British Speedway Forum
chris1

Newport V Buxton - Nl Playoff 29/10

After seeing the weather forecast for this week - Fri is currently dire, heavy rain. What would happen if one or both legs of this tie were to get called off as Sun is the last day of the season.

In the past, meetings from earlier in the year between the two teams at the same venue have been used to cover league meetings that weren't completed by the end of October.

I dont ever recall that happening retrospectively and couldn't surely for a Play Off Final.

Certainly not as far as I rememeber in the third tier only when stated in advance has a match counted for League and CUp. (Mildenhall and Stoke for instance 1995) and others like that but not recently.

Perhaps I have missed something

Malcolm Vasey

Edited by Proud Potter

In the past, meetings from earlier in the year between the two teams at the same venue have been used to cover league meetings that weren't completed by the end of October.

Really?

Could the trophy be shared? Or what happens if only the leg at Buxton is run? Would the Hitmen be declared Champions if they won the home leg?

Edited by Killer Cat from Mars

What would be wrong with simply running it in Nov? Even though fixtures need to be completed you have to have a winner in each competition, period.

I heard at the track yesterday that if only 1 leg of the each final is run, then that result will determine the winner. Daft, I know...

Or give it to Dudley for actually finishing top of the league.

They've not finished top yet - Buxton could still win at King's Lynn by enough points to go top! :P

Or give it to Dudley for actually finishing top of the league.

But they were eliminated from the Play-offs to decide the Champions.

I has to be decided on one leg only if that is all that is held because of the weather.

But the prgramme should have been complete by mid-October to ensure that there was a contingency date in my opinion.

Malcolm Vasey

Didn't at one point, a few years ago, the league come down to 2 meetings on a neutral track? It was held as a double header at Stoke, and from memory, Mildenhall and Sheffield were both involved in it...

I remember it was to decide the league as there was issues due to the unavailability of the tracks involved

But they were eliminated from the Play-offs to decide the Champions.

I has to be decided on one leg only if that is all that is held because of the weather.

But the prgramme should have been complete by mid-October to ensure that there was a contingency date in my opinion.

Malcolm Vasey

too right, there are a few important meetings being staged on the last weekend of the season. no doubt everyone will be praying the rain stays away. :unsure:

If both legs were washouts surely as the two clubs have already raced each other home and away in the National League you would combine those two scores to come up with a winner.

Only fair way i can think of.

Chopper

If both legs were washouts surely as the two clubs have already raced each other home and away in the National League you would combine those two scores to come up with a winner.

Only fair way i can think of.

Chopper

Surely if neither legs take place both teams sharing it would be fairer.

Surely if neither legs take place both teams sharing it would be fairer.

Absolutely right

I cant imagine for a moment that those advocating the use of past results have not worked out what that would produce.

This a a play off Final not a retrospective paper exercise.

Malcolm Vasey