British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SimonB

Sms Secure Mildenhall Speedway

Whilst I applaud your noble efforts in trying to keep the club alive, I do wonder - with it's history over the last few years - whether it is not just better to let the club stay closed. It's in the third tier of the sport and very poorly supported. Previous Promotions have found it non sustainable and even the Chapmans couldn't wait to get rid.

Just saying it as I see it. Unless you find some wealthy benefactor who is happy to lose money, then why bother? Recent history suggests that this will be a huge drain on your time and money. Good luck anyway, I think you will need shedloads.

Of the previous promotions I understand that at National league level it has proved to be marginally sustainable. Ray told me that lasat season he just about broke even and I think that Mike Horton made a little profit in his first year at NL level. Therefore I do beleive it can be made finacial stable at this level.

I know for sure it isnt sustainable at PL level :D

I know for sure it isnt sustainable at PL level :D

Now are you really quite sure about that ? :wink:

Now are you really quite sure about that ? :wink:

:D Yes pretty damn certain lol

:D Yes pretty damn certain lol

Best of luck to all concerned at Mildenhall with their efforts to get the club running for next year, great bunch of supporters. Hopefully i will make an appearance at West Row next year to witness it.

Whilst I applaud your noble efforts in trying to keep the club alive, I do wonder - with it's history over the last few years - whether it is not just better to let the club stay closed. It's in the third tier of the sport and very poorly supported. Previous Promotions have found it non sustainable and even the Chapmans couldn't wait to get rid.

Just saying it as I see it. Unless you find some wealthy benefactor who is happy to lose money, then why bother? Recent history suggests that this will be a huge drain on your time and money. Good luck anyway, I think you will need shedloads.

As Simon has stated elsewhere on this thread, Premier League is not sustainable at Mildenhall but National League most certantly is as long as the club is run as a business by businessmen.

As long as the club is promoted in the local area correctly then Mildenhall is more than capable for running for years to come.

The reasons why the club has gone through a number of tough years are for various, and different reasons, but National League speedway at West Row is more than a viable business if run correctly.

And finally, the Chapmans situation was unique, and had nothing to do with the ability of the club to run (at any level).

SMS would like to run a competition to see where you can take a picture of yourself (or a celebrity if you can find one to hold the poster) holding the SMS poster. As you can see from our above link we have Scott Nicholls holding the poster in the pits of Ipswich speedway as an example to follow.

I think the poster can be downloaded here at this link for you to print off and use for your photograph.

We will publish all entries (if they are decent) on our facebook page and will announce a monthly winner. Please email your entries to mildenhall2010@hotmail.co.uk

Just a reminder :D It would be great to get a picture from every track which we could then use in publicity material to demonstrate the strength of support for the sport of speedway

Just a reminder :D It would be great to get a picture from every track which we could then use in publicity material to demonstrate the strength of support for the sport of speedway

Prehaps you could get Steve Hone to do one of the Chapmans holding the banner at Kings Lynn....Now that would be a touch of irony, and surely would win any competition :D

Prehaps you could get Steve Hone to do one of the Chapmans holding the banner at Kings Lynn....Now that would be a touch of irony, and surely would win any competition :D

That indeed could be a winner if someone can get the photograph (got to be real no fakes accepted) :D

Thanks Andrew, much appreciated. I think most of them are potentially more possible for the new promotion to look into. I know Nikko did a lot of work in the past in looking for grants that would allow Mildenhall Speedway to work within the local community as well as help the speedway club itself. Maybe he can re-visit that.

Before people make comments about previous promotions including the Chapmans they should find out the facts because these kind of comments can be detremental to those trying to get the Fen Tigers operating again.Its ok for those who have a team to support but not nice for Mildenhall Supporters.

Edited by DennisW

I sadly tend to agree with you.

Ah well lets all lie down, give up and die then!

What a silly over the top, defeatist post!

Mildenhall speedway is very difficult to run for a number of reasons that are apparent to supporters and some that only those who have been closely involved would know about.

Mildenhall speedway certainly isn't viable at any level above 3rd tier unless bankrolled by a rich owner.

It is viable at 3rd tier level if run properly which in the case of this season it certainly hasn't!

Lack of a commercial department, poor organisation, poor business sense, minimal planning during the close season, lack of communication, disenfranchising from fans, not applying common sense and other things I'm better of not mentioning all contributed to this seasons downfall and what would have any other speedway track on their knees.

Similar to what Niko says - Mildenhall speedway being run by a promotion who are capable of promoting in the right manner, think about doing the right things to keep existing fans and attract new ones is capable of being viable in the 3rd tier!

As Simon has stated elsewhere on this thread, Premier League is not sustainable at Mildenhall but National League most certantly is as long as the club is run as a business by businessmen.

As long as the club is promoted in the local area correctly then Mildenhall is more than capable for running for years to come.

The reasons why the club has gone through a number of tough years are for various, and different reasons, but National League speedway at West Row is more than a viable business if run correctly.

And finally, the Chapmans situation was unique, and had nothing to do with the ability of the club to run (at any level).

Totally agree with these comments - I know for sure that if the club is promoted as it should be in a professional way, ran on strict business lines by people who have the experience to do just that, it can be successful and sustainable at current NL level. Sensible rent figures being a very important and integral part of this of course - for any outside interest. Take it from me - I've done the figures to the finest detail and know it can be done.

How often do you see Speedway promoted professionally today ? - Mildenhall has been a prime example of this shortfall for several seasons now.

SMS Fen tigers would like to officially invite MSSC to the first of many events, organised by SMS to raise funds for the future of the club, at the fenman bar for a night at the dogs where they will be able to publise their events and keep the fans up to date.We are all fans of the Mildenhall Fen Tigers and we all want the same thing, for mildenhall to be up and running again in 2011, SMS have chosen to hold their events at the fenman to keep speedway firmly at Mildenhall Stadium and show Mr Coventry our determination and support to keep speedway alive at his stadium. We hope as many of the members of the supporters club as possible can attend the race night to once again reinforce our commitment to keep mildenhall speedway in the public domain.