British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
STEVE5705

Greatest Come Back Of All Time

im sure it was when hackney finshed runners up to cheque book reading racers, i think hackney got four 5-1s and a 3-3 in the last 5 races,think this is correct, can anybody remember this ? and has anybody got the scorers for that match thanks

I remember the Aces coming back from about 14 points down to win at the Shay, many moons ago, but not the one you mention. Pretty sure the score was 15-3 after 3 heats then about 22-8 after 5. As I recall we ended up winning quite comfortably!

Poole made a late recovery from a bad position in a KOC final at Coventry a few years ago. I'll have to dig out my programme to check but I do recall that Coventry also helped by gifting some silly points in heat 14!

Oxford beat the Wimbledon Wombles at Plough Lane in 1984. They needed 5-1s from the final three races and got them. And later in the same season, Oxford repeated that feat at King's Lynn, which caused Martin Rogers to throw his toys out of the pram and prevent the Cheetahs having a victory parade.

But as far as I know, the biggest ever comeback was Arena Essex at Exeter who came from 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN) points behind to win at Exeter. I think it came during Arena's all conquering 1991 season.

All the best

Rob

im sure it was when hackney finshed runners up to cheque book reading racers, i think hackney got four 5-1s and a 3-3 in the last 5 races,think this is correct, can anybody remember this ? and has anybody got the scorers for that match thanks

The match in question was Halifax v Hackney in 1980. Score after Heat 8: 31-16. Four successive 5-1s to Hackney transformed the scoreline to 35-36 and then the final heat was shared, final score 38-39. There's a report in "Speedway's Classic Meetings" book. I'll post the scorers this evening if someone else hasn't beaten me to it.

All the best

Rob

Hmm, you WOULD remember that!!! Don't suppose a young Ronnie Allen was the ref was he..?! :rolleyes:

Oh NOT again with the "we wuz robbed!" stance please Parsnips old fruit! :rolleyes:

Oxford beat the Wimbledon Wombles at Plough Lane in 1984. They needed 5-1s from the final three races and got them. And later in the same season, Oxford repeated that feat at King's Lynn, which caused Martin Rogers to throw his toys out of the pram and prevent the Cheetahs having a victory parade.

But as far as I know, the biggest ever comeback was Arena Essex at Exeter who came from 18 (yes, EIGHTEEN) points behind to win at Exeter. I think it came during Arena's all conquering 1991 season.

All the best

Rob

hi rob, you beat me to it. i was at that meeting at the county ground in 1991. i'm sure the hammers got a 5-1 in the last race to complete a remarkable comeback.

Good knowledge! I was there too. Arena were head and shoulders above everyone that year...think they had Bo Petersen and Brian Karger as their spearhead, both were essentially top league riders. So it was surprising that the Falcons stormed into such a big lead. But the turnaround was still shocking. They just suddenly turned it on.

To answer the original question on this thread:

August 9, 1980

Halifax 38:

Kenny Carter 9 (5)

Tormod Langli R/R

Ian Cartwright 5+2 (5)

Mick McKeon 6+1 (4)

Merv Janke 4 (4)

Piotr Pysny 12+1 (5)

Craig Pendlebury 2+1 (3)

Hackney 39:

Finn Thomsen 11 (5)

Barry Thomas 0 (2)

Bo Petersen 8+2 (5)

Sean Wilmott 0 (2)

Zenon Plech 14+1 (5)

Roman Jankowsi 6+2 (5)

Keith White 0 (2)

Progressive scores

31-16 >>>> 35-36 > 38-39

Edited by lucifer sam

To answer the original question on this thread:

August 9, 1980

Halifax 38:

Kenny Carter 9 (5)

Tormod Langli R/R

Ian Cartwright 5+2 (5)

Mick McKeon 6+1 (4)

Merv Janke 4 (4)

Piotr Pysny 12+1 (5)

Craig Pendlebury 2+1 (3)

Hackney 39:

Finn Thomsen 11 (5)

Barry Thomas 0 (2)

Bo Petersen 8+2 (5)

Sean Wilmott 0 (2)

Zenon Plech 14+1 (5)

Roman Jankowsi 6+2 (5)

Keith White 0 (2)

Progressive scores

31-16 >>>> 35-36 > 38-39

I was at this one, a fantastic match won by the 4 man Hawks, Plech was unstoppable. The match was most memorable, however, for the amazing team riding display by Bo Petersen, the Hawks suddenly started gating like lightening half way through then Bo made sure no-one was passing.

All the best

Rob

I was at that match at Plough Lane. Early season League Cup match. Rooted out the programme which shows that Wimbledon were 8 points ahead with 3 races to go and indeed the Cheetahs got 3 consecutive 5-1's to clinch a 37-41 victory.

For Oxford Taylor, Wigg and Rasmussen all got paid wins in their last outings and they were their only ones of the night.

Gordon Kennett only got 1 point from 4 rides and John Davis was last in Heats 11 and 13 for the Dons.

Ref was Reg Trott.

Next night Wimbledon won at Oxford.