Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Carrie

Australisian Gps Next Year?

Earlier in the year there was talk about having GPs in Australia and New Zealand next year.

Checking the speedwaygp.com website there's still only 3 confirmed meetings showing on the calendar, none down under. I wondered if anyone had any info about how discussions were going?

Thanks

I read yesterday in a Polish speedway weekly an interview with some FIM guy saying that probably there will be no GP in NZ next year because local authorities cannot afford it - they can give some grant for it but that's not enough.

I dont think they will. It will cost the riders a bomb! and alot of them ride on sundays so i wont see it happening.

I read yesterday in a Polish speedway weekly an interview with some FIM guy saying that probably there will be no GP in NZ next year because local authorities cannot afford it - they can give some grant for it but that's not enough.

Thanks for the info, it's a shame, but not a big surprise.

Ah well, Cardiff is a bit more affordable for me to get to.

I dont think they will. It will cost the riders a bomb! and alot of them ride on sundays so i wont see it happening.

well the idea of having a GP or two down under is to have it when the european season either haven't started yet or already have ended.

well the idea of having a GP or two down under is to have it when the european season either haven't started yet or already have ended.

All year round Speedway!!! Heaven... :P

Planning is still underway.

A meeting was held yesterday.

Ole Olsen was here in July.

Newspaper article 22 July

Baypark general manager Ervin McSweeney has been on a fact-finding mission to Europe as part of preparations to ensure Tauranga is in the best possible shape to host a round of the world speedway motorcycle championship.

Mr McSweeney spent two days at the showpiece of of the championship, the British Grand Prix at Millennium Stadium in Wales.

No decision has been made by promoter IMG on where a championship round would be staged in Australasia, but Baypark was believed to be strongly in the frame, with negotiations now down to sorting out the details of a suitable final package.

Mr McSweeney spent July 9 and 10 in Cardiff, where he familiarised himself with the organisational details needed to host a world championship round.

He said it was important to know exactly what Baypark was potentially getting itself into and what was needed to do to run a world championship round.

"It was really good to see all the preparations."

Mr McSweeney said he had gained invaluable insights on what was needed if Baypark was to host a round.

The promoter needed to be happy that Baypark could deliver an event of the quality needed for a world championship.

"No stone will be left unturned to make sure that we can do that," he said.

Ta for that Kiwi, haven't heard 'Boo' since Easter over here.

Interesting info, Kiwi. Certainly sounds like it is still a possibility.

I think the most realistic way of this coming off would be to effectively have a mini-series in Aus and NZ before the European season gets under way. It would be more cost-effective (shipping of all equipment) for the riders to travel for say four meetings (for eg) rather than a one-off. Run them every two weeks in Jan and Feb before everyone heads back to Europe in Mar/Apr (depending on where they're riding their league racing). It would also be more attractive to European travellers to go all the way to either Aus or NZ for a couple of meetings rather than for one.

The plan was to have the GPs over two consecutive weekends in March. Maybe not next year now but I'm sure IMG are planning for the future, especially now David Tapp is GM of Parramatta, an ideal venue for a big meeting. Problem seems to be who's gonna pay for all the FIM freeloaders, same as last time.

Edited by BigFatDave

A further thought occurs - Try to announce it with a minimum of a full year notice, preferably more, if you want any significant numbers to travel from Europe. A lot of people plan their holiday a year in advance to get decent prices and to give themselves time to save the pennies.

A further thought occurs - Try to announce it with a minimum of a full year notice, preferably more, if you want any significant numbers to travel from Europe.

That a good point. Given that the news leaking out was suggesting a Feb/Mar timeframe for an antipodean GP, there wouldn't seem much time to get things arranged before the FIM meeting in October when dates get agreed. Reading between the lines of the press announcement, it doesn't much sound like it'll happen in 2011.

The other problem with running GPs before the European season starts is that riders will be going into them cold without much in the way of competitive racing beforehand.

Maybe not next year now but I'm sure IMG are planning for the future, especially now David Tapp is GM of Parramatta, an ideal venue for a big meeting. Problem seems to be who's gonna pay for all the FIM freeloaders, same as last time.

Has David Tapp finally given up on rugby league? ;)

He's been involved with speedway for years though, and promoted the ISMS a few years back. If an Aussie GP was financially viable, he'd surely have been the person to have done it by now.

It's just a thought which I'm sure dozens of you will shoot down, but I wonder if we might take a leaf out of the show jumping world and the riders use only local bikes and engineers for the contest - thus avoiding the need to transport tons of equipment and people half-way round the world.

Has David Tapp finally given up on rugby league? ;)

He's been involved with speedway for years though, and promoted the ISMS a few years back. If an Aussie GP was financially viable, he'd surely have been the person to have done it by now.

No, as far as I know his company still produces a Rugby League show for FOX Sports.

He's just started as GM for Parramatta Raceway and he's as innovative as ever - last weekend he promoted a Motocross event there which attracted amongst others Wayne Gardner's sons Remy and Luca. The new TPCR Website - http://www.parramattacityraceway.com.au/ - is a model that could be taken up around the world, another example of his professional attitude to the sport.

He's been pushing for I don't know how long for a united approach to Solos, but the Tyranny of Distance hasn't helped things as usual, and budding promotors are wary considering the financial bath taken by Dave Lander after the last GP.

He's getting a freebie to be the Commentator at Leigh's Cheerio bash in January; doubtless we'll say 'G'day' then.