British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Ronnie Genz Interview

Have just had an entertaining and enjoyable few hours in the company of 80-year-old Ronnie Genz, who is the subject of a big interview in the next issue of Classic Speedway (Issue 10).

Ronnie recalled some great stories from his days with New Cross (as a junior), Yarmouth, Oxford (two spells), Poole and Newport, which I'm sure readers will enjoy.

He is very candid but, at the same time, humble. Here's a very tiny taster of what he has to say...

"When I started, they thought I was going to be the next Ronnie Moore, but it didn't work out that way. I could ride the bike, but staying on it was a problem!"

"I wasn't dedicated enough. A good team man, but I did nothing as an individual."

"I got picked to ride for England, but not because I was any good. They chose me because I was doing OK for my team in the league and they wanted local riders in the meeting."

"I used to cheat like buggery at the start!"

"When I rode at Exeter on the Monday and St. Austell on the Tuesday, I'd sleep overnight in my Morris 1000 van and prepare my bike for the second meeting on the beach in Cornwall."

"I had a woman (sponsor) who used to buy me gifts. She bought me a brand new ESO engine once and then a new BMW car for £3,000!"

Ronnie has some strong things to say about speedway in his era compared to today, and much else besides, including that night in 1964 when he rode for Exeter under the assumed name of 'Reg Neal'...and got fined by the SCB.

So make sure you don't miss your copy.

I wondered if YOU have any interesting stories or special memories about Ron to share with the forum?

Edited by tmc

Should be a fascinating read..first watched him at Caister Road when he was at Yarmouth. I believe that he married the daughter of Alfie Weedon..not 100% sure of this.

Might be an idea to have a long interview with Alf..who must have a fund of great stories.

Should be a fascinating read..first watched him at Caister Road when he was at Yarmouth. I believe that he married the daughter of Alfie Weedon..not 100% sure of this.

Might be an idea to have a long interview with Alf..who must have a fund of great stories.

Yes, Ronnie married Jackie Weedon in 1968.

Like Ronnie, Alf is also interviewed in this next issue, to mark his recent 90th birthday.

Yes, Ronnie married Jackie Weedon in 1968.

Like Ronnie, Alf is also interviewed in this next issue, to mark his recent 90th birthday.

Tony Mac..you are so perceptive..and aware of the Nations Literary taste.....May we assume the next step is the mangement of the 'Ammers ???

Looking forward to reading the Ronnie Genz interview. His final year at Oxford was two years before I was born, so I never saw him in action.

But he was one of top men at Oxford for almost two decades, spending 11 years at Cowley between 1954 & 1964, and then having a further spell at Oxford between 1968 & 1971 (although he missed either the whole of the 1969 or 1970 season through injury - can't remember off the top of my head which one it was). His 14 years riding for Oxford is a club record, no other rider rode for the Cheetahs for more seasons. For most of those years, Oxford didn't have much success, although Ronnie was part of the treble-winning side of 1964, and he also figured in an Oxford side that nearly upset the all-conquering Wimbledon Dons in 1960, when the Cheetahs led the league table for most of the season.

It seems, these days, that it's very rare for a rider to stay to spend that amount of time at one club.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Looking forward to reading the Ronnie Genz interview. His final year at Oxford was two years before I was born, so I never saw him in action.

But he was one of top men at Oxford for almost two decades, spending 11 years at Cowley between 1954 & 1964, and then having a further spell at Oxford between 1968 & 1971 (although he missed either the whole of the 1969 or 1970 season through injury - can't remember off the top of my head which one it was).

Ron missed the whole of the 1969 season after suffering severe concussion in a crash with Lars Jansson at Cradley on Aug 31, 1968, which required a long recovery period. He was still experiencing dizzy spells long after that crash, but came back well in 1970.

I am looking forward to the Ronnie Genz article. As a young boy I kept a scrapbook for the 1959 season and looking through that brought back the memory of the night when Ronnie beat Ove Fundin round Cowley. 'Genz beats the World Champion' was the headline although Barry Briggs was the champion at the time. 'After becoming the first Oxford rider to beat Ove Fundin, the former world champion, at Cowley for a number of years, Ronnie Genz was tossed in the air by his jubilant team-mates at Oxford Stadium last night.' Those were the halcyon days of the blue race jacket with yellow sash worn on black shiny leathers. In his fifth season at Oxford after leaving Great Yarmouth in 1954 Ronnie vied for the number 1 spot with Oxford's first 'Great Dane', Arne Pander. I've still got my post card size photos of the riders from that time including a few of Ronnie. Happy days!

I am looking forward to the Ronnie Genz article. As a young boy I kept a scrapbook for the 1959 season and looking through that brought back the memory of the night when Ronnie beat Ove Fundin round Cowley. 'Genz beats the World Champion' was the headline although Barry Briggs was the champion at the time. 'After becoming the first Oxford rider to beat Ove Fundin, the former world champion, at Cowley for a number of years, Ronnie Genz was tossed in the air by his jubilant team-mates at Oxford Stadium last night.'

In our interview, Ronnie recalls beating Ove Fundin at Norwich, which he says greatly upset the Swede.

Hope you enjoy the feature and after you've read it, please let us know what you think.

Edited by tmc