British Speedway Forum
jules m

Weymouth V Newport

A meeting of incident rather than racing but Kyle Newman's breathtaking last bend swoop to win heat 4 more than made up for some of the more processional races.

Never much doubt about the result with Newport each being stronger than their opposite number pretty much throughout the 1 to 7. Todd Kurtz was outstanding again and Tom Young continues to get better and better. Good gathering of Newport fans on 3/4 bends made for a good atmosphere too.

Huge shame about Byron Bekker's injury. He has been a pleasure to watch and without him Weymouth's season would have been even more dismal. Don't like to think it but without him and with the National Trophy getting into swing now, Wildcats could end up with a double wooden spoon season.

I didn't see the heat 15 incident (honest!) but everyone I spoke to (mainly Weymouth fans on the 4th bend) was adamant that the ref excluded the wrong guy.

:)

Heat 15, definately the wrong rider excluded, Kyle was or the racing line minding his own business when James Cockle dived under him.

I didn't see the heat 15 incident (honest!) but everyone I spoke to (mainly Weymouth fans on the 4th bend) was adamant that the ref excluded the wrong guy.

Definitely got the wrong guy, but it was a racing incident rather than dirty or dangerous as some thought.

A big well done to the hornets last night! Top of the table again, was good to hear tom young is back on the bike after his accident the other week. Best wishes to Byron Bekker

dont really know what u saw stoaty but i was right in front of it no way that was a racing incident that was blatant taking out :blink:

Edited by dailagerlager

dont really know what u saw stoaty but i was right in front of it no way that was a racing incident that was blatant taking out :blink:

It depends where you stand I guess it can be deceiving depending on your view point

Taken from the superb Weymouth Speedway website -

"The last heat was somewhat controversial, Brown fell third turn first lap, the race continued with Kurtz in the lead, Cockle challenged Newman for second place cutting inside him entering the third turn second lap. Newman careered into the fence right in front of the Hornets supporters who made their voice heard when the meeting referee judged Newman to be the cause of the stoppage and disqualified him from the re-run which was won by Kurtz from Cockle putting the Hornets on top of the National League winning 39-52. After viewing video footage filmed by DL Sport Productions it clearly shows that Cockle had the racing line and Newman's foot caught Cockles dirt deflector throwing him off balance and into the kickboards while trying to re-pass the Wildcat."

Love the wording of that Jules!

To me it reads that Kyle put his foot in the way of the deflector! I hardly think so,more a case of the rider on the inside taking his foot away from him.How on earth can video footage taken fron the 1st turn,show EXACTLY what happened going into the 3rd turn? :blink:

Well,I was stood right by the pit gate,just inside the pits.I have no doubt the referee got it wrong.

I think almost everyone else thought he got it wrong.

Reminded me of the Gollob move last GP

Edited by sugarray

I have no doubt the referee got it totaly wrong as it look to me on the back straight

that Cockle just took Kyle leg the same thing he trys to do most week at Weymouth

Byron Best Wishes for a speedy recovery

He has been one of the best things about Weymouth this season