British Speedway Forum

Taken from the fim grand prix rules

Should a rider or riders who have qualified directly, either by being in the top 8 of

the Final Overall Grand Prix Classification or in the top 3 of the FIM Grand Prix

qualification system or who qualified through both systems, withdraw prior to the

start of the Grand Prix season, the first rider or riders available on the Official

Grand Prix Qualified Substitute list shall replace him or them.

i'm not sure that this applies to what people are asking though.............we have seen this in the case of Davey Watt coming in to replace Emil through Emil being unable to take his place

In the case of Freddie making the top 8 i'm not so sure that the qualifying spot doesnt fall into the black hole of IMG/FIM freedom and manipulation............ someone suggested in a recent post that this very scenario did happen in recent years and that it resulted in a permanent wildcard pick rather than the next qualifier slotting in............. I hope for Kolodziej's sake that doesnt happen if that scenario happens

Kolodziej blow a great chance this evening. He was the best rider for most of the meeting, but didn't have the bottle when it came down to the crunch.

He may still get in if Lindgren pushes up into the top 8. Otherwise I don't see why Kolodziej should be in the GP next season - he showed tonight that he can't perform under pressure so he's likely to struggle in the GPs.

I think it's harsh to say that he can't perform under pressure.

He missed out in a close run-off which he would never have been in if he hadn't had mechanical troubles in his final race of the 20 heats.

Think there's a good chance Laguta being in could mean Emil won't get a pick?

Not a chance. Emil is the hottest young property in World Speedway - he'll be first pick when it comes to the four seeded riders for next year's series. IMG/BSI will be relieved that two Swedes have qualified - it makes it much easier for next season now. Seeds will be Emil, Nicki P, maybe Greg, and one but probably two Brits - Harris and, er, Nicholls???

It's not right that two Brits will be seeded, but that's what is likely to happen.

All the best

Rob

Emil is as guaranteed as the world champion of a place in next years GP series.

How can you kick someone out of the series who will only ride 4 rounds out of the 11 due to injury and could actually still finish above Tai in the final standings

Really can't see that remotely having a chance of happening. I'd certainly leave the sport behind if something as crazy as that took place.

i hope that BSI/IMG will give Kolodziej a Wild Card. Its not his fault that his bike broke down.

Perhaps the EF was because of the new silencers?

EF was because of one very very very little pebble that choked the carburettor rozpacz.gif

No chance of that I hope. The guy finished 3rd last year and would have been in the top 8 this year if it wasn't for his injuries. He is a must for next year.

That leaves 3 slots and I guess it all depends which riders get in the top 8.

Don't really want to see any of Jonsson, Pedersen, Hancock or Andersen miss out to just to let the Brits get 2 in.

I also would like to see Kolodziej get in, which would require Lindgren getting into the top eight.

I think it's harsh to say that he can't perform under pressure.

He missed out in a close run-off which he would never have been in if he hadn't had mechanical troubles in his final race of the 20 heats.

HenryW, he went from likely meeting winner to non-qualifier. And GP racing is harsh. :wink:

Kolodziej rode superbly for 4 races, but then blew it.

All the best

Rob

i'm not sure that this applies to what people are asking though.............we have seen this in the case of Davey Watt coming in to replace Emil through Emil being unable to take his place

In the case of Freddie making the top 8 i'm not so sure that the qualifying spot doesnt fall into the black hole of IMG/FIM freedom and manipulation............ someone suggested in a recent post that this very scenario did happen in recent years and that it resulted in a permanent wildcard pick rather than the next qualifier slotting in............. I hope for Kolodziej's sake that doesnt happen if that scenario happens

I also wasn`t sure it was applicable in this case-and i`m sure before someone has finished in the top eight and the top three in the challenge but i can`t remember what happened.

Not a chance. Emil is the hottest young property in World Speedway - he'll be first pick when it comes to the four seeded riders for next year's series. IMG/BSI will be relieved that two Swedes have qualified - it makes it much easier for next season now. Seeds will be Emil, Nicki P, maybe Greg, and one but probably two Brits - Harris and, er, Nicholls???

It's not right that two Brits will be seeded, but that's what is likely to happen.

All the best

Rob

I'm hoping that IMG are more in tune this season than any other and realise that there is no way to justify two picks....... the level of competition is fierce and probably the highest the GP's has seen... its borderline to warrant one pick as it is!......... I see no point in pushing Tai back in so soon.... and the reality is that Scott and Rico had enough chances to gain top class teams and machinery around them and they ended up well adrift of the pack

Seeds will be Emil, Nicki P, maybe Greg, and one but probably two Brits - Harris and, er, Nicholls???

I think Hancock's experience will see him top eight and with no need of a nomination. Jonsson, on the other hand, seems hopelessly out of touch these days and could very easily be left looking for a nomination. It would be hard, but not impossible, for BSI to deny Jonsson a nomination, while giving Harris a fifth one.

So if Freddie gets into the top eight in his own right, what happens then?

Kolodiej gets a place

There are 4 Wild Cards ..... Emil is assured of one as is Nicki should he finish outside the top 8 .... so that leaves just 2

Pick from Hancock, Harris, Woffinden or possibly even AJ

I would hazard a guess that next years GP series will contain 13 out of the current permanent 15 with Artem and Antonio replacing Zorro and Tai...all barring serious injury or retirements.

I can't see BSI/IMG ommitting both Brits, doesnt make commercial sense to them, so Bomber will have to be handed a pick, which then makes it very difficult to justify ommitting anyone who finishes above him.

Only way I can see Janusz getting a permanent GP spot is if either Greg or Nicki call it a day.

One other rider that could be in trouble if he falls outside the top 8 would be Hans, but as said above how do you justify to Hans he is out of the series if the hand Bomber a wildcard.

I also wasn`t sure it was applicable in this case-and i`m sure before someone has finished in the top eight and the top three in the challenge but i can`t remember what happened.

It happened, sort of, in 2006. Andersen was fifth in the GPs and qualified via the GP Challenge at Vetlanda. However, Andersen didn't start the 2006 season as a GPer. He entered the fray as a "wild card" in Vojens and won the GP. He subsequently took over from the retiring Tony Rickardsson for the remainder of the season (although I think one more appearance was technically as a "wild card", with Ryan Sullivan taking Rickardsson's place). Andersen's GP challenge qualification was given priority and the ninth placed rider in the GPs, Jaroslaw Hampel, was sort of credited with eighth place, although Andersen was allowed the No 5 race jacket in the GPs. So, I guess what happens depends on what "spin" BSI can place on it.