British Speedway Forum
willp

Dudley Heathens Vs. Weymouth Wildcats 22/09

DUDLEY Heathens are gunning for a bumper win over Weymouth at Perry Barr on Wednesday in a bid to lift the National League leaders' trophy in their first season.

The former Cradley club need a big victory to put them four-points clear of Buxton with a superior points difference.

The Hitmen have to go to King's Lynn on a date to be arranged for their last league meeting - but a mid-week win for the Heathens would make them favourites to finish top of the pile.

Boss Will Pottinger said: "Wednesday is a big night for the boys. We're all raring to go after the disappointment of the cup defeat by Buxton last week and the boys know we need to win by a big margin. It's a very important meeting for us."

*DUDLEY'S challenge match at Stoke on Saturday has been postponed as the Potters need to re-arrange an official fixture on that date.

c/o www.dudleyspeedway.com

It's absolutely vital that we smash Weymouth out of sight (due respect to Weymouth - I'm just being entirely selfish) to make it virtually impossible for Buxton to overhaul us. We currently hold a 7 point (points difference) advantage over Buxton so a relatively narrow win may not be enough. Buxton don't have an easy task to go to KL and take all 4 league points but they certainly have to ability to go there and win by a hansom margin if they all click on the night.

Whatever else happens this season (KOC and POs) I would desperately like to finish top of the table. I reckon the lads will be self-motivated after the home defeat last week but I'm sure Will will make sure they're in the right frame of mind if there's any doubt. :approve:

'Ommer um' lads. :)

Comfortable home win after last weeks dozy display ;)

With respect to Weymouth, I feel they may well feel the backlash from last tuesday, and it may well be the last chance for some of our guys to sort out and prove there equipment prior to "The Goldem Ommer" and vital KO meetings in Cup and League, so yes whilst i feel sure our guys will treat The Wildcats with respect, i feel sure there will be only one result, but hope there will be some interesting racing at the Barr.

Good to see young Mr Evans back among the points :approve:

I don't think anyone (least of all Barrie himself) will view Weymouth as anything other than weak opposition but the way his machinery was working last week he'd have had trouble racing a push bike.

I was with him in the pits and know just how gutted he was with his display and letting the Dudley fans down, so his score here will have done him a power of good.

Good to see young Mr Evans back among the points :approve:

I don't think anyone (least of all Barrie himself) will view Weymouth as anything other than weak opposition but the way his machinery was working last week he'd have had trouble racing a push bike.

I was with him in the pits and know just how gutted he was with his display and letting the Dudley fans down, so his score here will have done him a power of good.

Yes well done to ALL the Heathens, especially barrie, can you tell us HT does barrie FEEL his equipment is finally sorted, bcuz as you say weymouth are not a particuarly strong opposition.

Congrats to the Heathens riders. Cracking performance with everyone contributing well, apart from that shocking ride and last place by Rich. :lol::P Good to see the riders that had a poor night last week bounce back well. That was particularly pleasing. And a huge congrats to MOTM Tom Perry. Gutted for him to drop a point at the last but what a night for him regardless. Smarty was looking in determined mood last night and must be many people's favourite for the Golden Hammer. Nice to see Ash looking to the outside as he does much of his racing on the inside. That should be job done but the champagne is still very much on ice until the KL v Buxton result comes in.

From Updates, with my comments.

Dudley Heathens - 65

1. Lee Smart 3 3 3 3 3 = 15

2. Micky Dyer 2* 1 2* 2* = 7+3

3. Tom Perry 3 3 3 3 1 = 13

4. Jake Anderson 1 2* 2* 3 = 8+2

5. Barrie Evans 3 3 3 1 = 10

6. Ashley Morris 2* 1 1 1 = 5+1

7. Richard Franklin 3 0 3 1 = 7

Weymouth Wildcats - 27

1. James Cockle 1 1 2 2 2 = 8

2. Gary Cottham 0 0 0 0 0 = 0

3. Tom Brown 2 4 0 2 = 8

4. Karl Mason 0 0 1 2 = 3

5. Adam McKinna 2 2 1 0 = 5

6. Richard Andrews 0 0 0 0 = 0

7. Brendan Johnson 1 1* 1 0 = 3+1

Heat Results

Heat 01: Smart, Dyer, Cockle, Cottham 5-1

Comments: Heathens from the gate. Smart flying out front and took over a second off the NL track record. Dyer briefly under challenge but eased away for comfortable 2nd. Cotham off the pace.

Sponsored by www.enjaydesigns.net

Heat 02: Franklin, Morris, Johnson, Andrews 5-1 (10-2)

Comments: Heathens all the way again. Johnson on the pace and staying with Morris until over-locking and scrubbing off all his speed turn 1 and 2 lap 3.

Sponsored by Steve Dixon www.stevedixonphotography.co.uk

Heat 03: Perry, Brown, Anderson, Mason 4-2 (14-4)

Comments: Perry made his usual poor start but blasted around the outside to lead in under 2 laps and went away from everyone to win by a good 30 meters. The rest as you were throughout.

Sponsored by: Speedway fans, we will take your favourite picture and turn it into an awesome one-off gift, check us out atwww.createaclock.co.uk

Heat 04: Evans, McKinna, Johnson, Franklin 3-3 (17-7)

Comments: Well spaced. Franklin dropped off which was a suprise anfter being so comfortable in heat 2.

