British Speedway Forum
boston five

Pat Flanagan

No I don't but I remember him well-perhaps someone else could help-it is important not to forget these journeyman riders who gave us so much enjoyment.Many of the 1963 Falcons have passed away-I hope Pat hasn't.

Last time I saw Pat he was living in the Exeter area, but that was a good few years back! I'll see what I can find out when I can get a minute. :D

Pat Flanagan (real name RONALD Flangan) was originally a Harringay junior, then rode for Aldershot, Rayleigh, Weymouth, Newcastle, Canterbury. He also raced in Ireland, Denmark and Germany. At one-time he worked as a porter at London's Covent Garden.

The 1963 Exeter photo was probably taken after Francis Cann was injured in May and before Pete Lansdale returned to the team as a rider in June - also before Jimmy Squibb joined from New Cross in August. Gordon Bailey was in the Exeter team with all of the other riders identified in the photo in the book for the meetings at Long Eaton and Hackney in May and the un-named rider does resemble him.

Pat Flanagan (real name RONALD Flangan) was originally a Harringay junior, then rode for Aldershot, Rayleigh, Weymouth, Newcastle, Canterbury. He also raced in Ireland, Denmark and Germany. At one-time he worked as a porter at London's Covent Garden.

He also was a member of the Bristol Bulldogs 1960 Provincial League team.

He also was a member of the Bristol Bulldogs 1960 Provincial League team.

And if my memory serves me correctly, the following year, 1961, he moved to Plymouth upon Bristol's closure.

regarding the pic in lens book the rider between pat and pete is not gordon the clue i will give is he came from poole if any one gets it correct i will put £10.00 in rbfund

The rider in the 1963 pic couldn't be Tim Bungay (from Poole), as he didn't ride for Exeter until 1964......

regarding the pic in lens book the rider between pat and pete is not gordon the clue i will give is he came from poole if any one gets it correct i will put £10.00 in rbfund

Bit of a wild guess but Bob Innocent ?

Can we have a link to see it please?

Meanwhile, here's my shot of Pat F, taken 1961 in Plymouth colours, (when they wer ethe Bulldogs re-located from Bristol of '60.

http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/47058/2424745820103948496S425x425Q85.jpg

My enduring memory of PF is from that year, '61, when local emerging novice at Dudley Wood, Alan Totney gave him a great run in their 2nd Half heat which so excited the crowd that the promotion put on an extra race, a Match Race between the two.

Edited by britmet

Graham Locke?