British Speedway Forum

I was wondering if there were any speedway tracks in the Ukraine as I worked there briefly last year - in Kiev and Donetsk - but didn't have much time to follow up sport? Donetsk is a sports-mad city and with the Ukraine lying between Poland and Russia, I would be surprised if speedway had passed it by completely. Donetsk, in particular, is a mining region - the city itself was founded by a Welsh mining engineer called John Hughes. It wouldn't surprise me if they also played rugby league there - most of the men look like lock forwards.

I was wondering if there were any speedway tracks in the Ukraine as I worked there briefly last year - in Kiev and Donetsk - but didn't have much time to follow up sport?

Lvov, Rovno and Chervonograd have all held EM championship meetings this season.

Well there are 3 active tracks in the Ukraine; Chervonohrad, Rivne, Lviv. All in the west of the Ukraine. Rivne is the closest track to Kiev, approx 300km west from Kiev.

Fascinating - and good to see the different spellings in Ukrainian and Russian - a big issue in Ucrania.

So, have there ever been any famous Ukrainian riders - are there any at the level of the Ekstraliga or Elite league for example? Any possibility of an SGP grand prix in Ukraine soon?

Probably the best Ukrainian rider is Andrej Karpov at the moment. Racing in the Polish 1st Division, the Swedish Alsvenskan League and the Danish Speedway League (correct me if I'm wrong).

...So, have there ever been any famous Ukrainian riders...

Igor Marko (Rovno)

– European champion among juniors in the individual competition (1986).

Viktor Trofimov (Rovno)

– 4-time silver medalist Team of World Championships (1966, 1971, 1972, 1975);

– three-time bronze medalist of the World Team Championship (1967, 1969, 1973);

– played twice in the finals of the Individual World Championships (1972 – 9-th, 1975 – 8-th).

Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (Rovno)

– Three-time silver medalist Team of World Championships (1971, 1972, 1975);

– bronze medalist of the World Team Championship (1974);

– in the final Individual World Championship in 1973 took 5-th place.

To be continued

Edited by Gorka

Igor Marko (Rovno)

– European champion among juniors in the individual competition (1986).

Viktor Trofimov (Rovno)

– 5-time silver medalist Team of World Championships (1964, 1966, 1971, 1972, 1975);

– three-time bronze medalist of the World Team Championship (1967, 1969, 1973);

– played twice in the finals of the Individual World Championships (1972 – 9-th, 1975 – 8-th).

Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (Rovno)

– Three-time silver medalist Team of World Championships (1971, 1972, 1975);

– bronze medalist of the World Team Championship (1974);

– in the final Individual World Championship in 1973 took 5-th place.

To be continued…

If I remember correctly Khlynovskiy caused uproar in the World Final at Chorzow in 1973 when he clashed with the darling of the Polish crowd, Zenon Plech, effectively robbing Plech of the title. The disapproval of the crowd was, to say the least, pretty loud!

If I remember correctly Khlynovskiy caused uproar in the World Final at Chorzow in 1973 when he clashed with the darling of the Polish crowd, Zenon Plech, effectively robbing Plech of the title. The disapproval of the crowd was, to say the least, pretty loud!

Heat 19 of final in 1973 entered the history of the speedway world finals. The fall of the Polish rider Zenon Plech on the line after the first bend of the fourth circle, which occurred, according to a German judge's race and all the spectators in the stands, was the reason for changing the result of this launch.

Riders finished as follows:

1. Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (¹ 3, USSR) – 3 points.

2. Peter Collins (¹ 13, England) – 2 points.

3. Valeriy Gordeev (¹ 12, USSR) – 1 point.

4. Zenon Plech (¹ 6, Poland) – fell.

The judge's decision, which did not stop the race after a fall (well, after all the 4-th round was), was unique:

1. Peter Collins (¹ 13, England) – 3 points.

2. Zenon Plech (¹ 6, Poland) – 2 points.

3. Valery Gordeev (¹ 12, USSR) – 1 point.

4. Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (¹ 3, USSR) – excluded.

Heat 19 of final in 1973 entered the history of the speedway world finals. The fall of the Polish rider Zenon Plech on the line after the first bend of the fourth circle, which occurred, according to a German judge's race and all the spectators in the stands, was the reason for changing the result of this launch.

Riders finished as follows:

1. Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (¹ 3, USSR) – 3 points.

2. Peter Collins (¹ 13, England) – 2 points.

3. Valeriy Gordeev (¹ 12, USSR) – 1 point.

4. Zenon Plech (¹ 6, Poland) – fell.

The judge's decision, which did not stop the race after a fall (well, after all the 4-th round was), was unique:

1. Peter Collins (¹ 13, England) – 3 points.

2. Zenon Plech (¹ 6, Poland) – 2 points.

3. Valery Gordeev (¹ 12, USSR) – 1 point.

4. Grigoriy Khlynovskiy (¹ 3, USSR) – excluded.

I can remember being in that massive crowd (there were thousands there from the UK) and waiting for the German referee to give a decision. I don't think anybody was happy with the decision he made. The Poles certainly weren't happy and nor was Khlynovskiy. The Poles did get a World Champion but not the one they hoped for or expected.

Viktor Kuznetsov (Rovno, a graduate of the Novosibirsk speedway) – two-time finalist of the Individual World championships (1985 – 15-th, 1986 – 6-th).

Vladimir Trofimov (Rovno, son of Viktor Trofimov) – reserve driver in the final Individual World Championship 1987 (not started).

Vladimir Rozhanchuk (Rovno) – reserve driver in the final Individual World Championship 1977. Because of the absurd decision Motorcycle Federation of USSR was not allowed to travel to the final in Gothenburg on September 2. As a result, the USSR lost the seat back-riders in the final.

@Gorka

I hear there is a problem at Lviv with the avaialbility of the speedway stadium. They did not ride their final home league meeting against Turbina, and have cancelled the final round meeting of the MACEC Cup? What is the problem at Lviv?

@Gorka

...What is the problem at Lviv?

The problem with the speedway in Lviv for many reasons.

Among them:

A small number of spectators coming to watch speedway, more than half of whom come from Rovno and Chervonohrad;

Poor state speedway stadium;

SKA Stadium, where races are held, belongs to the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine, which seems not very interested in the development of the speedway;

Lack of proper drivers, students of Lviv speedway, etc.

Lwow never been speedway city

Everything rests on Sergey Lyatosinsky and his son Aleksandr enthusiasms

Not even helped "golden time", than in SKA Lwow team under the guise of service in Soviet Army had collected practically all best Soviet youth riders

p.s. SKA - Sports Club of Army

Today, 11 November, marks 63 years, one of the strongest riders of the Soviet Union 70's, celebrity coach Rovno „Signal” 80 years (three consecutive club champion of the USSR in 1985-1987), Honored coach of Ukraine Grigoriy Khlynovskiy!

M.Starostyn,_IUryi_Kuzmyn_(nach._otdela_TSAMK),_KHlynovskyi,_Marko._800.jpg

In the photo (left to right): Mikhail Starostin, Yuriy Kuzmin, Grigoriy Khlynovskiy, Igor Marko (just became a champion of Europe). Final individual European Junior Championship. Rovno, July 13, 1986.

Best wishes for a Happy Birthday!

Interview with Vladimir Trofimov and Viktor Trofimov, Jr.:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NW3PANW3

Prospects for speedway in Ukraine;

The longevity of riders in speedway;

The first training of Viktor Trofimov, Jr. on a motorcycle with engine displacement of 500 cc.

Edited by Gorka