British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Swift Saint

Stoke Spitfires V Dudley Heathens (staffs Cup)

Arrangements have been confirmed that this event for the Staffordshire Cup will take place at Loomer Road on Saturday 23rd October 2010 at 7.30pm. Unfortunately, it is a now one off event following 6the rain-off at Monmore Green on Tuesday which will not be re-staged.

All of the available Heathens' riders will be taking part supported by guests for the injured Tom Perry and also for Micky Dyer with Robert Bramford named as a replacement. Changes in the Stoke line up from Tuesday will also take place but a definite starter is former Potter Tony Atkin and there is a very strong Potters look about the teams with Lee Smart and Barrie Evans riding for Dudley and Jamie Pickard named for Stoke and other ex-Stoke riders also being considered.

Stoke Promoter, Dave Tattum said "We plan to field a very competitive Stoke side to match the Heathens so both sets of supporters will have something to cheer. Of course it is also a final opportunity for Heathen's fans to see their team in action in 2010 and it is only 40 minutes up the road so we should all enjoy a great evening with the opportunity of looking at some young riders who could have a part to play in the future".

The finalised teams will be announced as soon as possible.

Malcolm Vasey

I have a feeling Dudley will be without more riders than the proposed meeting on tuesday,I don't know for sure but have read that the team will be 'very depleated' which wasn't mentioned when Dyer and Perry were missing from the original home leg.

c/o www.dudleyspeedway.com

DUDLEY have named their side for the one-off Staffordshire Cup tie at Stoke on Saturday (7.30).

The former Cradley club are without Tom Perry due to a fractured wrist, Ashley Morris is riding for his Premier League club Edinburgh and Aussie duo Jake Anderson and Micky Dyer have sent their equipment home for the winter.

But Heathens boss Will Pottinger has come up trumps with replacements by drafting in squad member Darryl Ritchings to partner Richard Franklin at reserve.

Luke Priest, Jack Hargreaves and Robert Branford have been drafted in as cover for Dudley's last outing of this remarkable season. There will be no return leg due to the unavailability of riders and venues.

Boss Pottinger said: "This is the last chance for our fans to see the boys in action and we'd love to go up there and win a trophy."

Stoke's Loomer Road track was the temporary home of the Heathens when they lost their Dudley Wood home in 1996.

And it will be a night of mixed emotions for Dudley skipper Lee Smart who has doubled-up with Stoke's Premier League team this season - and won their rider of the year award!

STOKE: Ashley Birks, Tony Atkin, Steve Worrall, Gary Irving, Richie Worrall, Jaimie Pickard.

HEATHENS: Lee Smart, Luke Priest, Jack Hargreaves, Robert Branford, Barrie Evans, James Sarjeant, Richard Franklin.

Edited by willp

Apologies first because this is going to be negative.

This is nothing like what we were initially led to believe, with Stoke just naming a NL select side. There's nothing that can be done about Perry picking up an injury last weekend (ATB 'Fred') but Dyer pulling out last minute was a shock to the fans too. And now there are three guests included in the Heathens line-up as well as having to draft in our number 8. And if you count Evans as an injury replacement, which he is, there are only two season-long Heathens riders in the meeting and not a single Stoke rider (unless you want to technically count Smart twice). Andersen and Dyer have apparently sent their equipment home. Good job we didn't qualify for the KOC or PO final then!! I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. We were knocked out on Sunday afternoon and Dyer had all his equipment in a crate and Australia-bound the next day so couldn't ride on Tuesday? Even if it's true could they not borrow a bike and put on a show for the Heathens fans that have backed them this season?

But to end on a couple of positives it's good to see Jack will be back on a bike this weekend.

It's been a terrific season for the Heathens and despite my moaning above it important to stress that. Many thanks to everyone that has been a part of it and particularly those that made it happen. :approve:

Andersen and Dyer have apparently sent their equipment home. Good job we didn't qualify for the KOC or PO final then!! I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. We were knocked out on Sunday afternoon and Dyer had all his equipment in a crate and Australia-bound the next day so couldn't ride on Tuesday? Even if it's true could they not borrow a bike and put on a show for the Heathens fans that have backed them this season?

