British Speedway Forum

With Emil out for the season that is one of the nominations taken care of.

As someone else said BSI have dug themselves a bit of a hole by giving Tai a nomination for this season. I am sure they are hoping he can show something in the last 4 GP's to justify sticking with him for next year. More of the same and you can't really justify giving him a pick even taking into account his youth.

With Emil out for the season that is one of the nominations taken care of.

As someone else said BSI have dug themselves a bit of a hole by giving Tai a nomination for this season. I am sure they are hoping he can show something in the last 4 GP's to justify sticking with him for next year. More of the same and you can't really justify giving him a pick even taking into account his youth.

It's doing more harm than good for Tai, The poor bloke lost his dad and then Wolves made him Captain!! why? then to add just a little more pressure he gets a wild card. Its all been to much to soon, let him enjoy and learn for a few seasons then re-introduce him to the gp's. Carry on like he is and he will be sick of the sport before long.

It's doing more harm than good for Tai, The poor bloke lost his dad and then Wolves made him Captain!! why? then to add just a little more pressure he gets a wild card. Its all been to much to soon, let him enjoy and learn for a few seasons then re-introduce him to the gp's. Carry on like he is and he will be sick of the sport before long.

BSI were rash in introducing Woffinden into the GPs. Whether people like to acknowledge it or not, it had to have been done in the hope, perhaps even expectation, that he'd replicate the impact Sayfutdinov. He hasn't come anywhere close., nor was he ever likely to. Sayfutdinov had tangible achieevements to his name, such as two World Under 21 championship. Woffinden should really have been in Daugavpils yesterday. However, to ditch him after just a single season might also be harmful to his career. It's a difficult situation, caused entirely by BSI and to a lesser extent Sky, who have relentlessly pushed Woffinden.

It's doing more harm than good for Tai, The poor bloke lost his dad and then Wolves made him Captain!! why?

because HE wanted it :rolleyes:

BSI were rash in introducing Woffinden into the GPs. Whether people like to acknowledge it or not, it had to have been done in the hope, perhaps even expectation, that he'd replicate the impact Sayfutdinov. He hasn't come anywhere close., nor was he ever likely to. Sayfutdinov had tangible achieevements to his name, such as two World Under 21 championship. Woffinden should really have been in Daugavpils yesterday. However, to ditch him after just a single season might also be harmful to his career. It's a difficult situation, caused entirely by BSI and to a lesser extent Sky, who have relentlessly pushed Woffinden.

Spot on.

how would it be a case of 'ditching'?

IMG and SKY dont invest into or train up riders.... they promote and televise the world championship

the basic facts are that they offered him a wildcard and he has shown that he isnt ready.... this certainly isnt the first time this has happened and i'm sure it wont be the last......... what has happened only once before though is that someone has been given a wildcard above someone who outscored them and wasnt offered a wildcard.... and it was an embarrassing situation.... I cannot see IMG choosing that route again so quickly

the chances are that just like other riders before him Tai will be disappointed with his championship position and will know he will have to go away... lick his wounds... and work a bit harder to get back in .......

......... what has happened only once before though is that someone has been given a wildcard above someone who outscored them and wasnt offered a wildcard.... and it was an embarrassing situation.... I cannot see IMG choosing that route again so quickly

It has happened on several occasions. Richardson was given a nomination for 2006 ahead of the higher scoring Hans Andersen, for a start, as well as Chris Harris being nominated ahead of Grzegorz Walasek and Sebastian Ulamek for 2010. BSI had little shame in doing so in the past and I can't see them having any shame about doing it in the future.

It has happened on several occasions. Richardson was given a nomination for 2006 ahead of the higher scoring Hans Andersen, for a start, as well as Chris Harris being nominated ahead of Grzegorz Walasek and Sebastian Ulamek for 2010. BSI had little shame in doing so in the past and I can't see them having any shame about doing it in the future.

quite right ... I had forgotten about Walasek and Ulamek from last year.... maybe you are right and they would do it again...... surely Tai would still have to stick in some very impressive performances though?

the wildcard over Andersen was not straight forward as he ended the season with strong criticism of the way the championship was run.... it was certainly seen at the time as a factor in their decision despite it also conveniently favouring the brit quota

quite right ... I had forgotten about Walasek and Ulamek from last year.... maybe you are right and they would do it again...... surely Tai would still have to stick in some very impressive performances though?

the wildcard over Andersen was not straight forward as he ended the season with strong criticism of the way the championship was run.... it was certainly seen at the time as a factor in their decision despite it also conveniently favouring the brit quota

Andersen's strong criticism came after the nominations were announced, as far as I recall, with the suggestion being that his criticisms might affect possible future nominations. That season BSI had seven nominations to play with, as there was no GP challenge. As it transpired, Andersen hardly suffered as he won as a GP "wild card" in Copenhagen and then assumed Rickardsson's place when he retired. Now, however, he's back among the also-rans, needed a nomination for this season and is hardly secure in the top eight.

