British Speedway Forum
fentigers79

Mildenhall Speedway

Coventry retorted: "This seems to be the attitude of a lot of people in speedway. The stadium has overheads and the rent includes track preparation, which is a very expensive business."

Misleading to say the least :angry:

It would be true to say that costs for any of the shale (actually, at Mildenhall, its brick dust mixed with clay)are met by Dave Coventry and that he repairs the track after stock car meetings, removing the concrete blocks that are round the inside of the circuit. He also is responsible for taking the safety fence down.

However, the fence is put up by a team of volunteers on behalf of Mildenhall Speedway (which takes several hours)who also do other tasks like checking lights, painting the white line, starting gate etc.

All of the track and security staff are volunteers who act on behalf of the speedway promotion.

Joe Evans prepares the track (usually starting around 10.00am) and continues looking after it during the meeting. He's paid by Ray Mascall.

Its very, very far from the case that the speedway riders & officials turn up and everything has been made ready by the stadium owners.

If its very expensive for track preparation, then the fact that the speedway team do it all themselves (when that was not originally the case)should qualify for a reduction in the original terms agreed, surely ?

To be fair to Dave mate I beleive he is referring to all the work on the track that he has to do as a result of having speedway at all. There is a reasonable amount of work done by him and his team that would be avoided if they didnt have speedway there at all. As to the cost related to that obviously I dont know.

we have all been let down by one person and only one person lets no forget that

still no money for the riders. no information about contracts being void or otherwise.what a shambles well if buxton is cancelled thats no surprise.

we have all been let down by one person and only one person lets no forget that

The situation at Mildenhall is very sad but let's also remember that Ray has suffered a terrible loss with the death of Jean. Unless any of us have been in a similar position I don't think one could understand how traumatic things have been for him.

I've no intention of commenting on the whys and wherefores of what's going on, as - even though I have a modest position within the club - frankly I have no knowledge of them; and of course I understand fully the frustrations and concerns of personnel who (as I understand is the case..) are awaiting payment, but I do feel that remarks like this about Ray show a degree of personal insensitivity.

I know Ray (only a little bit) but well enough to know how crushing the blow of the loss of Jean was and I do hope people keep that in mind when commenting on here..

yes thats all very well but we all have our crosses to bear and i for one have been through tradegy and know its hard. however life goes on and its a bitch sometimes but to keep using this excuse over and over im afraid dont wash anymore. sorry.we havent been paid and other people have. people must have paid money to watch speedway at the last 3 meetings so why cant we have some of it for our wages? now everybody call me every name under the sun.past caring now

So another meeting cancelled! I now fear the worst, so no one profits, mr mascall receives no money as no sale and mr Coventry receives no rent or bar takings or food takings for the life of me can't see who benefits here. I also fear that if the people in charge think that it will only be closed for the rest of this season they are deluded, fans will go elsewhere and may not come back and as for supporting mr Coventry with his noise problem there will be NO letter from me. And finally however very sad it is to lose a loved one mr mascall states he brought mildenhall for Jean, how would she be feeling now mr mascall.

And finally however very sad it is to lose a loved one mr mascall states he brought mildenhall for Jean, how would she be feeling now mr mascall.

Whilst the loss of Jean must be taken into consideration in Ray's part in this, I don't feel that is a fair comment. Anyone who has just lost a loved one will be grieving enough, and probably feeling guilty for completely nonsensical reasons because they're feeling helpless. Comment's like that do not help anything, and I feel that's very harsh. I cannot find the correct word's to describe, but I think you get the gist of what I'm trying to say. Essentially, I would term that a low blow.

I would at least like to see motor sport continue at Mildenhall Stadium as otherwise Speedway will definately be lost forever so please continue to write support letters for the owners. It is also tough to ask someone who has just lost their wife to think about the business of running speedway as it does involve a lot of hard work and money, no one can really understand the impact of losing their soulmate unless it has happened to them.

Having said all of that it is such a shame for Mildenhall to be closed due to not being able to find an agreement. Ray will be seriously out of pocket as the BSPA will chase for all of the debts to be cleared and presuming he has a bond that will be lost and nothing will be received for any sale as there will be nothing to sell. I also know that for a PL / EL promoter not fulfilling fixtures comes at the cost of a large fine, presumably something similar will be levied in the National League ? Presumably Ray is going to end up seriously out of pocket possibly at a level higher than the cost of continuing for a couple more meetings and seeing through the sale.

With regards to Dave Coventry, yes he will lose the bar & food takings and the rent but at the same time will save on staff costs, electricity, food and drink purchase costs as well as potentially saving some rates if the stadium is used less. Whether or not that would overall constitute a large loss for him is hard to say.