Lucky lads - they have all-year Speedway ... British Summer team riding and then Australian Summer individual riding... and people wonder why Aussie seem better riders. And yet the country that gives them the opportunity to learn how to team ride gets shafted when the lure of the chance of Individual glory in their own country comes around...

It's OK saying that more Brits could go to Oz for the winter - but are there financial gains to be made riding as an individual? Team riding gives the opportunity for earning. And anyway - I've been reading that some Aussies aren't particularily happy with young Brits going over and riding in their Individual meets and taking Aussie riders places... sound familiar? But at least our guys go over as Brits - no patriality card to play in that direction...

it is only 40 minutes up the road
I take it Dave hasnt traveled up from Dudley recently, with the numerous road works you would be very lucky to do it in that time, more likely 1 hour.

This is nothing like what we were initially led to believe, with Stoke just naming a NL select side. There's nothing that can be done about Perry picking up an injury last weekend (ATB 'Fred') but Dyer pulling out last minute was a shock to the fans too. And now there are three guests included in the Heathens line-up as well as having to draft in our number 8. And if you count Evans as an injury replacement, which he is, there are only two season-long Heathens riders in the meeting and not a single Stoke rider (unless you want to technically count Smart twice). Andersen and Dyer have apparently sent their equipment home. Good job we didn't qualify for the KOC or PO final then!! I'm sorry but I just don't buy it. We were knocked out on Sunday afternoon and Dyer had all his equipment in a crate and Australia-bound the next day so couldn't ride on Tuesday? Even if it's true could they not borrow a bike and put on a show for the Heathens fans that have backed them this season?

But to end on a couple of positives it's good to see Jack will be back on a bike this weekend.

It's been a terrific season for the Heathens and despite my moaning above it important to stress that. Many thanks to everyone that has been a part of it and particularly those that made it happen. :approve:

agree with all the positive and negative comments

if dudley would have reached any finals jake and micky would have been riding.the problem is the only equipment they have is here,and they both want/have big aspirations for the upcoming aussie season.the only way they can ride is to get their equipment back asap, the paperwork including custom clearance takes ages, therefore the grand scheme of things missing the staffs cup is not the end of the world for the team nor jake and micky

I am going to make my way up for this one, get a meeting in before the season ends. Hope this goes on as the weather could be a little dodgy tomorrow

I hope the management of Dudley Heathens have had words with Jake and Micky because what they have supposed to of done in sending equipment home is extremely unprofessional as the season doesn't officially end until the end of the month.I will be at Stoke saturday but I feel let down!

they both want/have big aspirations for the upcoming aussie season therefore the grand scheme of things missing the staffs cup is not the end of the world for jake and micky

No apologies for snipping the post...

What about the sponsors and the supporters? Even if the rest of the team and the promoters don't care there seems a lack of committment from the Australian riders.

What if there were more meetings? The team would have had to race with missing riders. A 5 man team in a Final would not have looked good and no guests would/should have been available.

It's not that there is no 'proper' meeting - it's the principle of the situation and the fact that the team is not as important to them as the Individual meetings in the Ausrallian season...

Have to totally agree with your comments. Their travel arangements have not just been rearranged because Dudley did not make a final, they have been planned for some time and they would have left Dudley in a very difficult position had they not lost against Buxton. The season finishes on the 31st October, not the middle of October.

Jake & Micky dont go home till the 3rd November.

I can only presume they have been allowed to start sending kit back for a busy winter schedule back home following the Heathens exit from major competitions.

Jake & Micky dont go home till the 3rd November.

I can only presume they have been allowed to start sending kit back for a busy winter schedule back home following the Heathens exit from major competitions.

they may have to send their kit over by sea, and have to book them into a ships container,I think that a group of riders club together to get a good price.

If the flights are booked for early november, the kit may not get there till a week after, maybe longer