Looking at the current standings it's all getting very tight in the fight for a top eight place. Hancock's fine showing in Malilla sees him now just a couple of points behind Jonsson in eighth place, with Harris in there as well.

Andersen's strong criticism came after the nominations were announced, as far as I recall, with the suggestion being that his criticisms might affect possible future nominations. That season BSI had seven nominations to play with, as there was no GP challenge. As it transpired, Andersen hardly suffered as he won as a GP "wild card" in Copenhagen and then assumed Rickardsson's place when he retired. Now, however, he's back among the also-rans, needed a nomination for this season and is hardly secure in the top eight.

Looking at the current standings it's all getting very tight in the fight for a top eight place. Hancock's fine showing in Malilla sees him now just a couple of points behind Jonsson in eighth place, with Harris in there as well.

I had a look at the standings earlier, I hadn't realised how close it all was.. :blink:

I doubt that he or Harris need to. Harris got a WC for his season and what impressive performance did he provide last season to earn it?

I am pretty sure that at least 1 Brit will get himself a nomination. no matter if Harris manage to squeeze himself into top 8 (only 4p behind though)or not.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I must admit I dont remember it like that at all and instead I thought it happened before the final GP had even taken place with the revenge coming later with the noms....... although tbh 'er indoors is always calling into question my memory so I wouldnt be suprised if I invented that!

it is tight and anyone involved in that fight who isnt offered a spot will be unlucky indeed

I doubt that he or Harris need to. Harris got a WC for his season and what impressive performance did he provide last season to earn it?

I am pretty sure that at least 1 Brit will get himself a nomination. no matter if Harris manage to squeeze himself into top 8 (only 4p behind though)or not.

yeah it is true Bomber did have a poor season..... the difference to Tai may be though that Bomber is a racer.. and quite a spectacular one......... his poor gating suffered badly under slick Olsen track prep and I think IMG could be forgiven for wanting to include him after making their statement in moving Ole 'upstairs' a year early..... it is just a shame that the playing field wasnt level for Seb and Greg in the process

What a load of BS.

Look at the last 13 GPs - Gollob has made 9 finals and would have been 10 if he had not had the EF at Cardiff. So looking at the 3 Grand Prix that he has not made the finals can you tell me the tracks? Well.....2 in Poland for a start so that rams your logic behind home advantage! Bydgoszcz 09, Leszno 10 and Vojens 09 are the in addition to Cardiff 10 that he did not make the final in.

I'm sure if you rewatch these 13 GPs you will probably count 40+ overtakes from Gollob, he got one wrong last night - it's done and dusted he was excluded, time to move on....nothing to see here!

Eerr I think you've got the wrong end of the stick,I wasn't after Gollob's stats,or Hampel's or Holta,you clearly have more badges on your anorak and more Lech scarves and badly fitting caps than me

Gollob is a one off but look at how Polish Speedway has come on since the SGP series began,money seems to talk a whole lot,maybe more so between the BSI and some Polish clubs,maybe we'll see a Polish wildcard next year? I'm willing to bet the whole world cup will be held there sooner or later if they decide to start to run it that way,they are guaranteed to get it first anyway,aaahh take half the GP's as well while you're at it..,

Not a bad GP but Gollob thinks he can do no wrong as he has got away with that type of dangerous riding for far to long now. Turning right on AJ was another occasion when a rider could have got very seriously hurt. He is really getting arrogant about what he can get away with, but if he does become world champion with those sort of tactics, it will not be in the true spirit of the sport.

Rune Holta marked his card in the final, from being leaned on hard in an ealier heat, so no messing and who can blame him? .

Edited by Squire

I think this season could help Woffinden, he is only 20 after all so maybe if he was dropped next year he could take his experiences and know the level he must reach in future.