British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

NL Treated with Contempt

The meeting was postponed after the speedway star went to press.

Oddly though, no mention of the event in any text piece in the mag. One would normally expect a preview piece for an event like the NLRC.. Also the piece in the NL pages about Bournemouth mentions that Brundle & Herne hope to be back fit for Sunday's match at Newport but not - as the press release I know read... - for Saturday's Fours..

I wonder exactly WHEN the decision to scrap the NLRC & Fours was made..?

Interesting point too about why hasn't the YS semi RH leg not simply be slotted in as the replacement event on Saturday - as opposed to Sunday...? Odd that, coz on Sunday (as mentioned above) the Newport NL side have that crucial P/O semi vs. the Buccs... Surely Newport would've preferred these two meetings not to clash...

So many questions, sod all in the way of answers..

Oddly though, no mention of the event in any text piece in the mag. One would normally expect a preview piece for an event like the NLRC.. Also the piece in the NL pages about Bournemouth mentions that Brundle & Herne hope to be back fit for Sunday's match at Newport but not - as the press release I know read... - for Saturday's Fours..

I wonder exactly WHEN the decision to scrap the NLRC & Fours was made..?

Interesting point too about why hasn't the YS semi RH leg not simply be slotted in as the replacement event on Saturday - as opposed to Sunday...? Odd that, coz on Sunday (as mentioned above) the Newport NL side have that crucial P/O semi vs. the Buccs... Surely Newport would've preferred these two meetings not to clash...

So many questions, sod all in the way of answers..

I have no answers but have to say that the whole situation has been dealt with unprofessionally and without any respect to so many fans whoever they support. As far as Rye House is concerned they should not be permitted to stage any official individual or team event again.

Right, so the BSPA say this has to be cancelled due to the Young Shield, so why all the moaning at Rye? Len took on the fours and has obviously tried to make sure this goes ahead, yet the sports ruling body are the ones depriving the fans and riders of the event it seems.

This has been an absolute shambles no doubt but the blame should not be placed at Ryes door here.

The BSPA only insisted the YS Semi was raced this weekend, it is Len that is saying the track can’t cope with racing over both days (despite doing this previously) so therefore we can only conclude that it was Len that postponed Saturday’s events ?

If that is the case then Rye are to blame for all this mess.icon_smile_wink.gif

.... I wonder how many who just use the Star and/or their programmes as the principle guide are going to turn up on Saturday....

I got a phone call tonight from a speedway friend, and in passing I mentioned that it was a shame that I wouldn't see him at the NLRC on Saturday. He was unaware that it had been cancelled, and would of course be none the wiser if he relied on Speedway Star. (..and he doesn't do the internet)

Anyone care to estimate how many people will turn up on Saturday? And how many people have incurred non-refundable costs on train tickets or hotel rooms?

Maybe we should get Gillet and Hicks to run British speedway :angry:

It makes you wonder why they cant just stage this at Monmore Green. Dudley have recently announced an end of season challenge with Stoke so why couldnt that date be used for it, I would like to think this is more important then an inter-league challenge. I know it would be a Tuesday but the weekends are always crammed full with other fixtures plus it would be on a fantastic race track in a stadium use to holding big events.

Edited by Brummie Kev

It makes you wonder why they cant just stage this at Monmore Green. Dudley have recently announced an end of season challenge with Stoke so why couldnt that date be used for it, I would like to think this is more important then an inter-league challenge. I know it would be a Tuesday but the weekends are always crammed full with other fixtures plus it would be on a fantastic race track in a stadium use to holding big events.

I couldn't agree more. They should've made the decision to hold the Fours final at Monmore Green months ago...! That may be dead in the water now but yes, the NLRC staged by Dudley at Wolverhampton is indeed an excellent idea. Certainly would give the clubs a boost as a well-attended shared event...

I'm fairly sure that any attempt to rearrange at Rye House even if there was the slightest desire to do so, would attract a derisory crowd now...

I'm talking maybe £2k or £3k out of the Sky £5M. that's not impractical...it's petty cash.

Just realised Belle Vue held a successful NL meeting against the Americans on Monday, and Ipswich are doing the same tonight. So your argument doesn't hold water there either.

I'd say that a small donation would be very reasonable, John, but its not going to happen.

According to the texter at the Belle Vue match the crowd was 'Crowd is pretty poor which is a shame', despite low entry prices and being billed as a tribute to Kelly Moran. The match at Ipswich featured Danny King, Ryan Fisher, Ricky Wells, Kozza Smith amongst others so it was hardly NL standard. I can't see anything to suggest what the gate was like and it would be interesting to find out.

My experience is that perhaps with exception of the PL 4's neutral venues don't work and I'd say holding a meeting at a neutral venue, with a far lower standard of rider mid week and a huge distance away from most NL circuits would be asking for a financial disaster.

Read more: http://speedwayupdates.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=inter&action=display&thread=7152&page=1#ixzz12OzkZWTJ

There is no such place! Did you mean Perry Barr or Wolverhampton?

:D

Either (although as a personal preference I'd say Wolverhampton).

Dudley have some of the biggest gates in British Speedway and if it could be arranged for a weekend I suspect many would travel.

Right, so the BSPA say this has to be cancelled due to the Young Shield, so why all the moaning at Rye? Len took on the fours and has obviously tried to make sure this goes ahead, yet the sports ruling body are the ones depriving the fans and riders of the event it seems.

This has been an absolute shambles no doubt but the blame should not be placed at Ryes door here.

The question is why have the BSPA cancelled this meeting ?

I think it is very easy to blame them when at this stage I can't see any other reason than fixture congestion at Rye House.

Would be very interesting to find out the exact cause.

'Shambles' is a very good description indeed.

Hi i am back what a good idea to use wolverhampton. Come on C V S save speedways face put on the fours and N L R C you have a venue and fann base to do the meeting proud.I heard Dudley wanted more meetings before the season ends this would be a great way to finnish a brilliant end to there first season back. :D

Come on CVS. 25th or 26th October at Monmore Green. big crowd, great atmosphere in an excellent venue on a really good racing track. You, Patch and Nigel can pull this off. Just like 'Thunderbirds'

You know you want to!!!

It would be a great idea, to hold the NL Fours, and The NLRC either on a Tuesday night or a Sunday at Monmore, Great Facilities and would be another big crowd, to bring the curtain down on a great first season for "The Heathens" bring it on.

with rye looking odds on to qualify for the young shield final i can't see these meetings being staged at hoddesdon. :unsure:

with rye looking odds on to qualify for the young shield final i can't see these meetings being staged at hoddesdon. :unsure:

The NL fours and championship do go ahead at Rye on 31st October in place of the Ace of Hearts.

The NL fours and championship do go ahead at Rye on 31st October in place of the Ace of Hearts.

i was there today and heard the same thing. let's hope the weather holds so it gets run. :unsure:

i was there today and heard the same thing. let's hope the weather holds so it gets run. :unsure:

Yeh, yeh, yeh... I'm afraid for many it's gonna be a case of the boy who cried wolf.. Can't imagine a single person bothering to travel any distance for this on the vaguest of chances that it'll be on....

Er, two Sundays left of the season.

Buxton in both the KOC Final and the Play Off Final...

The first leg of the KOC Final scheduled for next Sunday 24/10... So that would seem to rule out that date for either home or away P/O Final leg...

So how do we reckon that the NLRC & Fours can happen on the 31st. without that clashing with the Play Off Final - either the Buxton or Newport-staged first leg...? :blink: