British Speedway Forum
ivanhoward

Most Improved Nl Rider

Jake Knight and Lewis Kerr, Lewis has not been mentioned but he only started racing this season and looks a real prospect while Jake has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of months.

Most of the notable mentions above get my backing too. But I think rami is wrong about Ashley Morris. In the top 5 his average dropped below his start average. Though he's recovered well and been an important rider for us since dropping to reserve his average is still no more than ½ point up on his start average. That's not representative of a huge improvement in my opinion when comparing this season to last. It's certainly a huge improvement on his early season form though, and for that he should be congratulated on getting his head down and being prepared to battle to turn his form around. He's certainly one for the future and perhaps next season we'll be talking about him having made a genuine huge step forward, preferably without a set of Wolves kevs. ;):D

I didnt see Ash ride last year so my comparison is to what i have seen this year, at the start of the season he struggled but in all fairness he was riding at the very difficult number 2 position, However IMO over the last 6 or 8 weeks he looks a completley different rider, im sure being at reserve has helped with his confidence and im sure his experience with edinburgh has also helped him loads. So i stick with my original posting that from the start of the season to the end of the season Ash is one of the most improved riders i have seen.

Fair enough mate. We're just taking a slightly different view on how we're comparing his improvement. I do agree that he's made a marked improvement in form since the start of the season, as I said earlier. :)

Most improved this year I reckon are Jake Knight, Adam Lowe and Kyle Newman (all from different starting points) but a lot of others have also improved a lot.

I did not consider the Worralls, Lewis Kerr, Ashley Birks and others as (amazingly) they are all first year riders so cannot be "improved" this season. Should be great fun watching them progress over the next few seasons though.

I pity all those EL and PL followers who miss this part of a riders career.

:)

Very difficult to argue with any of the suggestions here, and it is indeed encouraging to see so many British youngsters making progress.

If I had to pick one it would be Dudley's Tom Perry. I believe he is a complete speedway rookie this year yet the way he attacked the track at the Isle Of Wight was very impressive indeed.

Very difficult to argue with any of the suggestions here, and it is indeed encouraging to see so many British youngsters making progress.

If I had to pick one it would be Dudley's Tom Perry. I believe he is a complete speedway rookie this year yet the way he attacked the track at the Isle Of Wight was very impressive indeed.

I agree with most of the posts and to me the future of English talent is looking good.

One rider who does stand out to me whilst statistics do not necessarily support what I say is young Jason Garrity. Anyone who saw the way he attacked the Scunthorpe track last bank holiday Monday saw a real gem of a rider and trier. He impressed all with his style, balance and his belief that he can pass anyone. Whilst his average has been diluted by the falls he has had this season, quite often whilst well placed we could see some excellent and exciting riding next year and a vastly improved rider. I also remember the days when Peter Collins in his first year was a regular faller until he got it right.

I agree with most of the posts and to me the future of English talent is looking good.

One rider who does stand out to me whilst statistics do not necessarily support what I say is young Jason Garrity. Anyone who saw the way he attacked the Scunthorpe track last bank holiday Monday saw a real gem of a rider and trier. He impressed all with his style, balance and his belief that he can pass anyone. Whilst his average has been diluted by the falls he has had this season, quite often whilst well placed we could see some excellent and exciting riding next year and a vastly improved rider. I also remember the days when Peter Collins in his first year was a regular faller until he got it right.

I went to Newport last week to see one rider Jason Garrity, and he did not dissapoint, up and down meeting, but his effort and belief in himself were outstanding a star of the future for sure,His battle with Tony Atkin in Ht 14 was brill and yes Jason on turn 2 we all heard what you shouted at Tony on the warm down lap,and well done to you

Todd Kurtz. Has put over three points on his starting average (9.32) and is number 1 of the hornets team at the age 17. Not bad for a rider in his first season in the UK.

It is stupid including assessed riders in threads about 'Most Improved' because they have got nothing to improve on. Just as daft as including Sam Masters et al in the PL thread.

How did i forget Mr Garrity! I agree entirely with what you have said, he looked very quick around monmore green and hes certainly not short on confidence :wink: If he can calm down a bit i think he has a huge future.

what about kyle howarth ?? .. in only is 2nd season riding & riding at number 2 .. he has doubled his average and had guest rides for pl teams .. for me he's got a very bright future

i agree with ya pudding lad, there has been alot of lads this season improving, which looks good for british speedway, as long as they get the chances they deserve.

Tom Perry has doubled his average and I think Steven Worrall has also,Jason Garrity is a fine prospect but not increased his average asmuch as the 2 other guys.Also Jake Knight has made massive progress but I don't know the figures.