British Speedway Forum
Scunny Stag

Scunthorpe V Buxton (following Scorpions V Sheffield) Mon 30th August 5pm

The Eddie Wright Raceway in Scunthorpe plays host to one of its traditional Bank Holiday speedway feasts this Monday with two top class speedway meetings set to start at 5pm. First up are the Premier League Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions against their arch-rivals from just over the county boundary, the Sheffield Tigers, with both sides desperate to pip King’s Lynn and Berwick for sixth place in the league and second pick of opponent in the Young Shield. Then immediately afterwards the talent-filled Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints face the high-flying, title challenging Buxton Hitmen over another fifteen heats of high-octane action.

With adult admission prices just two pounds more than for a standalone Premier League meeting Promoter Rob Godfrey believes Monday’s thirty heats of racing represent fantastic value for money. “There are quite a lot of fans who like to travel from far and wide to come and see our bank holiday double-headers. I know there are fans that regularly come from North Wales and Oxford and they are just the long distance ones I’ve heard about. If they are prepared to come that distance to visit us then we have something special. I really believe it is the standard of our racing that attracts so many to travel and we have two first-rate opponents this week to boot”.

“Sheffield will be coming with three former Scorpions in their line-up. Josh Auty is in the form of his career at the moment whilst Richard Hall and Simon Lambert will no doubt feel they have something to prove. They’ve got Alex Davies in as a guest for Paul Cooper and he was part of the Newport side who were the last winners here at the beginning of June. We’re not only looking to defeat Sheffield but we are desperate to win the bonus point as it seems like it might give us a chance of finishing above them. Not only should that give us a pick of opponent in the Young Shield but local bragging rights are always nice to have and it would be the first time we’ve ever achieved it”.

“Then after the excitement of the Premier League meeting we have another cracker in the National League. Quite a lot of people expected the Saints to lose to the Isle of Wight last time they were at home but our young side showed how far they have progressed this season and I wouldn’t put it past them to do the same to Buxton. I’d like to thank them for agreeing to come on the Bank Holiday despite them being without Craig Cook and Nick Morris. However, they’re still going to be a great test for the Saints as rider replacement plus Simon Lambert as a guest will provide pretty decent cover. We’ve got Adam Wrathall coming back from injury and Richie Worrall is in the team proper for the first time so Buxton must start out as strong favourites. However, our riders are developing fast and you never know, the Saints strength in depth might just give them a chance”.

“Whilst strength in depth is what got us the great draw at Rye House I have to say our heat-leaders are really doing the business at home. Before heat 15 last week our top four had dropped just one point between them. Tero (Aarnio) and Carl (Wilkinson) recorded maximums whilst David (Howe) just lost his in heat 15 and Magnus dropped his only point in his first ride. Hopefully those four can continue with that form and we can get solid contributions from Viktor (Bergström), Jan (Graversen) and Gary (Irving). If those three avoid last places and the top four pick up the heat wins then I’m sure we can get that bonus point. Whatever happens we can be certain that anyone who comes will see some great racing. There always seems to be a strong contingent of away fans when Scunthorpe and Sheffield meet and I guess with just forty-five miles between the tracks it’s not a surprise. It generates a good atmosphere so I’m really excited about Monday. These kind of matches are what makes it all worthwhile and I’d be delighted if we could also face Sheffield in the latter stages of the Young Shield too”.

Sunday’s racing starts at 5pm and admission prices are £15 for adults, £13 for concessions (both just £2 above the normal admission prices) whilst prices for children aged 10 to 16 remain at just £4 (under tens are free).

The declared line-ups for the two meetings are:

Henderson Insurance Scunthorpe Scorpions: 1. David Howe 2. Viktor Bergström (Sweden), 3. Tero Aarnio (Finland), 4. Carl Wilkinson, 5. Magnus Karlsson (Sweden), 6. Jan Graversen (Denmark), 7. Gary Irving

Sheffield Window Centre Tigers: 1. Josh Auty, 2. Hugh Skidmore (Australia), 3. Josef Franc (Czech Republic), 4. Richard Hall, 5. Ricky Ashworth, 6. Alex Davies (Australia) – guest for Paul Cooper, 7. Simon Lambert

Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints: 1. Mark Burrows, 2. Adam Wrathall, 3. Steve Worrall, 4. Luke Chessell, 5. Gary Irving, 6. Richie Worrall, 7. Ashley Birks

Buxton Hitmen: 1. Simon Lambert – guest for Craig Cook, 2. Rider replacement for Nick Morris, 3. Jonathan Bethell, 4. Robert Branford (Australia), 5. Adam Allott, 6. Lewis Dallaway, 7. Jason Garrity

Our usual Texter is on Holiday so

Is there anyone going to the double header who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me a pm.

