British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Bob Meeting, Somerset 29th October

Due to unavailability of riders we have unfortunately had to postpone the upcoming BOB meeting at Somerset.

Phil Morris

Phil, that's a shame, any chance of the meeting taking place early in 2011?

All the best

Rob

Phil, that's a shame, any chance of the meeting taking place early in 2011?

All the best

Rob

I've only just seen this news, what a shame. With the fixture pile-up in the NL it's understandable, and the meeting looks likely to be joining the NLRC and NL 4s as a victim of that.

Taken together with Chris Van Straten's comments in last week's Speedway Star, I think fixture planning has to be near the top of the agenda at the AGM

Mod Note: For the record, we did offer to move it for the opening poster to the individual section

OP Note - and I replied immediately saying that I had no objection to it being moved!

Thought this was going to happen, what an absolute shame, as a sponsor of a young British Rider it is very up setting to hear that the talent of British Speedway for the future have been let down again. I know the organisers are not to blame, but possibly the thinking of doing it at the end of the season was the major error. It really should never have been a one off meeting, how can you help these lad's improve their skills etc in one off meeting's? Come on organisers get your thinking caps on earlier please.

The original PR referred to EL and PL stars appearing - I think the meeting was intended as a fund-raising event FOR the young riders rather then them actually appearing.

That would mean though that the NL fixture pile-up wouldn't impact on rider availability.

Edited by NeilWatson

From the BSPA site

Exciting plans are being put in place as work begins on finding a new generation of British Speedway talent.

Part of this will see the cream of British stars from the Elite and Premier League competing at Somerset on Friday October 29 in the 'Bring on the Brits (BOB)' meeting.

And all proceeds from the event will go towards funding for all future Youth speedway events.

The project is the brainchild of the British Youth Training Team of Phil Morris, Neil Vatcher, Graham Reeve and Graham Jones, who as well as helping the country's young riders with their racing, will be also working on other aspects of their training.

Under-21 team manager Phil Morris is convinced that Britain's got talent and that the Youth Development team can help nurture their undoubted ability.

He said: "We have been impressed with our Under-15 riders and think it's now time to help the British lads out even more.

"This includes setting up an Academy for the best youngsters so we can work on all aspects of their racing programme; not just riding the bike, but also the fitness, nutrition, psychology and mechanical side of the game.

"Britain has been crying out for more big stars and ultimately another World Champion, so it's important that we put the foundations in place at an early stage and help them to maximise their potential. We believe our training programme will assist with that.

"Riders for the meeting at the Oak Tree Arena will be confirmed over the next few weeks, but in the meantime we are looking for everyone to get fully behind the BOB campaign!"

What a shame that this initiative has stalled.

1st post in this forum chaps and just registered today - but I was drawn to this thread as this is the reason why I'd like to offer some help. Many points in the bspa bit and re the academy . - As a former rider - and I'm fairly sure alot of you are or have been or are just mad cap enthusiastic like me to be shouting for some high level Brits - then I want to know if this is the only group you know of that seems to want to create this Speedway Academy in GB? Because if so, then I'm in.

Great idea wizzer, what are the BSPA putting into our young kids atm?