British Speedway Forum
apollo9

Scottish Speedway Museum

While you are at B&Q I suggest you purchase a spade so that you can dig yourself out of the hole you appear to be in.

"A spade to dig yourself "out" of the hole you appear to be in" ... interesting :D

I see the BBC are going to cover all Scotland away games in the Euro qualifiers .... I was looking for the schedule the other day but could not find them ... then I realised I was looking under sport when I should be looking under comedy :lol:

You really should be on the stage.....

Cleaning it :rolleyes:

Obviously he is daft as a 'brush' ML. :rolleyes:

LOL!! How's the holiday?

Holiday? been working my butt off over here, painting and things!

"A spade to dig yourself "out" of the hole you appear to be in" ... interesting :D

I see the BBC are going to cover all Scotland away games in the Euro qualifiers .... I was looking for the schedule the other day but could not find them ... then I realised I was looking under sport when I should be looking under comedy :lol:

Ah I see, your spade is broken so change the subject? OK then, quiz time - who are the only home nation to QUALIFY for 5 World Cups in a row?

Q2 - When did England last beat France home and away in competitive games? ;)

First prize - a day out at the Scottish Speedway Museum, 2nd prize - a house in Wolverhampton ;)

Post edited cos I looked at your profile and saw your profession!!! I didn't mean any of the above - honest!!! lol

Edited by DavyH

Na just joking about the phone box ... we all know its a B&Q 6'x4' shed with apex roof really ;):D

I think it's a bit more substantial than that. Ian Patterson is a Concrete Contractor ;)

Apparently its in a old red phone box on the side of the road and shares with the "Scottish Football World Cup Highlights" museum :D

If you’ve heard of riders like Ken Le Breton, Norrie Isbister, and Les Collins; bikes like Rudge, Douglas, Weslake and Godden; venues like White City, Marine Gardens and High Beech, then a visit to the speedway museum is a must!

With over 100 speedway machines from the 1920s right up to this century, there’s something to catch your eye no matter how many visits you make to an unassuming industrial estate in deepest Midlothian. Ian Paterson, who runs the museum, began over 20 years ago with a handful of old bikes but the collection has grown in size to become the best array of speedway memorabilia in one place in the whole world. The visitors book boasts the signatures of World Champions Ivan Mauger, Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs and they all couldn’t speak highly enough of the place!

From the helmet Ivan wore on his farewell tour of the UK in 1985, Willie Templeton’s last set of leathers to Gary Havelock’s first set; more race jackets than you can count; Hans Nielsen represented in wheelie mode, pre-war equipment including such rare machinery that there are only one or two examples still in existence, reminders of long-gone venues like Bothwell and Hamilton, right up to a pristine lay-down Jawa that’s never turned a wheel in the heat of a match, there really is something for everyone.

Apparently its in a old red phone box on the side of the road and shares with the "Scottish Football World Cup Highlights" museum :D

Ironic that 'Sudden Sam' is an anagram for 'Maddens Us' :lol:

Really looking forward to the visit on Sunday :approve:

Edited by BongoBrian

Ironic that 'Sudden Sam' is an anagram for 'Maddens Us' :lol:

Really looking forward to the visit on Sunday :approve:

[/quoT

If you have not visited it before you will be truely amazed at the work and effort put into this museum.

If you have not visited it before you will be truely amazed at the work and effort put into this museum.

It was absolutely amazing, I said to Ian Patterson exactly that about the work that has gone into it. What a decent bloke Ian is also. I would say that it is an absolute must do for any speedway fan. The bikes were incredible and despite some of their age, they all look like they have just come straight out of the showroom. Fantastic stuff and also there is just bags of information on the exhibits. You really cannot get through everything in a couple of hour visit... You could literally spend weeks in there talking to Ian and going through the stories behind each of the bikes and other memorabilia.

A big thanks to Ian for the opportunity to see the fruits of his labour of love of Speedway. :wink:

It was absolutely amazing, I said to Ian Patterson exactly that about the work that has gone into it. What a decent bloke Ian is also. I would say that it is an absolute must do for any speedway fan. The bikes were incredible and despite some of their age, they all look like they have just come straight out of the showroom. Fantastic stuff and also there is just bags of information on the exhibits. You really cannot get through everything in a couple of hour visit... You could literally spend weeks in there talking to Ian and going through the stories behind each of the bikes and other memorabilia.

A big thanks to Ian for the opportunity to see the fruits of his labour of love of Speedway. :wink:

It's Speedway Heaven!! Glad you enjoyed it Brian. Will pass your comments on to Ian.

B)

Ian Patterson will be opening the Speedway museum on the 26th Feb and 24th April. The opening times will be 10am - 3pm. A worthwhile time to see the "From Cinders To Shale" collection.

A pity no one replied to you Miss Tigs, but having visited yesterday before heading to Ashfield for the Tigers victory over that Embra mob, I can thoroughly recommend a trip to the museum, it's fantastic! Remaining scheduled openings this year are on September 5th and October 31st.

Doesn't the owner prefer this to be known as a 'collection' rather than a museum?

Doesn't the owner prefer this to be known as a 'collection' rather than a museum?

He may well do but what is a museum - a collection of items, more than likely, in a building where objects of historical interest are exhibited and preserved.

Why not get your passport out speedyguy and cross the border and see what is on offer!!

Edited by edmon

In case anyone is interested, former Bandit Ian Paterson's Speedway Museum is open this Saturday (Feb 26th) from 10am until 4pm - longer than usual -- and the only Saturday of the year it'll be open.