British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
manchesterpaul

Has Recent Top Class Racing On Sky Increased Attendances?

I'm finding the level of racing on Sky this season one of the best. Personally speaking i know of quite a few people who have recently gone to their first meetings ever after catching a Sky meeting. I'm not just referring to Cardiff and the World Cup although both certainly have had positive effects.

I've not been able to get to my local tracks for a few weeks but looking at recent domestic meetings on Sky there wasn't the expected deserted terraces.

Has anyone noticed an influx (or smattering) of newcomers or are attendances still plummeting?

I'm finding the level of racing on Sky this season one of the best. Personally speaking i know of quite a few people who have recently gone to their first meetings ever after catching a Sky meeting. I'm not just referring to Cardiff and the World Cup although both certainly have had positive effects.

I've not been able to get to my local tracks for a few weeks but looking at recent domestic meetings on Sky there wasn't the expected deserted terraces.

Has anyone noticed an influx (or smattering) of newcomers or are attendances still plummeting?

Newcastle's crowd level has held very well despite the recession. To ofset that, we have had a winning team with our usual new Danes topping the score charts. On Sunday, with Edinburgh, we had a good contingent of Monarchs fans as usual but it was noted by many that we also had some Berwick fans and many people who used to come to Brough. Although the result was wrong for us on the night, many of those fans I would say will be back for our next meeting. Here's hoping. :approve:

Don't know what meetings you've seen on Sky this year, but most have had

pretty poor crowds to be honest.

Wait til the Witches v Robins next Monday... it'll be one man and his dog if

recent Sky meetings from Ipswich have been anything to go by.... Unless the

Ipswich promotion get promoting this week to encourage fans to get down to

Foxhall and I don't just mean the usual kids for a quid/free with paying adult

tokens in the local paper either.

Somerset got it right tonight, super looking crowd, so well done to them.

Don't know what meetings you've seen on Sky this year, but most have had

pretty poor crowds to be honest.

I referred to has the 'recent' racing in particular created an increase. In the two domestic meetings since the World Cup that i've seen on Sky, at both Lakeside and Somerset, the attendance was more than i expected one would see due to the televising of them.

Ipswich would certainly be one of the tracks i fear for when Sky comes calling. Which is why a year or so i started a thread asking if the money received from Sky for a meeting is enough for a promoter to drastically cut admission prices (or free admittance) for that event. It's human nature for people to go and see what all the fuss is about when large crowds are shown. Deserted venues give a very bad impression and make people think that nothing much interesting can be happening there.

The Somerset Glasgow match last night was gripping entertainment. Just shows it's the intensity of the competition that's important - not necessarily the level of quality of the riding. I'd love to see more Premier League matches on Sky - what a boost for the teams involved!

I agree with Andrew666. That meeting last night was pure entertainment right the way through. For some reason the crowd "atmosphere" also came across well. It was just the sort of programme to increase awareness and interest among the casual channel hoppers and if just a percentage of those take in a live match it will be a big bonus.

A weekly (say Wednesday or non GP Saturday) Premier League meeting would I am sure be a popular addition to the Sky schedule. Who knows, they might even then take a look at National League which, for the casual armchair viewer might be the best of the lot. And before anyone takes a pot at me for suggesting that, I am quite aware of the different riding standards of the 3 leagues - the newbie though will far more likely be attracted by entertaining racing and incident than by riding standards.

:)

Dont have sky but quite a few people in Swindonia only watch the Robins on tv and wouldn't pay 16 squid to stand on the terraces at Blunsdon.

Crowd levels have probably dropped by about 500 on last season but that's because they are not top of the table.

I agree with Andrew666. That meeting last night was pure entertainment right the way through. For some reason the crowd "atmosphere" also came across well. It was just the sort of programme to increase awareness and interest among the casual channel hoppers and if just a percentage of those take in a live match it will be a big bonus.

A weekly (say Wednesday or non GP Saturday) Premier League meeting would I am sure be a popular addition to the Sky schedule. Who knows, they might even then take a look at National League which, for the casual armchair viewer might be the best of the lot. And before anyone takes a pot at me for suggesting that, I am quite aware of the different riding standards of the 3 leagues - the newbie though will far more likely be attracted by entertaining racing and incident than by riding standards.

:)

I emailed Sky Sports last night after that brilliant meeting asking for more P.L. and N.L. on Sky .Isuggest more people ask for P.L.too.

I emailed Sky Sports last night after that brilliant meeting asking for more P.L. and N.L. on Sky .Isuggest more people ask for P.L.too.

Do you have the Email address please? I think Elite League on Sky has reduced attendances, who would pay £16 plus cost of a programme, to watch processional racing with the same few teams taking part, when you can watch on TV. Somerset is successful because it's a purpose built speedway track, which unfortunately most tracks are not. Also only £13 to get in, or if you have a season ticket its just under £11 a match, which includes a free programme (worth £2) and 10% of any food purchased. With a superb club house,you can sit down in comfort and have a drink before and after the match, watch the rider of the night presentation and interview on the stage. Also access to the pits up to 7pm so you can chat to the riders. If other tracks want to be successful they need to use the Somerset formula as far as they can.

Edited by oldtimer

To answer the original question - In my experience, no.

The cost is prohibitive in my opinion. A casual viewer may fancy going along to 'x' after watching a meeting on Sky until they realise the petrol will cost around £10, admission around £40 for a family, and probably another £15 once you're in. Even if you say I've overestimated and call it £50 rather than £65 the casual viewer is unlikely to want to spend that much. I'm sure some will give a try from time-to-time but not in any great numbers I fear.