British Speedway Forum
fentigers79

Mildenhall Speedway

I'm only guessing, but with the guys personal circumstances perhaps he took his eye off the ball and the purse strings. Businesses can make you a lot of cash, but they can also eat a lot of cash, sometimes beyond peoples personal means. I think it's best to look forward now, what has happened has happened. I wish every rider and fan of Mildenhall the very best for the future.

I think it was more a matter of motivation and, to be fair to Ray, which of us can say for certain that in such circumstances we would not have done so ?

IT is openly known that Mr Mascall was offered substantial financial help at the beginning of this season from a group of supporters which he allegedly refused stating he didnot need any help.Where I differ from Halifaxtiger I cannot see where the promoter was losing money hand over fist and like the Villageidiot find the amount of debt as stated by Mr Mascall difficult to understand as the last four meetings were home meetings.Must not forget every heat was sponsored plus a team sponsor and other sponsorship.

As far as I am aware, he didn't turn financial help so much as turn down help getting additional finance. That was, unquestionably, a mistake although whether it would have saved the club is anyones guess.

I can only go on what Ray has said in that gates of 500 last season dropped to 300. On the limited evidence of my own eyes I didn't think it was that bad but I do know several regular supporters who stopped coming. If you build a team based upon gates of 500 and you get 300, that's a loss of £2,000 a week or so and if you are on limited funds anyway you will soon be in trouble.

another thing thats puzzling is why r mascall still has a licence to sell?surely if the buisness has failed as it clearly has then shouldnt that licence have been confiscated or taken away from him by the bspa ?

I think that is the case (or something pretty similar) and its the one perplexing thing. I thought Dave Coventry was trying it on offering half what the others did but it seemed to me to be a case of £5,000 or nothing; I am not certain why Ray didn't take that.

Much easier said than done of course - when your son has travelled, and ridden for (risking life and limb in doing so) the Club, justifiably expecting to be paid accordingly for doing so. Not just once either! - it's hard enough for these boys financially anyway without this kind of issue.

I think Paul's complaints regarding non-payment are fully justifiable. As I have said above, I don't blame Ray for closing the track given the circumstances he has stated but breaking contracts is a little hard to take. The previous promotion was losing monry hand over fist but I am unaware of any rider complaining about not being paid.

Please please village idiot take a chill pill and get over it

Mod Note - please do not post other members names, if people chose to use a pseudonym their anonymity should be respected

have you got some pills then? cant say ive ever tried chill pills. like i said before if you havent been directly affected like we have finacially with the investment in good equipment and the running around and then not getting paid and to top it all no apology from ray mascall directly to the riders then as far as your comments go youre talking out of youre a.rse. thankyou and good night

have you got some pills then? cant say ive ever tried chill pills. like i said before if you havent been directly affected like we have finacially with the investment in good equipment and the running around and then not getting paid and to top it all no apology from ray mascall directly to the riders then as far as your comments go youre talking out of youre a.rse. thankyou and good night

If your son erned £10 per point the bspa will pay you from the bond but if you took the piss and where on £11.00 per point you must be owed at least a tenner

Mod note:- personal abuse removed

If your son erned £10 per point the bspa will pay you from the bond but if you took the piss and where on £11.00 per point you must be owed at least a tenner

On the contrary - I can see several clubs wanting to sign Oliver. He's a very talented young man with a potentially bright future in the sport (especially if he can sort his gating out :o:D )In addition, I can say both he and his dad have been a pleasure to deal with.

There's no way I would have sponsored him (and, touch wood, will continue to do so)if the above were not true.

My dealings with Paul & Oliver (and Adam and Paul Kirby) have made me fully aware of the financial commitment that parents make to young riders (and I have no doubt that they are not alone)and, believe me, its huge. The loss of any earnings and/or a team place is no laughing matter and if Paul is angry about what has happened its scarcely surprising.

