British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
staxton

Just Like To Say "hello"

I'm pretty sure Cyril was at Tamworth for a time as well, but would have to look through some old records. Have a vague recollection of conversations about it though, in days gone by. With Tamworth being a feeder track to Birmingham there was a fair bit of two way traffic in rider changes.

Cyril Page rode for Stoke in 1947 and scored a maximum 12 points in their first home meeting v Cradley Heath Cubs on 8th May. After 3 rides for 0 points at Southampton on 22nd July and 1 from 4 rides at home to Cradley Heath on 24th July, he rode for Tamworth at Wombwell on 25th July 1947. Cyril then stayed at Tamworth until the end of 1948 - he was Tamworth top scorer that season.

Hi teambouchard-bet I would have recognised Rick!!As regards Ron I recall him being an extremely tough rider-great names from the past-to lightning did you ever see either of these guys ride speedway.

Unfortunately I did not see any of these riders in action. My memories are restricted to working with them.

One of Ron Mountford's neighbours ran the grocer's shop in our village on the Staffordshire-Worcestershire border when I was a speedway mad schoolboy. She took my scrapbook home and asked him to autograph his photo's, of which there were several. I didn't get the scrapbook back for nearly a month - Ron had taken it to meetings and obtained autographs of riders from all over the country. A very kind act by a fine rider.

This consideration is typical of the "Tough Guy" I was privileged to work with.

Cyril Page rode for Stoke in 1947 and scored a maximum 12 points in their first home meeting v Cradley Heath Cubs on 8th May. After 3 rides for 0 points at Southampton on 22nd July and 1 from 4 rides at home to Cradley Heath on 24th July, he rode for Tamworth at Wombwell on 25th July 1947. Cyril then stayed at Tamworth until the end of 1948 - he was Tamworth top scorer that season.

Thanks for this information Guernsey. I knew very little of Cyril's riding achievements because he would have changed the subject if I had asked him for details.

People I respect do that sort of thing.

The excellent "A-Z of Post-War British League Riders" CD for the 1940's by Hugh Vass and Matt Jackson has the following info for Cyril:

1946 - Birmingham

1947 - Stoke and Tamworth

1948-1949 - Tamworth

1949-1951 - Leicester

1951 - Birmingham

1952 - Leicester, Long Eaton and Birmingham

1953 - Leicester

Hi Lightning and a slightly belated birthday greetings to you!

Something I just remembered, did they have the cooker at the garage when you were there? I remember the first day I was helping out, as the morning went on a lovely smell of cooking filling the garage as Cyril kept checking the operation and at lunch time producing a grand joint of pork. I didn't eat much, if anything, during the day at that time, but Cyril insisted I have a large hot pork sandwich, "to keep your strength up" as he said. :D He certainly knew how to look after himself or at least with no fear of starving!

On 8/29/2010 at 2:59 PM, yesterdaysman said:

Hi Lightning and a slightly belated birthday greetings to you!

Something I just remembered, did they have the cooker at the garage when you were there? I remember the first day I was helping out, as the morning went on a lovely smell of cooking filling the garage as Cyril kept checking the operation and at lunch time producing a grand joint of pork. I didn't eat much, if anything, during the day at that time, but Cyril insisted I have a large hot pork sandwich, "to keep your strength up" as he said. :D He certainly knew how to look after himself or at least with no fear of starving!

Hello Yesterdayman,

Please accept my profound apologies for not acknowledging your kind and thoughtful birthday wishes.

Over the past 10 years, much has changed, with a PC HD failure, lost data, passwords the whole smash. However, it has been possible to get cracking again and see the events about my

friends from the Tettenhall Garage.

It has come as no surprise to learn Cyril was able to provide a feast for you.  To find this archive photo of the man, was a great treat.  We were good friends, even for a short time and he is very much missed.  The cooker escaped my attention but was no doubt ready for action somewhere.

Kindest regards,

Lightning.

Cyril Page 2.jpg