British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Merlin

Steel Plates

I wonder if anyone can help me. (Most think I'm beyond help!)

I remember that a number of attempts were made in past years to handicap a small number of heatleaders. I know that at one time the top five or six riders used start 15 yards or so back from the tapes - Briggs Fundin Craven etc.

But I also have a faint recollection that steel plates were used at the starting gates for certain heatleaders to ensure that the immediate spin on the back wheel ensured that they couldn't make fast starts.

Am I correct? If so, who did it apply to and when did that take place?

I've never heard of that one Merlin - but I'll bow to others' superior knowledge.

I certainly have no knowledge of metal plates on the starting grid, the only fair starting I can recall is the concrete slab on the start line, not only was it a concrete slab but the bikes started on the middle of there grid in a narrow marked out area.

Starts were very fair then, the problem arose at the edge of the concrete it was difficult not to get an step between shale and concrete.

Looks like it was a figment of my imagination.

I've got a Glasgow programme from 1953 in which this is mentioned. Apparently, there was concern that crowds were drifting away because of the frequency of huge home wins, so the intention was to handicap the HOME team with steel plates, so they got wheel-spin out of the starts! I don't know if it was adopted to any great extent, but I think it was trialled in the programme I've got. I would have to check to be sure.

Thanks 2ndBender. I was beginning to think I'd imagined the whole thing but what you say is exactly right. To stop the first out the gate thing they wanted some riders to get more wheel spin. If you can find anything else I'd be grateful.

I've checked the programme. There was one demonstration race with steel plates in the second half. Ken McKinlay and Bob Mark went off the standard concrete gate and Tommy Miller and Junior Bainbridge went off plates. The following week's programme describes the race as an unqualified success. Miller took over two laps to pass McKinlay and Mark finished third, even after rearing at the gate. It was also mentioned that demonstrations were due to take place on all Second Division tracks, so I'll check a few more from '53. Maybe other programme buffs on this forum could do the same?

Mention of starting sufaces reminded me of way back in the 50s i used to take my old speedway JAP to the Harringay car park and spend the day sliding on the cinders, One weekend when i arrived i noticed a new section of concrete had been layed the size of a starting area. I was later told it had been put down during the week for testing. But i do not recall them ever using one.

I believe the originator of the steel plate idea was the one and only Johnnie Hoskins I did not know about the 1947 trials but it was suggested again in the early 1960's.