On the contrary - I can see several clubs wanting to sign Oliver. He's a very talented young man with a potentially bright future in the sport....

I agree and surely with the way certain teams are changing line-ups and with riders falling by the wayside, isn't it at all possible that a team in the NL may yet come in for Oli for the remainder of this season..? :unsure:

Or are you implying Paul, that due to the lost money (or which I agree you've every right to be extremely aggrieved about... :cry: )competing in league Speedway again this year for Oli won't be possible..?? :unsure::unsure:

Please please village idiot take a chill pill and get over it

Mod Note - please do not post other members names, if people chose to use a pseudonym their anonymity should be respected

I would like to point out the Villageidiot is only standing up for his young son like any father would do,when you are an ordinary working person (not a millionaire )and have put thousands of pounds of your hard earnt money into equipment for your son who has not found work since leaving school you can understand why he is upset.

The Villageidiot is one of the nicest gentlemen you could meet and having known his son through grasstrack since he was a youngster,I believe some of the comments are not called for

i dont know who you are but you know who i am so feel free to come and see me at either ipswich or lynn and introduce yourself.

I agree and surely with the way certain teams are changing line-ups and with riders falling by the wayside, isn't it at all possible that a team in the NL may yet come in for Oli for the remainder of this season..? :unsure:

Or are you implying Paul, that due to the lost money (or which I agree you've every right to be extremely aggrieved about... :cry: )competing in league Speedway again this year for Oli won't be possible..?? :unsure::unsure:

oliver will be doing second halves at ipswich when possible and lynn .still got the bikes so may as well use them. were booked in for some grasstracks on the old honda at ledbury aug.30. and frittenden 5sep. also high easter 25. so really looking forward to them.thanks for asking

oliver will be doing second halves at ipswich when possible and lynn .still got the bikes so may as well use them. were booked in for some grasstracks on the old honda at ledbury aug.30. and frittenden 5sep. also high easter 25. so really looking forward to them.thanks for asking

That's good news...

You probably won't remember but I first met the two of you when I was announcer at Sittingbourne and you turned up and got Oli a last-minute place in a meeting there. A meeting Oli came VERY close to winning..

I've followed his career with interest since and it's been great to see how well he's progressed at Mildenhall these past two seasons (well season and a half is more accurate I guess..)

I can certainly confirm that you were an absolute gentleman then and as a father myself of three teens/early 20s I too would be VERY angry if one of mine had been treated like Oliver has been...

Olly was going pretty well on that old Honda at the Southend Doughnut meeting. Actually I'm glad he missed the gate 'cos it was great watching him go through the field!

Olly is a good young rider, and I really hope he gets a team place somewhere soon.

I think Paul's complaints regarding non-payment are fully justifiable. As I have said above, I don't blame Ray for closing the track given the circumstances he has stated but breaking contracts is a little hard to take. The previous promotion was losing monry hand over fist but I am unaware of any rider complaining about not being paid.

They certainly are justifible!!! and hopefully Ollie will receive what he is owed, no wonder his Dad is angry, any parent would be.

I really feel for young Ollie, hopefully he can find another teamplace soon and get his speedway career moving again. He certainly is a rider of considerable talent.

Edited by PhilK

it would be nice idea,i dont think the world of speedway lends itself to any youngsters, my lad rides ,hes young got some raw talent not my words though, but struggles to find at times a track to ride.I dont know but maybe mildenhall missed an opening there,rye house and scunny seem to be on the bandwagon doing a good job as well. I too find some peoples comments a bit of a put off from the sport, the financial costs are terrible at the moment, we really would like a jawa 250 but just cant afford one at the moment,so for riders who dont get paid it must be a double whammy and can see villageidiot point of view and i have every sympathy with him, after all its very hard watching your kids put there neck on the line for entertainment.Maybe theres a way to run but the crowds are so poor and really although i have to say it myself its just not value for money at the turnstiles anymore and far to expensive for the parents of young riders so you just cant win