British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
LordoftheShale

Leicester Lions At Perry Barr In 1980

YouTube clip of the Leicester Lions visit against the Birmingham Brummies from 1980

Can you name any of the riders for both teams?

Nielsen and Bastable for Brum

Must be 1981 as Hans Nielsen was still at Wolves in 1980, his final year for the club.

I remember that back wheel spoiler with the big yellow flower on ..... but cant remember who had it

Think the tape must be speeded up a bit as the 4 lap race lasts just 40+ seconds !!

Edited by T.N.T.

Must be 1981 as Hans Nielsen was still at Wolves in 1980, his final year for the club.

I remember that back wheel spoiler with the big yellow flower on ..... but cant remember who had it

Think the tape must be speeded up a bit as the 4 lap race lasts just 40+ seconds !!

Think the flower on the spoiler belonged to Andy Grahame

Think the flower on the spoiler belonged to Andy Grahame

Think you are right

Think you are right

It was indeed Andy 'Flower Power' Grahame, who was sponsored by Florentine Florists in Milton Keynes when on loan to M.K. in 1978 & 79.

John Titman & John Boulger for the Leicester Lions - can't say the specific heats as there is no annotation on the clip (but I recognise their leathers!). Although a Hackney supporter, I always had a soft spot for Leicester as it was the first away meeting I got taken to as a boy in the 70's. John Titman was a very underrated rider actually, and I was delighted when he became a 'Hawk' in '82.

The great news is that Leicester will be returning to Speedway next March after a long absence. The old Blackbird Road track was a great racing circuit and it's fantastic news that having been in the wilderness since 1983, the Lions will once again be ready to roar come tapes up next March.

Hard to see clearly but I think that's Les Collins in yellow/black in gate 2. I definitely recognise the pattern on the legs of his leathers. John Boulger left us at the end of an unsuccessful 1979 season and this clip is definitely 1980 with the Martin Rogers inspired red/yellow football jerseys the Lions riders wore.

Look forward to seeing you at Beaumont Park next season - especially against the Brummies!

Steve - LSSC