British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Top 20 Brits Of The 80s

Adams,Sigalos,Jessup,Sanders,Carter are all riders who could of won the WC but for some all different reasons didnt i would place DJ behind all of them named.

Not all Brits though.

Not all Brits though.

Damn - I was just about to Post that.

Kevin Smith. Should have been a far better rider than he was at his peak. Could have been in the Scott Nicholls Tai Woffinden bracket. Definately retired far to early. But there you go, hindsight and all that..

Kevin Smith. Should have been a far better rider than he was at his peak. Could have been in the Scott Nicholls Tai Woffinden bracket. Definately retired far to early. But there you go, hindsight and all that..

I think Kevin suffered from riding at Poole when they were struggling financially in the early 80's. Looked very promising in 1980/81, but then seemed to stagnate. If I remember didn't he even take a break from the sport in 1984 which was the last one for the Pirates in the top division? Can remember him riding in the NL for the Wildcats but was still surprised he retired when he did.

I think Kevin suffered from riding at Poole when they were struggling financially in the early 80's. Looked very promising in 1980/81, but then seemed to stagnate. If I remember didn't he even take a break from the sport in 1984 which was the last one for the Pirates in the top division? Can remember him riding in the NL for the Wildcats but was still surprised he retired when he did.

He did, but he openly admits himself he retired to early.. When he was riding for Rye he was averaging 9.94 at No 4. That was in his teens, He now helps out a Poole Cycle Speedway, his son Arron rides for them. But i always said, he was a very good talent. who did, imo retire to early.

Edited by Starman2006

Kev enjoyed the beach life too much. Was a superb talent, who has admitted to me recently would love to have a few laps now.