Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
ivanhoward

Most Improved Nl Rider

Since a similar topic has been started on the PL forum I thought that it would be interesting to see who has made the most progress in the NL. Please do not include 'old hands'.

In my view Jake Knight has made terrific strides and could be heading for a PL slot in 2011.

jamie pickard has improved massivly number 2 at plymouth now and rides well week in and week out full credit to him :)

Both Tom Perry and Ashley Morris have made huge strides for the heathens this year and both look destined to have a great future in the sport, others who have impressed me are Kyle Newman, Nick Morris and Marc Owen

Both Tom Perry and Ashley Morris have made huge strides for the heathens this year and both look destined to have a great future in the sport, others who have impressed me are Kyle Newman, Nick Morris and Marc Owen

I thought Morris would have done more this year,i se his average is just over 5,after the huge strides he made last year i expected him to be higher than that,still a great prospect tho

im Bias but either Worralls and Birks,for less that a year on a bike,have to be up there as the biggest improvers

Cook, Perry, Branford, N.Morris, Pickard, Knight

I thought Morris would have done more this year,i se his average is just over 5,after the huge strides he made last year i expected him to be higher than that,still a great prospect tho

im Bias but either Worralls and Birks,for less that a year on a bike,have to be up there as the biggest improvers

i am with you on this one

Most of the young riders have improved this season.I believe the following will progress to the premier league in the next two seasons some have already..Marc Owen .Kyle Howorth .Ashley Morris . Ben Morley .Jake Knight.Shane Hazelden. Nick Morris .Rob Branford .James Sargent .Jason Garrity of the 16yr olds ..Plus Joe Jacobs .Ashley Birks .The Worrel Bros .Tom Young ,Jaimie Pickard .Tom Perry .Paul Stark .Oliver Rayson..John Resch .Kyle Newman...It doesent look to bad for the future does it ,all these are improving and i may have missed more than one or two out..apologese to them...Have not included those young riders who have firmly established them selves in the premier and are slightly older..

Edited by waco

Both Joe Jacobs and Olly Rayson have come on leaps and bounds this season - just a shame they werent afforded the opportiunity to see the full season out at West Row!! :blink:

The lists of names mentioned on this thread just goes to show that the NL is doing its job in producing talented youngsters - up to some of the PL promoters to give them a chance to continue that progression!

Edited by neil3065

So many have improved this season and down at Plymouth Mr Pickard has become a real rider this year and has been brilliant in the past couple of months. As for the visiting riders I have seen, biggest improver from the 2009 season for me would be Kyle Newman. He used to be terrible around the SBA but impressed me greatly this season. However the most impressive guys for me were the first time visitors of Marc Owen, Steve Worrall and Nick Morris. They all went really well and had a good go at the Devils lads. As for the others Tom Perry and Jake Knight stand out.

I have to say for those non NL followers they have missed a treat this season. Been some great racing and with the exception of Morris (as he is an Aussie) it shows we do have some great British talent out there.

Ashley Morris had a slow start to the season but I bet his average over the latter half is pretty impressive and he has come on really strong.

However, Tom Perry - wow, for a rider (like Worrall & Birks) who had hardly ridden a speedway meeting, his style, skill, ability, entertainment and progress have been fantastic. From an assessed 3.00 average to something like 7.50. Most Improved Rider for me.

Elsewhere, great progress from Nick Morris who would have to be another contender.

However, Tom Perry - wow, for a rider (like Worrall & Birks) who had hardly ridden a speedway meeting, his style, skill, ability, entertainment and progress have been fantastic. From an assessed 3.00 average to something like 7.50. Most Improved Rider for me.

Still not as good as Cook last year :wink:

Still not as good as Cook last year :wink:

Still living in the past, squally? Better take that pink wig off as well.

I know I'll be seen as biased but it's Tom Perry for me. A reasonably experienced motorcyclist (for his age) perhaps but as good as no speedway experience when he started the season. For a grasstracker to master the confines of somewhere like Monmore in his first season at just 17 is impressive. And he's very much done it the hard way. He's last out of the start nearly every time and is as virtually guaranteed to go from last to first at least once a meeting with third to first likely at least once too. I will accept the majority won't have seen the best of him as he's only visited most tracks once or twice. But his home average (Monmore and PB combined) is 7.84 (9.22). He moved in to the top 5 at the first opportunity so at's not like he's had the benefit of being at reserve for most/all of the season. To me his home average, from 10 meetings, shows he can learn tracks quickly and should be a greater threat on the road next season. He's only riding speedway because he lost his apprenticeship in the recession last year and apparently in an interview for tonight's Golden Hammer programme he admits he though he'd be "rubbish at speedway". :lol: His babysitting of Anderson last week at Perry Barr was superb for someone with little experience and he came from the back in every ride (technically gated first once but passed Ando on the last bend after looking after him) and just missing out on a maximum in heat 15. Well, there's my vote and justification. :lol:

Most of the notable mentions above get my backing too. But I think rami is wrong about Ashley Morris. In the top 5 his average dropped below his start average. Though he's recovered well and been an important rider for us since dropping to reserve his average is still no more than ½ point up on his start average. That's not representative of a huge improvement in my opinion when comparing this season to last. It's certainly a huge improvement on his early season form though, and for that he should be congratulated on getting his head down and being prepared to battle to turn his form around. He's certainly one for the future and perhaps next season we'll be talking about him having made a genuine huge step forward, preferably without a set of Wolves kevs. ;):D