joker twice, and the Golden tactical once. No other tac subs of any kind are permitted.

Its pathetic.

nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononononon.

Tac subs have never been a problem, do you know of anyone who has complained

about them in the past?

The new introductions are just our masters trying to be trendy. If 92% of

concerned and sensible supporters are against it surely this message must get

back to them

According to my calculations, this rule means that it will be possible to win a match using just 3 riders, With just 3 heat leaders, it works like this...

Heat 1. Home no.1 wins, opp. riders 2nd and 3rd 3-3

Heat 2. No home riders turn up, opp. win heat 5-0 3-8

Heat 3 Home no.3 wins, opp. 2nd and 3rd (3-3) 6-11

Heat 4 Home no. 5 wins , " " " " 9-14

Heat 5 Home no. 3 wins ," " " " 12-17

Heat 6 Home no. 1 wins ....................... 15-20

Heat 7 Home no. 5 wins ....................... 18-23

Heat 8 No home riders opp. win heat 5-0 18-28

Heat 9 as the home side are behind by more than 8 points, their lone rider (no.3)

is nominated as the golden joke® and wins for a 6-3 heat advantage

24-31

Heat 10 Home no.1 wins (3-3) 27-34

Heat 11 Home no. 5 wins......................................... 30-37

Heat 12 Home no.3 wins...........................................33-40

Heat 13 In their first pairing together, no.1 + 5 score a terrific 5-1!!!!

38-41

Heat14 Using the rider replacement rule, the lowest ranked heat leader rides in the place of a second string. and wins. (3-3) 41-44

Heat 15 The home pair score a 5-1 46-45

Now that's just plain silliness, but may be useful when you've got 4 riders injured.