British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Ben Barker V Tai Woffinden

Lets face it its not the first time that riders have had a bit of a set to, and won't be the last.

Barker must have been jealous of Woffindens riding ability.

Or, perhaps, Ben was jealous that Tai's voice has broken and his hasn't yet lol!

Lets face it its not the first time that riders have had a bit of a set to, and won't be the last.

Yep,but we have the internet nowadays so it`s not so secret when it happens :lol:,and it gives all those with fine upstanding virtues the chance to say how outraged they are about it when they find out :P

..........and it gives all those with fine upstanding virtues the chance to say how outraged they are about it when they find out :P

Not to mention blaming it on Tai's Australian upbringing.

Always get yer retaliation in first, I reckon.

it was to do with tai stating to others that british speedway has never done anything for him and never will do, then waving his aussie passport around, ben told him to go back to aus then, tai did not like the comment, i do believe not many british riders are happy with golden boy tai, this comes from a very reliable source :angry:

it was to do with tai stating to others that british speedway has never done anything for him and never will do, then waving his aussie passport around, ben told him to go back to aus then, tai did not like the comment, i do believe not many british riders are happy with golden boy tai, this comes from a very reliable source :angry:

And which reliable source was this. I hope you are not going to say it was from the 'word is' brigade.

not from brigade, somebody that was also around when words were being exchanged

i do believe not many british riders are happy with golden boy tai, this comes from a very reliable source :angry:

Tall Poppy Syndrome alive and well over there?

Edit: The Macquarie Dictionary defines Tall Poppy Syndrome (TPS) as 'a desire to diminish in stature those people who have attained excellence'.

Edited by BigFatDave

I hear that Ben Barker and Tai Woffinden had a right old set to, with both sporting black eyes, cuts and bruises.

What's that all about then?

Monday 11th October .... Monmore Green .... Tai has 9 rides ... wins 6 ... second in 2 .... last in 1

looked good on the track ..... even better off it with not a blemish on him .... not even a black head !!

If true, nice one Tai.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tall Poppy Syndrome alive and well over there?

Edit: The Macquarie Dictionary defines Tall Poppy Syndrome (TPS) as 'a desire to diminish in stature those people who have attained excellence'.

I like Tai, and hope to see him progress into one of the best in the world, but he sure hasn't attained excellence yet! :blink:

I like Tai, and hope to see him progress into one of the best in the world, but he sure hasn't attained excellence yet! :blink:

Maybe you'd prefer Wikipedia's view: Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Certainly I think Tai's done pretty well in the last couple of years, although the GPs this season has proved to be A Bridge Too Far.

i would also agree with you tai has and is doing really well, 1st year at gp level is a hard transition but he will get better,just everyone hypes him up and he can do no wrong and to be fair there are many riders that are also doing well, everyone has good days and bad days, when tai snubes british speedway, me as a speedway fan am disheartened of that attitude towards his fans and the clubs, that have helped him along in his career,

Maybe you'd prefer Wikipedia's view: Tall poppy syndrome (TPS) is a pejorative term used in the UK, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand to describe a social phenomenon in which people of genuine merit are resented, attacked, cut down, or criticised because their talents or achievements elevate them above or distinguish them from their peers.

Certainly I think Tai's done pretty well in the last couple of years, although the GPs this season has proved to be A Bridge Too Far.

I don't think anyone resents the success Tai has had in his career to date. What some other British riders may resent though, if Jayb's comment is a true reflection of what what allegedly happened, is a current member of Team GB showing disrespect for the nation he has chosen to represent possibly at their cost.