British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Pawlicki And His Average Manipulation

Looks like Pawlicki lost a run off for first place against Protasiewicz in an individual meeting in Poland this afternoon. He was up against a quality field and should be very useful for Coventry next year starting on a 4 point average. :lol:

Bet he doesn' :wink: t!!

I dont know why you all keep biting.............He's done some good fishing here , as the amount of pages testify ;)

because its good fun!!!!!

if u throw a line out once you could call it fishing.

to keep it going is serious !!!!!

Shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Read Steve Shovlar's bigoted and sour grapes view on Poole's 2010 EL Playoff'

Perhaps then we wouldn't have 28 pages (so far) of unsportmanship from the 'CHOKER' fan... :P

Lindback came in on a 4, which was correct.

But did he not ride the tail end of one season, not do enough meetings to get an average and therefore start the following season on a 4.00 average 1

But did he not ride the tail end of one season, not do enough meetings to get an average and therefore start the following season on a 4.00 average 1

He did come in on the tail end of a season....we trialled him in the BLC and he got a max against Exeter and I thought why has it taken so long to get him in.

Thats right. He rode a few BLC meetings as Bazaar said. So he was brought in the following year, on a 4, which is what he would have been brought in on regardless of his trial the season before.

No argument here. He was always a 4 pointer

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coventry stitched up at the AGM re. Pawlicki, but any more than a 5 ave would be very unfair for team building. Looking at the averages it seems that in any event, both Pirates and Bees will have pretty tidy teams for 2011.

Poole will probably have Holder, Bjarne, Ward, Madsen, Doyle and Sundstrom as their main six with whatever left filling the final reserve berth. Watt on the scrapheap again I guess.

Coventry should run with maybe Kasper, Harris, Pawlicki, Barker, Kennet and Larsen or Bach or maybe both. I things go against then maybe Bridger stays and one of kennet or barker takes a year out?

Million and one options for both teams, but I expect both to be in contention again next season.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coventry stitched up at the AGM re. Pawlicki, but any more than a 5 ave would be very unfair for team building.

Stitched up? Coventry have tried o stitch up the rest of the EL teams by leaving out Pawlicki from the Swindon meeting.

You are right. I do agree he shouldn't come in on a 5 average though. That would be wrong.

It should be 6.18.

Edited by Steve Shovlar

Coventry deserve their title and the comments in Poole's program are Matt's opinion. I do however feel that rules do need to be changed for next season so that the strategy to win the league doesn't become to drop averages, bring in new riders, scrape into the play offs and win it all. Perhaps having riders race all year on their starting average is one option though a rider genuinely losing form may then find himself unemployable if dropped.

Indeed - Coventry would have been negligent had they not ensured their 6 point man continued at reserve. Every other team in the league would have done the same. However this just shows why so many sports fans refuse to take speedway seriously, although I suspect many Liverpool fans might take heart from where Coventry were early in the season and wonder if they could replace Lucas with Rooney.... (except of course football doesn't have riders averages than can be manipulated to suit.

Stitched up? Coventry have tried o stitch up the rest of the EL teams by leaving out Pawlicki from the Swindon meeting.

You are right. I do agree he shouldn't come in on a 5 average though. That would be wrong.

It should be a 4 because within the rules he has not done enough meetings to gain an average - find of the season I would say although I am pretty sure you were saying King Artur was earlier in the season Ho Ho Ho

Belle Vue have set a precedence because they did exactly the same in 2008 with Hougaard. He rode in 11 meetings and came in on a 4 point average in 2009 even though his 11 match average was higher. Don't remember anybody kicking up a fuss about that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Coventry stitched up at the AGM re. Pawlicki, but any more than a 5 ave would be very unfair for team building.

He somehow missed 13 chances to ride his twelfth match. Stitched up? No way - if ever there was a case for the Joe Screen Amendment to be implemented this is it!

Edited by Barney Rabbit

Indeed - Coventry would have been negligent had they not ensured their 6 point man continued at reserve. Every other team in the league would have done the same. However this just shows why so many sports fans refuse to take speedway seriously, although I suspect many Liverpool fans might take heart from where Coventry were early in the season and wonder if they could replace Lucas with Rooney.... (except of course football doesn't have riders averages than can be manipulated to suit.

You can't win, we often have people saying speedway is a joke due to the lack of a squad system. Coventry use one and people then claim, "this just shows why so many sports fans refuse to take speedway seriously". Frankly, no speedway fan (and a lot of speedway fans) will have no idea what this fuss is about.