Sponsored by Friends of Edinburgh Speedway http://www.foes.info/

Heat 05: Perry, Anderson, Cockle, Cottham 5-1 (22-8)

Comments: Cockle takes T/R. Brilliant ride by Perry. Made one of the best starts of his life, looked on turn 2 and back straight for Anderson as the Aussie came round the outside. As Cockle made a big dive into turn 3 Perry backed off and blocked Cockle to allow Anderson to come round him to lead. Then sat behind Anderson until the last turn when he just rode around him for the win.

Sponsored by Splod

Heat 06: Smart, McKinna, Dyer, Andrews 4-2 (26-10)

Comments: Good 1st turn by McKinna to hold the Heathens off as they went either side of him. Smarty straight through on turns 3 and 4 lap 1 though. Dyer all over McKinna throughout but unable to make a pass.

Sponsored by

Heat 07: Evans, Brown, Morris, Mason 4-4 (30-14)

Comments: Brown takes T/R. Evans had to move Brown over on turn 1 to cover him which ruined Morris' run and allowed Mason into 3rd. Morris recovered quickly and set about Mason. He worked the inside and outside eventually making an outside pass off the last turn and run to the line. Evans won it by a mile.

Sponsored by Merlin

Heat 08: Franklin, Dyer, Johnson, Cottham 5-1 (35-15)

Comments: Franklin from the gate. Johnson went up rather than forward coming off turn 4 lap 1 to allow Dyer through. Heathens then cruised clear.

Sponsored by

Heat 09: Perry, Anderson, McKinna, Andrews 5-1 (40-16)

Comments: Anderson made a flyer. McKinna held 2nd initially but Perry is on it tonight. Took a couple of laps to line up outside pass on McKinna then reeled in Anderson in the blink of an eye and went round him as though he was stood still. Perry backed off once around Aderson and in clear air for the formation finish.

Sponsored by inthedirt clothing - inthedirt.co.uk - facebook.com/inthedirt

Heat 10: Smart, Dyer, Mason, Brown R 5-1 (45-17)

Comments: All 4 back as Smarty jumped the start. Clean and go for the Heathens. Brown was 3rd until a bike problem but not in a position to challenge. Smarty got his head down tonight and looking like he wants to make up for last week's poor score.

Sponsored by

Heat 11: Evans, Cockle, Morris, Cottham 4-2 (49-19)

Comments: Cockle made the best start but Evans passed him down the back straight lap 1. Morris passed Cottham on outside turn 4 lap 2, closed and put pressure on Cockle. Just as he was lining Cockle up he over-cooked thrun 1 and 2 last lap.

Sponsored by

Heat 12: Perry, Brown, Franklin, Andrews 4-2 (53-21)

Comments: Ladies and gentlemen I welcome you to the Tom 'Fred' Perry Show. Initially a good race up front between Franklin at Brown. Brown made the start but a smart cut-back on turn 2 lap 1 saw Franklin lead into turn 3. Brown straight back on it round the outside to lead going over the line into lap 2. Franklin continues to challenge on the inside. Perry is just starting to get going as they go into lap 3 and gets around the outside of Franklin. Perry makes ground up on Brown on the outside lap 3 then switches to the inside going into lap 4. Back to the outside on the last turn and just gets the drop as they approach the line. Stunning by Perry tonight.

Sponsored by

**Interval**

Heat 13: Smart, Cockle, Evans, McKinna 4-2 (57-23)

Comments: Uneventful once they sorted themselves out on the 1st half lap. Evans got close on the line but was not in a position to make a pass at any point. Decent pace by Cockle because Evans has looked quick tonight.

Sponsored by Art and Stitch for all your sewing and art supplies www.artandstitch.co.uk

Heat 14: Anderson, Mason, Morris, Johnson 4-2 (61-25)

Comments: Long delay was waiting for the decision on 2nd place. Great race between Anderson and Mason virtually throughout the race, shoulder to shoulder. Morris from way back on last turn makes a bold bid for 2nd and misses out by a fraction.

Sponsored by Splod

Heat 15: Smart, Cockle, Perry, Cottham 4-2 (65-27)

Line-up: Smart, Perry, Cockle, Cottham

Comments: Brilliant race to end. Cockle made a great start and Smart even had to be careful that Cottham didn't get round him! Smart then all over Cockle on inside and outside. Cockle rides a great ride under pressure and doesn't buckle. Looks as though he'll hang on for a win but Smarty having none of it and takes a big dive up the inside going into turn 3 last lap take the lead and the win. At the back Perry again took 2 laps to get going then made an ouside pass on Cottham. Left himslef too much to do though and his 1st maximum slips through his fingers at the last. Cottham may have been on someone else's machinery as he was faster than he'd been the rest of the night.

Sponsored by Deadlock Clothing - www.deadlockclothinguk.com

Yes well done to ALL the Heathens, especially barrie, can you tell us HT does barrie FEEL his equipment is finally sorted, bcuz as you say weymouth are not a particuarly strong opposition.

What I can say is that I got a text from him last night saying he felt a lot better, so fingers crossed.

I'll probably be down to watch him next Tuesday in the Golden Hammer.

Guessing Michael Dyer will be a Brummies reserve next season if the team stays Premier, its a guess folks........