British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pawlicki And His Average Manipulation

An interesting column from Matt Ford in last nights Poole program.

"Finally, and most importantly, the last thing I want to do is rain on Coventrys celebration parade in 48 hours time at Brandon, but I would like to draw attention to the following important fact.

On September 13th, their key reserve Pawlicki was in fine fettle scoring 7 points in Bees semi-final first leg against Peterborough.

A week latter he was in the Bees side bagging another 5 rides at Peterborough in the playoff semi-final second leg.

However, in between these meetings, Coventry had a league meeting at Swindon on September 16th, a match that would have seen Pawlicki reach 12 meetings for an official average running after 11 meetings at 6.18.

This would have seen Pawlicki promoted into the Bees top five for both legs of the Playoff final and also providing his actual average for next year.

But here's the thing. Pawlicki suffed an injury preventing him from riding at Swindon. it ruled him unfit to ride at Swindon, but fit enough for the playoff meetings.

So he remained on an assessed 4 point average - and was avalable to drip feed the Coventry management to use at reserve for both legs of the final. Pawlicki scored 26 points compared to Sweetmans 6 over 30 heats.

Would it have been different had Pawlicki been inthe team with Sweetman at reerve? We will never know. But it would have been nice to have had the oportunity to face Bees in the right riing order.

All I know is I have had 5 fellow Elite Legue promoters contact me voicing their concerns over his inclusion at reserve. I'll leave you all to form your own opinions about how we feel over the whole matter."

END.

The fact that Pawlicki rode in POland (and won the meeting) but was too injured to ride for Coventry at Swindon looks like it's going to come back and bite him and Coventry on the bum. With 6 EL promoters far from happy with the manipulation that has taken place, and the fact that every rider has to have his average for 2011 rattified at the bSPA conference, it's not looking good for Pawlicki and Coventry teams building plans in 2011.

Parhaps Rosco made a mistake in saying that Pawlicki ws "injured and not fit to ride at Swindon". He was certainly fit enough to win an individual in Poland.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

It's not really a problem. Coventry didn't use a facility. They can drop a rider and use their no 8 any time they want. Swindon, for example, did the same with Morten Risager and Justin Sedgman a few times. It is, perhaps, a bit sneaky by Coventry but there's nothing wrong with it.

I would, however, expect Pawlicki to be given his higher average for team building next year having had more than 8 matches.

Edited by Grachan

No rules were broken otherwise the BSPA wouldn't have let it stand.

Poole should know, they are up to it every year :D

Coventry deserve their title and the comments in Poole's program are Matt's opinion. I do however feel that rules do need to be changed for next season so that the strategy to win the league doesn't become to drop averages, bring in new riders, scrape into the play offs and win it all. Perhaps having riders race all year on their starting average is one option though a rider genuinely losing form may then find himself unemployable if dropped.

An interesting column from Matt Ford in last nights Poole program.

"Finally, and most importantly, the last thing I want to do is rain on Coventrys celebration parade in 48 hours time at Brandon, but I would like to draw attention to the following important fact.

On September 13th, their key reserve Pawlicki was in fine fettle scoring 7 points in Bees semi-final first leg against Peterborough.

A week latter he was in the Bees side bagging another 5 rides at Peterborough in the playoff semi-final second leg.

However, in between these meetings, Coventry had a league meeting at Swindon on September 16th, a match that would have seen Pawlicki reach 12 meetings for an official average running after 11 meetings at 6.18.

This would have seen Pawlicki promoted into the Bees top five for both legs of the Playoff final and also providing his actual average for next year.

But here's the thing. Pawlicki suffed an injury preventing him from riding at Swindon. it ruled him unfit to ride at Swindon, but fit enough for the playoff meetings.

So he remained on an assessed 4 point average - and was avalable to drip feed the Coventry management to use at reserve for both legs of the final. Pawlicki scored 26 points compared to Sweetmans 6 over 30 heats.

Would it have been different had Pawlicki been inthe team with Sweetman at reerve? We will never know. But it would have been nice to have had the oportunity to face Bees in the right riing order.

All I know is I have had 5 fellow Elite Legue promoters contact me voicing their concerns over his inclusion at reserve. I'll leave you all to form your own opinions about how we feel over the whole matter."

END.

The fact that Pawlicki rode in POland (and won the meeting) but was too injured to ride for Coventry at Swindon looks like it's going to come back and bite him and Coventry on the bum. With 6 EL promoters far from happy with the manipulation that has taken place, and the fact that every rider has to have his average for 2011 rattified at the bSPA conference, it's not looking good for Pawlicki and Coventry teams building plans in 2011.

Parhaps Rosco made a mistake in saying that Pawlicki ws "injured and not fit to ride at Swindon". He was certainly fit enough to win an individual in Poland.

Unfortunately it always the same when Poole get out maneuvered by another EL side, Fords cacking it that Coventry will start next year with an advantage from the start with Pawlicki on a 4.00 when in reality he is a 7 pt rider.

Its just plain sour grapes.

2010 EL Champions - Coventry

2010 Runners Up - Poole

Edited by bigcatdiary

If Coventry told Pawlicki they were not going to use him at Swindon, then why shouldn't he ride in Poland?

Maybe he just wanted to see how his broken thumb stood up to the rigours of racing?

The injury was a genuine Speedway injury, a consequence of the crash in the Televised Play Off Semi-Final at Peterborough, not a

dodgy shoulder!

And as others have pointed out..... No rules were broken!

ATB

Dave

I thought Shovlar's absence for a week would have got over those sour grapes.

Still waiting for his match report...

It's almost unbelievable that Ford could make a statement like this in the same week that one of his own off form riders goes down with a one day mystery illness that gives Poole a distinct advantage at Peterborough.

It's almost unbelievable that Ford could make a statement like this in the same week that one of his own off form riders goes down with a one day mystery illness that gives Poole a distinct advantage at Peterborough.

Then why didn't we keep Artur out yesterday " just to make sure"?

He was genuinely ill. Pawlicki ws not, proved by his riding in Poland ( and winning the meeting)

Game up on geting Pawlicki on a 4 for 2011. He will now come in on 6.18 by the look of it.

Did Pawlicki win the meeting in Poland ? I am not sure if Shovlar has mentioned this point yet. :lol:

The majority of Poole fans have taken the defeat on the chin and looked inwards for reasons as to why they did not win the title, such as King Artur wobbling about like a court jester, I expected more from the promotion of the club. To the majority of Poole fans you are a credit to your club, sadly the Promoters comments will no doubt bring on a whole new wave of ill feeling to your club and it smacks of a small child not getting their own way.

Can't really be sour grapes if 5 other promoters have a problem with it as well....

If they existed probably not but we only have Fords word for that and unfortunately I dont believe him.

Edited by bigcatdiary

Can't really be sour grapes if 5 other promoters have a problem with it as well....

Because those 5 other promoters won the league too :blink:

Pawlicki missed the meeting with a broken thumb, he rode through the pain barrier in the playoffs, getting treatment on it before and during the meetings.

Also Sweetman did very well in both legs, and would have cleaned up at reserve too. Maybe he wouldnt have scored quite as many as Pawlicki, but Pawlicki would've scored more than Sweetman at number 2.