Thanks

Even without Craig Cook and Nick Morris, the Hitmen proved too strong for the Saints and won 50-43. Top scorer was Jason Garrity with 17+3 and the win puts Buxton four points clear at the top of the National League table.

Two belting meetings at Scunny today. After a high-octane Scunny-Sheffield derby, the Buxton NL match threatened to be an anti-climax. Enter two riders at the opposite ends of the spectrum, Jason Garrity and Buzz Burrows to ensure that the meeting ended on a high.

Garrity went from fourth to first in Heat 12, Buzz did the same as a tactical ride in Heat 13, then Buzz & Simon Lambert were involved in the mother of all battles in Heat 15, with Buzz snatching the verdict in a photo-finish. Great stuff - I was cheering the old geezer on. :wink:

All the best

Rob

A huge WELL DONE SAINTS!........you didn't win the meeting but you definately won the hearts of all Scunny fans. You rode with so much determination it was there for all to see. What a cracking team your shaping up to. Thanks a million Buzz, your efforts tonight was worth the entrance fee alone I'm sure your example to our youngsters will pay dividends.....congrats to Buxton and good luck in winning the league. :)

Great meeting last night, couldnt watch all the races as i was a little busy but what i did see was a testament to the National League.

Heat 15 was as good as ive seen anywhere this season, Scunny have some good young kids as well, plenty to be excited about for the future.

Cheers Darrell Branford

Great meeting last night, couldnt watch all the races as i was a little busy but what i did see was a testament to the National League.

Heat 15 was as good as ive seen anywhere this season, Scunny have some good young kids as well, plenty to be excited about for the future.

Cheers Darrell Branford

I totally agree, first half disappointing but what a show from the National League. thoroughly entertaining well done both teams and thank you for a great night's racing, Good Luck to Buxton also,

just to say heat 15 between buss and simon was top draw i was with them both after the meeting both talking about bike set ups i think they must have both got it right well done both

Two belting meetings at Scunny today. After a high-octane Scunny-Sheffield derby, the Buxton NL match threatened to be an anti-climax. Enter two riders at the opposite ends of the spectrum, Jason Garrity and Buzz Burrows to ensure that the meeting ended on a high.

Garrity went from fourth to first in Heat 12, Buzz did the same as a tactical ride in Heat 13, then Buzz & Simon Lambert were involved in the mother of all battles in Heat 15, with Buzz snatching the verdict in a photo-finish. Great stuff - I was cheering the old geezer on. :wink:

All the best

Rob

This was the meeting of the season !.

buzz/lambo an garrity rode like it was a world final .

nice to see jason silence the critics with a 20 from 21 B) total! ( he ant seen the place for 3 yr).

The buzz / lambo duels were fantastic, full credit to all 13 riders as they all had there moments.

:lol: FANTASTIC ADVERT FOR SPEEDWAY :lol:

This was the meeting of the season !.

buzz/lambo an garrity rode like it was a world final .

nice to see jason silence the critics with a 20 from 21 B) total! ( he ant seen the place for 3 yr).

The buzz / lambo duels were fantastic, full credit to all 13 riders as they all had there moments.

:lol: FANTASTIC ADVERT FOR SPEEDWAY :lol:

Awesome meeting. Made the Scunny Sheffield meeting look like a warm up act before the main attraction. Good to see a load of youngsters giving it the beans.. Garrity is like the NL equivalent of The Fish & that's no bad thing in my book..

Awesome meeting. Made the Scunny Sheffield meeting look like a warm up act before the main attraction. Good to see a load of youngsters giving it the beans.. Garrity is like the NL equivalent of The Fish & that's no bad thing in my book..

I do so agree with you......That N/L meeting had to be seen to be believed....racing was awesome and in times of 58s and 59 secs. much the same as the P/L meeting ( except for Davids 56.98 ) he was the star of that show ( class act ) but those youngsters was something eles, god they gave it their all. bless them and good luck to all of them!... you will have gathered that I am into the N/L racing. Those people who do not bother with this level don't know what their missing.