British Speedway Forum
Mylor

After The Ball Is Over.........

Well, it seems the BSPA didn’t succeed in putting many smiles on peoples faces. Not even on the faces of some of their members.

What has disappointed me most about their statement is the lack of vision.

Now I’m no fan of mission statements, but if ever a body needed one it’s the BSPA for at least two reasons:

1) Drawing one up would make them think about their role in the sport as a whole and

2) The paying customer would know what they’re trying to achieve

We are now entering a year of golden opportunities, a crossroads if you like.

I believe next year the Sky Sports Elite League deal runs out.

It will also be the year new BSPA Chairman will be elected.

Moves have been made to expand the Elite League.

A couple of Conference League sides are showing signs of wanting to move up, probably the year after next.

Terry Russell and Arena Essex have made the renewal of the deal a little more attractive to Sky, and their viewers however, the sport is still creaking along. It doesn’t know where it wants to be and the lack of vision at the top is providing no form of leadership.

What was in the statement to encourage training and development?

Won’t we need these guys (and girls!?) to allow the leagues to grow?

What’s being done to encourage and help new, and existing promoters to open new tracks and/or use existing tracks for more than one team?

What is being done to market the sport more effectively. It may even need re-branding. The purists will probably hate this but the word ‘speedway’ is hardly the sexiest of names is it?

We know the promoters are busy guys but they always have the option of setting up a working party of willing helpers to come up with a practical way forward. The expertise is already there. It just needs focusing on the needs of the sport. The sport can move forward, and quickly if it wants to.

Promoters, you have a year to decide on a new Chairman. The next couple of years may well decide whether the sport grows again or re-enters one of it’s regular dwindling phases. You may wish to use this year to encourage one or more of the visionaries amongst you to stand for election. This would surely show your paying customers, present and future, broadcasters and beyond that we mean business. We want the sport to take it’s rightful place among the most popular in the country, and indeed in Europe and beyond.

:lol:

We need to wait a little while to see what effect the rule changes will really make, however it is apparent that some ‘top heavy’ clubs will not be pleased at losing more than one of their top riders It also seems likely that some of these riders will not be riding in Britain next year. The net effect, of course, is that the cost of running in the Elite League will come down which must, in itself, be a step in the right direction as it will encourage more variety for the fans, and, you would hope (don’t hold your breath on this one though), hold down admission prices encouraging more support.

It’s all about growth and vision……………anybody disagree??

you're right on the vision side... they never plan for the future, everything is always 'next season', then they change it again.

sky will get wind of the constant rule changes and pull the plug claiming the sport can't be credible with such constant changes

it's why we need someone in charge to make decisions for the sport, with no interests in a team, someone that can lay down a 5 year plan and work to achieve that even if it upsets 'promoters' at times

The reason there is no vision is beacuse it is an impossability to have a vision where the teams change so drastically at the end of each season.

You couldn't for example make a five year goal regarding teams and gp riders because of the points limit in each teams or gradign as it's called now. The unfourtune is thought that realisitcally we need the points limit or promotors with money would be able to but together really strong teams and it would get really boring.

As for re-branding - I can see your point speedway isn't a partiually sexy word but if a tall blonde was to say it very sudectively wearing very little don't tell me that all the men watching the ad woudln't suddenly pay attention. (no offense) Again though a downside we are a family sport so why would we advertise using all that sex appeal?

So the answer? Well I saw some impressives promo's on some of the world cup and gp's that gave me goosebumbs. Why not use them to advertise on Sky instead of repetitve shots of racing. Not only would it show viewers a ifferent side of the sport there is a high change that people would sit up and think well what's all this about then? So they watch the gp world cup regardless they like it so start watching the league coverage then they realise that there is a track near them and hey presto a new paying fan at that track.

The problem is whoever it is making all the descions wants quick fix answers not long term solid soloutions to making the sport better.

Wow that's long for me!

Take Care everyone. xxx.

..............sky will get wind of the constant rule changes and pull the plug claiming the sport can't be credible with such constant changes

Was the sport credible when they decided to sponsor the EL first time round Steve?

Perhaps they thought, or were promised, that things would change but I shouldn't think they expected the sort of changes we've seen since the deal was signed!!

I suppose things could be worse. When the team building starts in earnest the promoters may decide they've made a dogs dinner of the rulebook and dispel any doubts about the sport's credibility.

