British Speedway Forum

Can anybody tell us the situation surrounding Mark Jones at the Hornets? I've heard he has to return home soon (something about the end of his visa :blink: ) and that when he does there's the possibility of him being replaced by the returning Tim Webster.

Mark's been great to have at the Hornets and has piled up plenty of points for us with great style so it will be disappointing to see him go but nevertheless good to see Tim back if that happens. Anybody got any info?

Sounds like you have probably got it right, it was in the Star this week.

Someone correct me if i am wrong but i think he has abou 3/4 meetings left before he goes back!! Such a shame becuase he has been a brill rider, lets hope he back next season!!

Sounds like you have probably got it right, it was in the Star this week.

I saw that in the Star Trees but it said that Mark was returning "to his homeland next month". I take that to mean September but is it the 1st, the 30th or whenever? We have a fair number of meetings in September and I'd like to see Mark do as many as possible.

I saw that in the Star Trees but it said that Mark was returning "to his homeland next month". I take that to mean September but is it the 1st, the 30th or whenever? We have a fair number of meetings in September and I'd like to see Mark do as many as possible.

Was told on Sunday that he flies home on Sept 2nd or 3rd as that is when his visa runs out. I hope he comes back to Newport next year

Was told on Sunday that he flies home on Sept 2nd or 3rd as that is when his visa runs out. I hope he comes back to Newport next year

If this is true then he shouldn't even be in the NL as a 6 month visa (which I'm presuming is what is referred to) does not permit you to race. The youth mobility visa lasts for two years and is the one that the commonwealth riders need to race in the NL.

Sounds as though NL promoters & BSPA should get to the bottom of these permits..... could be right what montie posted on another thread.

Sounds as though NL promoters & BSPA should get to the bottom of these permits..... could be right what montie posted on another thread.

What was that?

Montie Quote

That clears that up then lol I did get told the other day that the reason why Weymouth couldn't sign the Aussie Tom Armstrong was because there are only allowed to be 12 Aussies in the NL anyone else heard of this :blink:

[/Montie,s

quot

I was told that every aussie riding in the nl was riding ilegally,and that there are no work permits available that'll be why tom armstrong can't ride ;) can of worms spring to mind

Thats what Montie wrote the other Day, so i guess someone needs to protest to the BSPA, when they are riding against Newport, and every NL promoter needs to be checking the validity of the visas they have. I respect Jaynes Knowledge of visas, she has been doing this long enough now to know what is what.

I have nothing against Mark Jones, but if he is only on a "visit visa" then i know he should NOT be riding for a team, and thats why Tim Webster, and Danny Halsey, and other riders without Team spots are being hard done by.

Edited by greyhoundp

I have nothing against Mark Jones, but if he is only on a "visit visa" then i know he should NOT be riding for a team, and thats why Tim Webster, and Danny Halsey, and other riders without Team spots are being hard done by.

Tim Webster and Danny Halsey are not without team spots because of riders like Mark Jones, they are without team spots because Mildenhall folded.

Tim Webster and Danny Halsey are not without team spots because of riders like Mark Jones, they are without team spots because Mildenhall folded.

Mildenhall folded - Tim Webster lost his place at Newport to a Mildenhall rider. When Mark Jones goes back home Tim Webster will (possibly/probably) get a place back in the Newport team.

It's the overlap between Mildenhall folding and Mark Jones going home that has meant that Tim Webster has lost his team place. If it was really not the fault of Mark Jones being in the team why wasn't he (Mark) sidelined (because he is going home) rather than Tim Webster???

My point is as Jayne has said most visa riders in the NL should be on a Youth visa, which lasts for 2 years, If Mark Jones is only on a visit Visa, then thats why he has to return home, and VISIT Visas are NOT allowed to <work> have a Team place, because thats what they are VISIT visas, unless Mark has other valid reasons why he has to return home.

Quote from jayne;

If this is true then he shouldn't even be in the NL as a 6 month visa (which I'm presuming is what is referred to) does not permit you to race. The youth mobility visa lasts for two years and is the one that the commonwealth riders need to race in the NL.end of Quote.

Edited by greyhoundp

Question - Are you still classed as working if you're not paid but have your 'costs' reimbursed? :wink:

This is the same argument that Rye used for Tyson Nelson. If you have a look at the borders agency site then it explains it all there. A general visa (commonly referred to as a tourist visa) which lasts 6 months specifically states that you cannot be a 'sportsperson'.