You feel it's low blow, maybe when your young it may seem like it but when you get older you will understand life is hard and sad and people deal with grief differently,

it is not meant to be offensive but I'm just reiterating what mr mascall has said himself about his situation, also if you believe what you yourself have said surely he is too distraught to make rational decisions and therfore a good idea would to let mr Adams

take control for the remainder of the season and then see how he feels but sadly I think it's only a money issue and all else is a smoke screen

You feel it's low blow, maybe when your young it may seem like it but when you get older you will understand life is hard and sad and people deal with grief differently,

it is not meant to be offensive but I'm just reiterating what mr mascall has said himself about his situation, also if you believe what you yourself have said surely he is too distraught to make rational decisions and therfore a good idea would to let mr Adams

take control for the remainder of the season and then see how he feels but sadly I think it's only a money issue and all else is a smoke screen

Being young does not mean I do not understand grief. Yes, people deal with grief differently, and yes, life is hard, few people exist in the world as it is today that are naive enough to believe otherwise.

Not knowing Ray Mascall personally, I couldn't say how he may be coping and thus have no right to comment as to whether or not he is too distraught to make rational decisions or not. I can, however, understand how he could have lost heart or interest in the sport after his loss. I am not saying it means how things are being dealt with is correct, I'm merely saying I don't think that comment was necessary.

The situation at Mildenhall is very sad but let's also remember that Ray has suffered a terrible loss with the death of Jean. Unless any of us have been in a similar position I don't think one could understand how traumatic things have been for him.

I've no intention of commenting on the whys and wherefores of what's going on, as - even though I have a modest position within the club - frankly I have no knowledge of them; and of course I understand fully the frustrations and concerns of personnel who (as I understand is the case..) are awaiting payment, but I do feel that remarks like this about Ray show a degree of personal insensitivity.

I know Ray (only a little bit) but well enough to know how crushing the blow of the loss of Jean was and I do hope people keep that in mind when commenting on here..

i do understand that ray has suffered a great loss but the way he has ended his time with mildenhall speedway is a total disgrace . i just wish the truth could be posted on here

Edited by gaylestew

i do understand that ray has suffered a great loss but the way he has ended his time with mildenhall speedway is a total disgrace . i just wish the truth could be posted on here

the thing is Gaylestew if you know the truth now is the time to post it on here, in the past in speedway too many things have gone unsaid and hidden from the fans and its about time it stopped, people will say you should spare peoples feelings but the truth cant hurt you if you are in the right.

I for one would tell all if i could be sure they were facts and not rumors this is business not personal and people need to remember that.

the thing is Gaylestew if you know the truth now is the time to post it on here, in the past in speedway too many things have gone unsaid and hidden from the fans and its about time it stopped, people will say you should spare peoples feelings but the truth cant hurt you if you are in the right.

I for one would tell all if i could be sure they were facts and not rumors this is business not personal and people need to remember that.

what i was saying fentigers79 was i wish someone would post the truth here instead of us waiting day after day for the odd press release which by the time its printed its old new in mildenhall

To be fair to Dave mate I beleive he is referring to all the work on the track that he has to do as a result of having speedway at all. There is a reasonable amount of work done by him and his team that would be avoided if they didnt have speedway there at all. As to the cost related to that obviously I dont know.

I think you might be right but that's not how I read it or how anyone else would read it.

Having said all of that it is such a shame for Mildenhall to be closed due to not being able to find an agreement. Ray will be seriously out of pocket as the BSPA will chase for all of the debts to be cleared and presuming he has a bond that will be lost and nothing will be received for any sale as there will be nothing to sell. I also know that for a PL / EL promoter not fulfilling fixtures comes at the cost of a large fine, presumably something similar will be levied in the National League ? Presumably Ray is going to end up seriously out of pocket possibly at a level higher than the cost of continuing for a couple more meetings and seeing through the sale.

With regards to Dave Coventry, yes he will lose the bar & food takings and the rent but at the same time will save on staff costs, electricity, food and drink purchase costs as well as potentially saving some rates if the stadium is used less. Whether or not that would overall constitute a large loss for him is hard to say.

That's the bit I don't get. :blink:

It seems to me that Ray can accept a lower offer and get some money or get nothing and face the debts.

If the rent is £1,300 if you add on bar & food takings I think Dave Coventry will lose around £600-£700 per meeting. If he was a little less intransigent on the rent side (as far as I am aware Ray is paying a fair bit more than you did)things could have moved on.

It does seem to me that with a little more flexibility this could have been resolved.

I think Jean was the motivating force behind the speedway and without her Ray does not have the will or the motivation to go on. Frankly, I would be surprised if anyone cannot understand that.

However, at a time at which we should be showing understanding and sympathy for him if the riders haven't been paid that leaves a very nasty taste in the mouth, because it seems like he is prepared to pocket the gate takings and then not adhere to the contracts that he signed at the start of the season. Simon Barton, whatever his financial difficulties, never did that and I can appreciate why some might feel bitter and angry.