The reason there is no vision is beacuse it is an impossability to have a vision where the teams change so drastically at the end of each season.

At club/promoter level I agree Sullizbabe. That’s why the visionary leadership should come from the top. Instead of stumbling from year to year any credible organisation would know where it's headed and plan accordingly.

I also agree about the points limit or some practical alternative with one exception. If the Panthers signed a promising youngster and put the effort into his training and development I don't see why any points limit should force you to part with him except by agreement. If he averaged above 6 say, Peterborough should have the option of excluding him from the calculation when team building. It wouldn't happen of course, but it could be possible to train an exceptional squad, but having seen the effort you put in to get them to that level, no-one should have cause to complain. I say it wouldn't happen 'cos some riders will think the grass is greener elsewhere and leave by agreement. Loans exceeding 2 years would also be deemed to indicate the end of the agreement. Sorry about that. It was supposed to be a single sentence but when I read it through I saw it needed explaining somewhat.

Re-branding………….said like that Mr Bean could sound sexy!!

I think you’ve just put another piece in the jigsaw Sullizbabe. The promo’s that I saw were excellent. The British SGP posters in the Cardiff shop windows were little short of stunning. Anyone know which company did them and are they available as desktop wallpaper?

Keep posting SB.

I just wonder to what extent Sky are calling the shots. Already they seem to influence meetings to some extent so that things happen to suit their schedules and advertising.

Fair enough, I suppose - he who pays the piper calls the tune. Why not, then, ask Sky to make up the rules for the following season at least as far as the Elite League goes? Has anyone asked them about guests, jokers and the like? Or is their input more covert (now there's a good word :lol:).

If the Sky deal runs out next year as Mylor says then it will be interesting to see their commitment to continuing with their coverage and what conditions they impose.

I think you’ve just put another piece in the jigsaw Sullizbabe. The promo’s that I saw were excellent. The British SGP posters in the Cardiff shop windows were little short of stunning. Anyone know which company did them and are they available as desktop wallpaper?

thank you Mylor.

Maybe they should just let the fans run the sport for a year. lol.

If the Sky deal runs out next year as Mylor says then it will be interesting to see their commitment to continuing with their coverage and what conditions they impose.

Very interesting point Merlin, don't think any one else had really mentioned that, it seems to be a very yes they will or no they wont carry on the contract from what I've read all over the web the wonder of speedway is only time will tell. lol.

Take Care everyone.

I think we have to remember what Sky get out of the deal - reasonably cheap mid week schedule filling during the football off season

Sorry if that sounds cynical but who really thinks that speedway would get a look in were it a winter sport and had to compete head on with football and to a lesser extent rugby

This should in no way be seen as a negative post, far from it our seasonality presents the sport with a real opportunity and with 2005 not having a major football tournament I would have thought Sky would continue the relationship.

I would still prefer to see a more compact league format for the TV schedule, which allows viable club structure underneath but cant see that happening without a single (neutral) head at the top of the sport

I don't think that's strictly treu about the 'cheap mid week schedule filling during the football off season' - After all the football season runs from August to May and the speedway is on March to September. If that was ALL they were interested in, they would only show matches during the 'gap'!

Although SKY don't disclose viewing figures, CVS said at the Wolves Talk-in last season that he'd been told the Speedway was second only to football for viewing - and not just during the summer but when adding the whole years figures together.

As someone said on another thread (sorry I can't remember who) - if you went back to ten years ago and told people what we've got now, they'd be over the moon!!! Live speedway on TV every week, plus GP's, a ten team EL, strong 15 team PL and a thriving CL.......... :approve:B)

Although SKY don't disclose viewing figures, CVS said at the Wolves Talk-in last season that he'd been told the Speedway was second only to football for viewing - and not just during the summer but when adding the whole years figures together.

Does this mean Speedway can claim to be Britain's second largest spectator sport once again?

Ive also heard that Speedway is the second most watched sport on Sky, but sadly, it doesnt show on the terraces

Ive also heard that Speedway is the second most watched sport on Sky

If that's the case we should be able to secure a good deal from Sky when the contract comes up for renewal at the end of 2004.

Rugby League, which is essentially a regional game, got £87 million for 5 years, what should we get ? Anything approaching that would be enough to secure the future of all existing tracks, and do much more.

What do you mean anywhere near 87 million? We get more than the sport that gets 87 million so 'we' deserve more than 87 million not 'near' 87 million!