British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Bruce Penhall

We're phoning Bruce Penhall tomorrow for his next Backtrack column.

So what would you like us to ask him?

Any specific questions you would like him to answer? Maybe something you've always wondered about but have never been able to ask?

Come on, this is YOUR chance to put 'Juicy Brucie' on the spot....

Oh, and please keep it clean and legal!

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Tony, could you ask Bruce how Heat 19 of the 1982 Overseas Final was supposed to finish? In the Penhall book by Steve Johnson, it is revealed that the other three riders were supposed to finish in a different order. But in which order? Because I can't see an order which would have allowed all 4 Americans to qualify without the need of a run-off (which Shawn Moran lost).

All the best

Rob

Hi Tony

Could you please ask Bruce why in that Ht 19 at the 82 Overseas Final why didnt he just stall on the Start line or slide off on the first bend

did he honestly think that pulling wheeles at the back of the field would go down well with the british fans knowing that what he done cost british riders they place in the next round, Thanks

Ask Bruce what he would do to improve the standard of young American riders and encourage more of them to come and race in the UK and Europe

Hi Tony

Could you please ask Bruce why in that Ht 19 at the 82 Overseas Final why didnt he just stall on the Start line or slide off on the first bend

did he honestly think that pulling wheeles at the back of the field would go down well with the british fans knowing that what he done cost british riders they place in the next round, Thanks

Rebels77, as a young Bruce Penhall fan, I found the attitude of the British crowd at that meeting somewhat hypocritical, to say the least. I can't remember anyone kicking up a fuss when Dave Jessup and Larry Ross allowed Michael Lee & Ivan Mauger to beat them in their final heat in the 1981 Overseas Final, but Penhall does it a year later and suddenly there's a huge uproar. True, he shouldn't have done the wheelies, but otherwise Jessup & Ross did exactly the same.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

Which clubs tried to entice him into a comeback? When?

Bruce has aleready said that he reckons he could have given Egon Muller a hard time at Norden in 1983, but could have broken the 'Decade Of Danish Deadlock' that followed and taken on Erik Gundersen and Hans Nielsen? And could he have done it 'alone' as the Danish Duo had Ole Olsen & Ivan Mauger in their respective corners?...

You could ask BP whether he regrets his decision to walk away the way he did - and - due to his singular lack of success as an Actor why he did not return to Speedway.

Just asking the question - not to be contraversial but I really would like to know the answer.

Does he think he would have been so driven and so successful in reaching his goals, if it hadnt have been for his tragic family circumstances.

......and can he recall his 1980 ILKOC visit to the less than sulubrious surroundings of the Blantyre Greyhound Stadium home of the Glasgow Tigers and super Steve Lawson showing him a clean pair of heels in the first heat :D

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Which clubs tried to entice him into a comeback? When?

I'd be interested in the answer to that one. I assume Cradley spoke to Bruce a couple of times - although probably not around 1984, as Oxford were given the choice of any Cradley rider prior to the 1984 season, because Cradley had lost a lot of money the previous year due to having to pay out bumper points the previous season for the all-conquering 1983 team (Oxford plumped for Simon Wigg, after giving serious consideration to signing Gundersen, meaning that Nielsen & Gundersen were very nearly 1984 British League team-mates, which would have been interesting!!). But which other teams other than Cradley spoke to Bruce after his retirement? Can't recall seeing Bruce Penhall answer that question before.

All the best

Rob

I'd like to know how he thought his Book Penhall speedway world champion ended up?? I would really question him as to whether he thinks that book is worthy of evan hitting the printers let alone charging fans of the sport to read that garbage, and is he willing to accept it back if I post it back. I have a few more questions but knowing the type of character he is, He would just hang up the phone, rather than have the decency to answer some home truths!

I'd like to know how he thought his Book Penhall speedway world champion ended up?? I would really question him as to whether he thinks that book is worthy of evan hitting the printers let alone charging fans of the sport to read that garbage, and is he willing to accept it back if I post it back. I have a few more questions but knowing the type of character he is, He would just hang up the phone, rather than have the decency to answer some home truths!

Think you'll find that Penhall didn't write that book. The clue is in the fact that it has the author's name (Steve Johnson) on the cover. You can ask Steve about the book yourself he posts on here quite regularly I think.

Would be interested to know what was so wrong with the book? Not enough mentions about Darcy Ward??????? :lol:

Tony, could you ask Bruce how Heat 19 of the 1982 Overseas Final was supposed to finish? In the Penhall book by Steve Johnson, it is revealed that the other three riders were supposed to finish in a different order. But in which order? Because I can't see an order which would have allowed all 4 Americans to qualify without the need of a run-off (which Shawn Moran lost).

All the best

Rob

Interesting point Rob. Going into their last races the Moran brothers were on 6 and Siggy was on 5, so there was always going to be one rider left vulnerable on 7 points.

Think you'll find that Penhall didn't write that book. The clue is in the fact that it has the author's name (Steve Johnson) on the cover. You can ask Steve about the book yourself he posts on here quite regularly I think.

Would be interested to know what was so wrong with the book? Not enough mentions about Darcy Ward??????? :lol:

OHHHH REALLY!!!!! where did I state he wrote the thing? His book meaning it is about him. He must have endorsed it, or have an opinion on it. If I thought he wrote it, then I wouldnt need to know his thoughts as its his work and he must take respoinsibility.

Ive already given my review of the book in another thread and my comments were appreciated by the author - Steve. Although Its little consulation. You can buy it if you wish there are 2nde hand copies everywhere 4 sale, as no one wants to keep it. Painful to read TBH! :mad::sad::( It is like glorifying a conman.

Edited by dirt

"I challenge anyone to find a worse book than Penhalls offering! What a pathetic disgraceful attempt at producing a readable book. I now have mixed feelings but certainly a lot of hate for the man who by writing a book should have been gaining admirers, not creating enemies. you have to laugh at how anyone could publish this thing. Anyone off the street could have written a better book on any subject. I dont know how he managed to do so poorly, on a subject that I love. This book should be called Mission Impossible. 0/10, the few pictures are even poor. and who the hell would want to read about his power boat racing and how he won a world championship at that. I couldnt care any less.

Thank god ive got some better offerings arriving soon to get this over rated gutless yank out of my system.

cheers."

A quick search finds this diatribe, which I would hesitate to call a review, that you posted last December. I'm sure the author was delighted to read such well written constructive criticism. You still didn't actually explain what you didn't enjoy about the book.

I've got the book by the way, no classic granted, but tells the Penhall story well enough. Also as a Biography I reckon it's important to talk about Penhall the person, not just what he achieved on the track.