British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 40

Issue 40 is out now. Our latest feast of 70s-80s nostalgia includes:

SIMON WIGG – SPORTING HERO AND HIS LEGACY

As the 10th anniversary of the death of Simon Wigg approaches, we look back at the successful racing career and the life and times of one of tracksport’s most colourful and popular characters. We’ve the personal thoughts of John Berry followed by an in-depth profile by Tony McDonald, who used to ‘ghost’ Wiggy’s weekly column in Speedway Mail. They recall a supreme talent and a special person over a special 8-page tribute to one of the sport’s biggest personalities.

OXFORD REUNION

After our look back at the life and times of former Oxford star Wiggy, we’ve a bonus for Cheetahs’ fans. Even though there has been no speedway at Cowley for three years, Rob Peasley rekindled a host of memories when he attended the recent Cheetahs’ reunion, catching up with old favourites from the club’s National League era, including new interviews with Dave Perks, John Hack, Steve Crockett, Kevin Smart, Colin Meredith, Keith Booth and Malcolm Holloway.

FOREIGNERS – Top 20 of the 70s

After selecting his Top 20 British Riders of the 70s in our last issue, John Berry turns his attention to the Top 20 Foreigners of the same decade. Ivan Mauger, Ole Olsen, Anders Michanek, Phil Crump and Billy Sanders are obvious prime contenders for top 6 places but who came out on top, who made it into JB’s final cut and who was left out? His choices are bound to provoke another major debate...

BRUCE PENHALL COLUMN

The former double World Champion offers his prayers for his big mate Peter Collins, who suffered a stroke, and talks about the psychology of racing, the turning point of his British career, plus a beating he took at Glasgow.

MALCOLM SIMMONS COLUMN

The outspoken Simmo on why he wanted Tomasz Gollob to become World Champion and the pick of the Poles he raced against, plus his personal reflections on Simon Wigg and his take on the Godden GR500 engine.

TORMOD LANGLI Exclusive interview

The former Norwegian star, who had promising spells with Newport, Bristol and Halifax, tells Martin Neal about riding at two of the sport’s most despised tracks, that bizarre accident which ended his speedway career and how education set him on the right path again.

JOE OWEN Exclusive interview

Newcastle’s history is laced with superstars but none are remembered with more affection than Joe Owen, the ultimate ‘Diamond Geezer’. Here, the former Hull and Ellesmere Port ace reflects candidly on the fantastic highs and the awful lows of a fine career tragically cut short, his ongoing battle to cope with his paralysis and Joe also explains why his bitter experience has made him a better man.

MEET THE BOSS: COLIN PRATT

Continuing the series where we catch up with a promoter from the Backtrack era, this time we chat with long-serving Colin Pratt, a highly respected figure and former World Finalist who began his long stint on the other side of the fence as successful co-promoter and team boss at Rye House, had 12 seasons with Cradley Heath, team managing spells with King’s Lynn, Bradford, London Lions and England and is still very much involved at Coventry today.

1980 GRAND SLAM ANNIVERSARY: PART 3 – The World Team Cup

In this third and concluding account of England’s historic grand slam 30 years ago, Richard Bott recalls how the Lions roared in Poland to complete the treble with victory in the World Team Cup Final – and why national glory didn't delight every Englishman.

SCREENSPORT

Sky Sports have been showing domestic live matches from the British leagues since the mid-90s but they were not the first broadcaster to do so. Rob McCaffery recalls a bold plan to bring weekly speedway to UK living rooms in the 80s and explains why the stand-alone sports channel ultimately failed . . .

UNSUNG HEROES

Former USA Test rider STEVE LUCERO is the subject of our overseas rider Q&A. We catch up with ex-Coventry hopeful DAVID CLARKE and we’re On Two Minutes with JIM WELLS, formerly with Sunderland and Stoke.

To order your copy or subscribe, go to: http://www.retro-speedway.com

We’ve the personal thoughts of John Berry followed by an in-depth profile by Tony McDonald, who used to ‘ghost’ Wiggy’s weekly column in Speedway Mail.

I thought this was one of the best issues for a while, and it was good to see a balanced assessment of Simon Wigg for the first time. Clearly he was a talented rider with a flair for self-promotion (in the positive sense). Equally, I thought some of his ideas about the sport were totally unrealistic and it was good to see that John Berry holds similar views.

Enjoyed the piece from Rob McCaffrey as well.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I'd have found a place in the top 20 for Bruce Cribb and Garry Middleton.

Bruce was a heat leader in the top flight throughout the decade as well as notching a WTC medal.

Middleton may have lost his way as the decade wore on but for the first half of the 70's he was a top rider in the British League.

Nothing against Bob Valentine, who was a big favourite of mine when he appeared in Heathens colours, but I don't think he did as much as the two above.

I'd have found a place in the top 20 for Bruce Cribb and Garry Middleton.

Bruce was a heat leader in the top flight throughout the decade as well as notching a WTC medal.

Middleton may have lost his way as the decade wore on but for the first half of the 70's he was a top rider in the British League.

Nothing against Bob Valentine, who was a big favourite of mine when he appeared in Heathens colours, but I don't think he did as much as the two above.

Great to see the super article on Jim Wells in the BackTrack Magazine. Thanks again Martin Neal for a first class piece.

A lot of old British League Division Two Supporters will appreciate articles like this. Come on Tony - let's have more of the same. :):):)

Great to see the super article on Jim Wells in the BackTrack Magazine. Thanks again Martin Neal for a first class piece.

A lot of old British League Division Two Supporters will appreciate articles like this. Come on Tony - let's have more of the same. :):):)

I can confirm that plans are in hand to develop the BL2/NL side of the magazine.

I can confirm that plans are in hand to develop the BL2/NL side of the magazine.

That's GREAT news Rob - Thank you for the info. :approve::approve::approve:

That's GREAT news Rob - Thank you for the info. :approve::approve::approve:

I think you can guess who's been hired to do this ;)