Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
werbie

Tom To Quit!

I can't believe after seeing the news in last week's Speedway Star, That Tom Brown is looking to retire from the sport. I remember the first time I'd seen him ride. It was at Trelawny Tigers, in 2002. He shot out of the gate and took second in his first heat, then went on to beat Chris Harris later in the meeting. He scored, if I remember correctly, 7 points in that first meeting when being brought in as cover for a reserve rider, can't remember who was injured either Jason Prynne or Simon Phillips. I was totally pleased with his enthusiasm that he showed on the night that one of my friends, originally from Wales, came with me the next meeting to cheer him on. Unfortunately it was the meeting where he started gating really well and in his 2nd ride gated and was leading Harris before getting a little out of shape on the 3rd & 4th bend, where he ended up crashing through the barrier and into the pits! I thought he wouldn't be back after hearing what he'd done to his back. Even turning up at the end of season party in a specially made back restraint, and then returning to the sport. I have always followed him from team to team. Even if I can't get to see him ride, would always look for his performances in the Speedway Star. He has had some horrible injuries but has always shown a hunger for the sport, week to week, season to season. I would hope to think that this is not his bow from the sport, as the league has lost a lot of the most entertaining riders, and this would mean one of the top 5 entertaining riders lost too. I wish him and his wife all the best for the future with their planned baby on the way, but would love to see him continue with the sport. So many would love to see him back in Plymouth Devil's colours! A very loved rider I'm sure you would all agree.

A great shame Tom is packing up, I'm sure he will be looking forward to the sleepless nights come January :P

You can see his last home team appearance for the Wildcats this Saturday against the USA Touring Team :wink:

Sad news indeed , Tom 's a great guy who always gives 100% , good luck in the future what ever it holds

Tom will indeed be missed - he's been great to watch on track.

Good luck for the future Tom!

Such a shame, he is an amazing person who puts 100% into everything, I remember him at 1 of newport training schools and he was stood there talking to me and my dad like he known us for ages, such a great guy and hes welsh :P !! Best of luck to what he does in the future :)

Tom is such an exciting rider and has so dedicated himself to speedway. It seems a shame he is retiring at a relatively early age. Also that there is such a limited opportunity to say farewell to him.

Here's one person that hopes you change your mind Tom next season!

Such a nice lad shame he is packing up :(

Given the problems he had earlier in his life it is pretty incredible that he has had the career he did.

When he raced for Berwick he was such a 100% racer you always knew he was trying the best he could, so much so that he was guilty of a daft fall now and then. Tom is a genuine nice guy.

I wish him all the best in the future.

Pity he was never really given a go for Stoke and with all the problems we have had over the years I'm surprised he never was, although I suspect that he didn't get on with the promoter; only guessing there. Always enjoyed watching Tom ride and wish him all the best in the future where ever that takes him.

Tom guested at Eastbourne once, he had a bigger queue of people wanting his autograph than any other rider, including the then World Champion Nicki Pedersen :D

100% racer, 100% tryer true entertainer wherever he has been, such a shame that his career was plighted with injuries, all the best for the future :)

Big blow to Welsh Speedway that the original Welsh Wizard Phil Morris retired last year and the self titled Welsh Wizard is returning this.

Sorry to hear this. One of the real genuine personalities of the NL. Entertaining on track and one of the best communicators in Speedway with fans of all ages. Top bloke too. Each of his teams should count themselves lucky that he graced their colours during his career.

Best wishes to Tom and his family whether the future includes a return to Speedway or not.

:)

Genuinely sorry to hear Tom is packing in speedway, he is one of those riders I would gladly pay to watch, a pure entertainer who never ever gave anything other than 100%. To be honest, he was one of my favourite riders !!

I always enjoyed watching Tom when he rode for Berwick and always tried to keep an eye on his scores when he wasn't riding for us as the times I spoke to him, he always seemed keen, enthusiastic and very very friendly.

Best wishes for the future Tom, whatever it holds for you.